Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Sometimes I think the guy who designed this hull looks something like this...

Alien_aliens_for_peace.png

I resemble that remark! I thought my design feature of the mini-tunnel in the pad would create some excitement in your life. LOL
Seriously Gus, hope you feel better soon and can get that beauty painted, turned-upright and back on the trailer. Bill

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

i think when people use to say "sink your teeth into your work", they didn't mean it literally!!!!!

looking good

Thanks dj, I am gonna have the doc look for traces of resin and cloth in the stuff he digs outa me...:rolleyes:

Brutha Gus,

Primed hull looks great dood!

Thank you Brutha Bear, really looking forward to Gittin-R-Dun!:D

I resemble that remark! I thought my design feature of the mini-tunnel in the pad would create some excitement in your life. LOL
Seriously Gus, hope you feel better soon and can get that beauty painted, turned-upright and back on the trailer. Bill

Oh, so you came up with this radical design...well let me tell you, it definitely flies on the water...:eek:...most assuredly off-world in nature...

Thanks, for droppin by Willy:)

Stay tuned for an update...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

And now for the BIG reveal...well, of the test panel, anyhow...:redface:...

Did a really quick wet sand with soapy water, 180 grit, then 280 grit...boy oh boy, that primer sure is nice to work with...then washed it all down with soap and water, let dry, wiped with Acetone...And...

Vwaa-laa!

Now I know that in the pics, it prolly looks unbelievably, incredibly awesome...BUT, pics at this distance can be deceiving...

There is quite a bit of streaking and splotchiness, as I anticipated, due to the fact that it is a metallic paint and it is rolled out...but the more I stare at it, the more it tends to grow on me and makes me think I might be able to work with it...

I am trying to convince myself that it is going to be OK, since the transom is only going to have about 30% visible above water, once I hang the Merc on it...the bottom of the hull is for the fish and I don't think they will mind too much,... what will be visible from the sides at more than 10 feet and full throttle will be a blur...

Still have a couple tricks up my sleeve...

We will see what develops...

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome...both good and bad...

I'll see y'all after I get some dentistry done...Happy Friday everyone...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

So what were your application techniques? You gotta give us the details man. It's all about the details!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

So what were your application techniques? You gotta give us the details man. It's all about the details!!!!

I'm not sure, but for a noob, this guy seems awfully pushy:facepalm: Welcome...:)

Is the splotchiness a general overall look, at the lap marks between full length paint strokes, or a function of the start/stop of rolling each of the full length paint strokes?

I just read that Q again, and it only kind of sounds like I'm asking the question I intended....

From WV it looks all glittery & pretty;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Firth of all, fthanfths for fthe good fthoughfths, fthe nofocaine if ftill wearfing off...fthe fprotheedfure wenthf freally fwell...fshlould be back fto fnormal fsloon...
10_7_6.gif
...fslorry fabouth fthe fdrool...
10_3_2.gif

I'm not sure, but for a noob, this guy seems awfully pushy Welcome...

Is the splotchiness a general overall look, at the lap marks between full length paint strokes, or a function of the start/stop of rolling each of the full length paint strokes?

I just read that Q again, and it only kind of sounds like I'm asking the question I intended....

From WV it looks all glittery & pretty;)

First off, a HUGE and Hearty, Welcome back...

As far as details, you know what they say about the devil and those details...

Basically, I rolled on about 5-6 coats of the epoxy primer...it was so hot that it almost dried on contact, not really, but every lap mark, start and stop, and roller texture is clearly visible...

So, as a test, I wet sanded just the transom using a chunk of white extruded polystyrene [plain 'ol styrofoam], cut into a sanding block, and first wrapped some 180 grit on it and mixed up some soapy water for lubrication...I kept the hose handy for continual rinsing, as my goal was to leave a smooth surface without breaking through the primer...so far so good...as I got closer to the smooth finish, I switched to 280 grit, and got it to where I wanted, smooth as a baby's bottom:D...Washed down with soap and lots of water, let dry, then wiped down with Acetone just prior to rolling on the topcoat...

I used a typical 4" foam roller and mixed up just a small amount of color with the required thinner and activator...I then applied a couple of coats and it was looking like this...

You can just barely make out the vertical and horizontal roller marks...most definitely looks ten times worse in person...

I tried every which way to gently smooth out the marks, using light, heavy and medium pressure on the roller, along with different directions...

DSCF2022.jpg

After about 5-6 coats...it came out looking like the pics you already saw...

You can still see, in person, some streaking and splotchiness, but overall, I think I may just be able to live with it...

I have a couple of other things I want to try, before I decide to go ahead with the rest, but I have to wait approximately 72 hours for the paint to cure enough for me to try a cut and buff...if that results in a good look, so be it...

My other idea is to actually give it a textured look by using one of several application methods...one being using a sea sponge, the other using some plastic wrap...

The sea sponge should give it an overall mottled effect, the plastic wrap should give it a sort of marble-ized look...

I will report on my findings as they become reality...

Happy Friday!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

R U using the Ultra Fine Cabinet rollers. If not try them. Also did you go back over it after a couple of minutes of "Dry" time with a DRY roller to try and flatten the previous roller lines?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

R U using the Ultra Fine Cabinet rollers. If not try them. Also did you go back over it after a couple of minutes of "Dry" time with a DRY roller to try and flatten the previous roller lines?

No, and No...but excellent suggestions...I will pick some up later today and do some experimenting...Thanks!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Skies have gone from really nice to really nasty...so, time for a Home Depot run...get in, get stuff, get out...

