Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Great idea on the foam blocks. I've found a use for all my scraps from making templates.

In your picture, it looks like the paper is glued to the foam. Is that so, or just the way it is sitting? If you glued it, what glue did you use. All the glues I've tried on the foam dissolve the foam.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Looks like you have things going your way. I know about the sanding. I bought a box of the 3"x17" long board paper. I will go about 3 feet down the hull and change the paper. Only way I could make any progress. When I get down to the gel coat sanding I will try the styrofoam blocks. Thats a great ideal.
Hope your tooth problem has cleared up. The new ideal on the paint looks great.

Thanks Decker,

Lately, I do seem to be blessed with good fortune and after my oral surgery, good health...Thank God!

Unfortunately several of our glassin Bruthas do not seem to be "fairing" to well...to them I say, may all your demons be exorcised!

Even if they involve the dump...:facepalm:

The styrofoam blocks work good and you can use some sandpaper to shape them any way you want, if you want a really flat face, just use the flat face of another block of styrofoam and rub them together...they will "sand" each other flat...

Your fairing is really shaping up nice...:)

The primer & sanding look great! Keep up the good work...

Thank you, Sir!

Great idea on the foam blocks. I've found a use for all my scraps from making templates.

In your picture, it looks like the paper is glued to the foam. Is that so, or just the way it is sitting? If you glued it, what glue did you use. All the glues I've tried on the foam dissolve the foam.

Sea ya...

No glue, I just cut it so that I can wrap it around far enough to hold it...it does tend to slip, but you just learn to grip it a little harder...:rolleyes:...BTW, if you did want to glue it on, the only stuff I know of that works...Marginally...is 3M Spray 77...it works, but you have to spray it on super lightly to the foam to keep from eating it up, and build up a couple two or three layers...it works like a contact cement, so you have to spray the backside of the sandpaper, also...

Have a good week, y'all...:D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i used alot of the rectangualr shaped sponges that already had a "sandpaper" like surface on them...my local HD carried them in multiple grits....was really nice wet sanding with them because i just dunked them in buckets of water

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I buy all the old Chalk board erasers I find at Garage Sales and Flea Markets. The make nice Sand Paper Backers Wet or Dry.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

OK, its Friday night and I haven't done a darn thing to this boat all week...been fertilizing the money tree all week long with 12 hour days...

It is officially Oh-beer-30 and and half past a stogie...

Just want to let everyone know...that if the weather holds out...:rolleyes:...a lot of sanding will take place in the anticipated application of some color...

Hopefully you all have an extremely productive weekend, or if you are already "splashed"...may you enjoy a massive amount of hours having fun while we all toil away...;)

Happy Friday to All!

Trooper82

Commander

No rain...no rain.....no rain....

Sending dry signals your way Gus!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood, it's monsoon season up here in the Mitt! It's been raining HARD, NONSTOP, for like a month! Well, more like 48 hours or so;)

You should be all set:)

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, its Friday night and I haven't done a darn thing to this boat all week...been fertilizing the money tree all week long with 12 hour days...

It is officially Oh-beer-30 and and half past a stogie...

Just want to let everyone know...that if the weather holds out...:rolleyes:...a lot of sanding will take place in the anticipated application of some color...

Hopefully you all have an extremely productive weekend, or if you are already "splashed"...may you enjoy a massive amount of hours having fun while we all toil away...;)

Happy Friday to All!

"You have been a bit quiet this week" he (me) says, as he puffs on his own stogie while typing this post. As for the weather, no dancing this time.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Saturday Update...

Slept in, got up, Sun shining, Hotter than h-e-double toothpicks...got the dry 100 grit sanding done, fairly quickly, couple of hours...noon-ish, lunch...15 minute break...try and get some wet sanding done...not too bad, skies got cloudy...kinda cool...only about 94?...then I got to do some real wet sanding, cause the skies opened up and kept everything nice and cool and wet...:facepalm:...

Anyhooooo, 3-1/2 hours later, got a good 95-99% of all the necessary sanding done...yay.

If and when it stops pouring, I have to fill a few minor spots with some Marine-Tex, let dry, sand and I'll be ready for the first application of color overall...yay.

Pics of proof as soon as it stops dripping moisture from the sky...

In the meantime, gonna celebrate my accomplishments with a couple of frosties, a few stogie puffs and a nap...quite possibly in that exact order...:rolleyes:

Happy Saturday, Iboaters...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Pics to prove actual sanding performed as previously stated...and Yes, it looks shiny because it is wet from the recently let up rain...if it doesn't dry up before nightfall, I will have to wait till morning to apply the Marine-Tex...

DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2092.jpg

DSCF2089.jpg

I suppose I am going to end up with laminar water flow on the bottom, as opposed to a bubble layer...:rolleyes:...heck this thing did somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 miles an hour in a canal...3-4 MPH +/- is not gonna make it seem that much faster...or slower...still hauling the mail...

And this is a street, not a canal...:facepalm:

DSCF2091.jpg

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...

Trooper82

Commander

Good progress Gus...nature made wet sanding...and cool to boot...can't beat that!

Looking real good....bet you are getting anxious for the color...

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wet sanding in the rain. I see what I have to look forward to.

Did you wear a rain suit or just enjoy getting cooled off?

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Good progress Gus...nature made wet sanding...and cool to boot...can't beat that!

Looking real good....bet you are getting anxious for the color...

You bet, it actually went quicker than I originally thought... just a couple more steps to go, and COLOR time...:D

Wet sanding in the rain. I see what I have to look forward to.

Did you wear a rain suit or just enjoy getting cooled off?

Sea ya...

It was wet and cool, actually quite refreshing...you might say... so NAH!...no stinkin rain suit for me...I have never been one to shy away from the rain...:facepalm:...

jbcurt00

Staff member

The wet sanded gray primer looks great! Laminar flow.... had to look it up:facepalm:

Great progress, hope it stays cool & dries off enough for some Marine-Tex work!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Laminar flow ? AhhhhhhI'M gunna assume that,s just a cool paint term. To lazy to look it up..
Nice wet wet sanding GT !

jbcurt00

Staff member

Smooth flowing water:facepalm: As opposed to the dimple golf ball discussion @ benefits of the 'air bubbles' effect.........

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Laminar flow. I did look it up. And man, you gotta watch this short video of a laminar flow experiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p08_KlTKP50

I must have no laminar flow when mixing my resin. Otherwise, when I stop half way through my 30 second stir and go back the other way, I should end up with resin and MEKP UNMIXED!

Sea ya

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Seeing it all sanded and wet shining that gloss like that makes me really want to see some color on it.

Looking great GT!

Decker83

Commander

Man that primer sure does shine. Good to see how much you did in the rain.
Looking forward to seeing the color. Hope the rain stays away.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

The primer looks good enough to use it without color :)

By the way, send some of that rain this way, we havn't had any real rain for over a month and a half. The crops are pretty much all dead (along with my lawn) I hope the weather holds off long enough you can get the color down.

Status
Not open for further replies.