These are the foam rollers I have been using...I guess in retrospect these are the ones WoG is talking about...

DSCF2036.jpg

I found these, but I have my doubts...if nothing else, they may provide a different type of texture...

DSCF2037.jpg

At least in this HD, they don't have anything remotely related to Ultra Fine Cabinet grade rollers...

I also have this Black foam roller, I found at Ace hardware...

Untitled.png

Plus some other goodies for the next attempt at making this metallic paint look acceptable...:rolleyes:

DSCF2033.jpg

And, oh yeah...I am really leaning toward a nice Hunter Green accent...

DSCF2035.jpg

More results as the weather permits...

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thats the one's i used...but also came back after rolling (or had a friend follow right behind me) and "tipped" it off with a dry, good quality, 4" wide paint brush. hold it at a 45 degree angle and just barely (very barely) drag the tip across the paint vertically. this helps knock the the paint lines and gets rid of the bubbles

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

These are what I get from My Home depot. Says helps prevent bubbles and orange peel.

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Brus...N-aqpyZ5yc1v/R-100128417/h_d2/ProductDisplay?
catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Yeah, I saw those in the HD web page, but I don't need fifty bucks worth of them to get free shipping, otherwise I'll pay almost 20 bucks for five of them...they don't carry those in the store...and looking at the descriptions on both packages, they are very similar..."high density, smooth surfaces, cabinet doors"...oh well, on to plan B...:redface:

thats the one's i used...but also came back after rolling (or had a friend follow right behind me) and "tipped" it off with a dry, good quality, 4" wide paint brush. hold it at a 45 degree angle and just barely (very barely) drag the tip across the paint vertically. this helps knock the the paint lines and gets rid of the bubbles

Thanks dj, but if this was just a simple solid color that would not be a problem...the issue is that this is a metallic type paint and it is meant to be sprayed...it is the only way to avoid getting any kind of texture when applying it...I tried 'tipping' during one of the coats that I applied and it basically created a wood-grain effect...no matter how light the stroke or the quality of the brush...I have several "Purdy" brushes and many artists brushes with bristles so soft you can hardly feel them on your skin...and before I tried it on the boat, I had made a few attempts on a test panel with the same results...unfortunately it is the nature of the metallic paint...:(

But, like I said before...I have alternative ideas and plans...so stay tuned...:D...

OK, the Sun is peeking out and I feel another test coming on...:)...

Will report with results...over and out...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

The last pic on # 943 looks like a sheet of granite ! You may have a few lap/ roller marks but git the rest of the bottom looking like that and I think you got a winner !

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The last pic on # 943 looks like a sheet of granite ! You may have a few lap/ roller marks but git the rest of the bottom looking like that and I think you got a winner !

Stand by for the update...

Did you say "Granite"...

Test #2...roll w/foam roller, then dabble with sea sponge...

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2044.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

DSCF2047.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

Similar to a "Hammerite" look on heavy duty industrial machinery...

Might be a winner...However,... my OCD, ADD, ARN, etc., etc...has the best of me right now...I like this, but I am going to conduct a couple more tests to see what I come up with...

At least I should end up with a respectable finish and most of all get to use this awesome Imron paint!

Night is falling and I don't have time tonight, but if the weather holds out, I have a couple more small panels that are prepped and ready for the next couple of ideas...

Happy Saturday, everyone...

Trooper82

Commander

I think you have a winner there myself.....but good luck witht he weather holding out for some testing if you wish...

Decker83

Commander

I think the textured look is alot better. But it may cause some drag issues in the water. If you have ever taken a boat out with just a dull hull and then waxed and polished it really well and ran it again you can tell a big differance in how it handles. Also it may be hard to wax and polish.
Just a thought.
It really does look good with the texture. Good luck this weekend.
Hope the tooth problem is going well.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey GT,

Thought I'd add my $.02 on the paint. Since you don't seem thrilled with it, I would worry that if you don't like it all that well now, you may like it even less later, when its too late. The flake is messin wit ya. Maybe with you foraging skills and a little time, you could find a solid color paint pretty cheap (or free), or trade the metallic to someone who can use it. Just a thought, because I see so many people struggling here on iboats just to get solid paint the way they want it. Can't imagine the difficulties of metallic. Also remember, if you ever have to patch it, too bad.

I have to agree with decker on the hull drag.

Sea ya...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Gus, I think you are making good strides on this. I like the way it looks, but I am sort of agreeing that the mottled look will be high on style, but may be a drag (no pun intended) on function (especially if you have it on the bottom).... I'd be wanting that boat's bottom as smooth as a baby's.... especially since the bassasin will be trolling a good bit for those large bucket mouths!!!

Keep pluggin and thanks for stoppin by my thread with a little pep talk.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gus,
Get a 5 pack of these @ Lowe's for less than $10 bucks.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
Trust me on this one, You absolutely do NOT want to have a textured finish on your boat!!!!:rolleyes:
You also might consider one of these options. You could possibly rent a compressor and HVLP gun from a Rental place and shoot her yourself. OR you could run an ad on Craigslist for a Young Local Painter looking to make some side bucks to come over and shoot her for you one Saturday morning or evening, OR contact a High School or College and see if they have a Student that has skills that you could utilize as a project or BRIBE me to come down and do it for you.:eek::p:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Between the slick and the texture I think I like the slick better .. But that's just me . And sometimes my elevator git's stuck between floors !:facepalm: Funny I'm trying to get rid of texture and your trying to put it on .. You'll get it figured out and I'm sure it will look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.