Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

I knew you weren't fibbin'....but the proof is in the pics...It does look like you been busy...

I hope to be caught up with you someday...

I hear there are some lunker bass over your way...better get that glitter covered up, don't want a record bass eatin' the bass assassin...with you in it :)

rickryder

Commander

Maybe you need to put some giant treble hooks on it and paint some big eyes on the sides of the hull.....Worlds biggest surface plug :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't think my zebco is rated for the required line test/weight. :) What boat you planning to troll that plug behind? Aircraft Carrier? ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Glad to see your back in action ! BTW I would love to have a neighbor like yours !:cool:

chriscraft254

Commander

The glitter is so it looks good on the trailer silly!!! everyone knows that! lol :) Think you should paint the trailer tomatch, atleast a pinstrip or something to carry the boats pait scheeme onto the trailer. ;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I knew you weren't fibbin'....but the proof is in the pics...It does look like you been busy...

I hope to be caught up with you someday...

I hear there are some lunker bass over your way...better get that glitter covered up, don't want a record bass eatin' the bass assassin...with you in it

In reality you are prolly even with me...you have most of your stringer work done, I still have to PB, CSM and 1708 most of mine in, still...then there's the newly redesigned cap to figure out...nah, if I was a bettin man, I'd say you'll be getting it wet at least a day or two ahead of me...:rolleyes:

And, I hope someone is filming that giant bass swallowing the 'Bassassin'...Now that would be a huge 'YouTube' hit...

Maybe you need to put some giant treble hooks on it and paint some big eyes on the sides of the hull.....Worlds biggest surface plug :D

Now that right there has had me ROFLMAO for a solid 5 minutes! My ribs hurt!

I don't think my zebco is rated for the required line test/weight. :) What boat you planning to troll that plug behind? Aircraft Carrier? ;)

Ehhhhh, could be...LOL...I don't know maybe some 2000 pound test Flourocarbon, with a 600 Lb. sinker, a size 000/50000 treble hook...prolly use a Palomar Knot...?

Glad to see your back in action ! BTW I would love to have a neighbor like yours !:cool:

Very glad to be back, the withdrawals were becoming unbearable...

You can bet your bottom dollar that I feel like one lucky muchacho having a neighbor like that!

The glitter is so it looks good on the trailer silly!!! everyone knows that! lol Think you should paint the trailer tomatch, atleast a pinstrip or something to carry the boats pait scheeme onto the trailer. ;)

I'll tell ya what, if the trailer wasn't galvanized, I would seriously consider a matching paint scheme...hmmmm, who knows, maybe...

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang GT, it is looking great! your doing a great job on the bassassin! Believe it or not i kinda miss my glassing part on the boat! I need to get me something new to work on. A bigger boat. After I finish this one of coarse. Looks great though!!!!! Keep up the great work! Ill b watching. Im back home so ill b around.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Fiberglass Glitter Boats:rolleyes::facepalm::p

Mornin GT!:D

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey GT ..... Great to see you back.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

GT, I've seen you all over iboats threads today. but no posts here. It was beautiful here in South Florida today and I know you are a multi-tasker. But then, maybe you're out working on the boat right now.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hope everyone is having a productive Saturday...

The Sun is shining and the temps are hovering around a nice toasty, tolerable 93 degrees...in the shade, of course...

Main mission this weekend is to get as much of the fairing and repairing of the hull divits, dings, damages, gouges, goofs, scrapes and low spots, as possible...

So far I have gotten approximately one third of the aforementioned filled...I'll be letting those set up till tomorrow. Then I'll begin the sanding of the repairs...

I made myself a nice thick, creamy PB filler...

DSCF1890.jpg

Ground down and drilled little "anchor" holes all along some of the strakes...Also, any places that had just screw holes from previous whatever's...I drilled out with a "Uni-bit" [One of those tapered drill bits that progressively open up the hole to the next larger size] ...that way the filler would get down inside all the way...cleaned everything real good with acetone...

DSCF1881.jpg

Other places I just sanded down a dished area or made a bit of a cavity, so the goop would lock in good...

DSCF1887.jpg

Then I slathered a nice thick coating of the filler over all of the dished out, ground out areas...

DSCF1901.jpg

In this pic, you may notice a white ring where the bilge drain goes...some of you may remember, when I first drilled it out, I made it much larger than the bilge plug itself, so I could refill it with PB, then re-drill the opening to literally seal the plywood against any possible water intrusion...I then decided to take it one step further and make the opening slightly larger than the bilge plug so I could create a PVC insert for the plug to sit in nice and snug...I PB'd the PVC insert into the opening and now when I install the plug for the last time, it will get sealed into the PVC with 5200 and screws...BTW...for those of you wondering...it is a captured bilge drain plug that I had purchased from Bass Pro when I first got the boat, and really like the way it functions, so I decided to use the same one...Plus, everything is either plastic or resin with SS screws, so I have no corrosion worries...I hope...

Oh yeah, and the other hole you see there is going to be either for the Live well aerator intake or drain...one more to go...
DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF1894.jpg

Well, break time is over...gonna move my little shade thingy over the next area and get cranking...

More updates later...

Trooper82

Commander

I see you are busy bro'

Plenty of fluids...hit the air conditioning once in a while..

Looking Great!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey GT,

Glad someone is getting in boat time today. Busy day in the salon. No getting away.

What mix are you using to fair the hull?

Sea ya...

Decker83

Commander

GT your looking good. Same question ^^^^ what mix did you use?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

As far as the mix for the fill/fair, I started out with very small amounts to check and make sure it would work...Remember the little cup you get when its time for the pre-employment drug screening, my wife works in a laboratory, so she brought some home for me...well I mixed up about 40ml of resin with 3 heaping tablespoons of cabosil and some home made chopped/milled fibers {I have started to collect left over pieces of CSM and 1708 and have been cutting them up with scissors...] I have so far accumulated a couple pounds of my own chopped/milled fibers...I then take little clumps of those fibers and chop them up even finer with the scissors...I end up getting an approximate mix of between 1/32" to about 3/8" fibers...I used about 2 heaping tablespoons worth in the test batches...I mixed all the thickeners with the UN catalyzed resin first to make the paste...then I added about 20-22 drops of MEK-P, stirred really well and applied...after a couple of small batches like this, I confirmed that it was exactly what I was looking for and proceeded to make up a couple of 250ml batches, to which I added approximately 3 times the resin volume of cabosil and about a quarter cup of my fine fibers [I adjusted the thickness of the putty by adding either a little more resin or cabosil until I achieved the consistency I wanted] ...then I added 1.25%-1.5% of MEK-P and again mixed really well...even in this heat I had plenty of time to spread the filler...I used a couple of bondo spreaders cut to different sizes, to apply the filler...depending on how much area I needed to cover...

After the first small batches had "kicked"...I sanded them to see how well they adhered and I was very happy with the results...

After applying the subsequent larger batches to other areas I had prepped, I spent the rest of the afternoon sanding and prepping the majority of the areas that were left to fair/fill...

A couple of them I am actually going to add a layer or two of CSM and and maybe 1708, but so far the most of the repairs I have had to make are mostly cosmetic and not structural...some of the deeper gouges I will use the filler, then wet out some CSM over it and fair it out with another coat of filler if necessary...

I snapped a couple of pics of some of the areas that I have prepped, in anticipation of continuing the fairing process tomorrow...

DSCF1913.jpg

DSCF1917.jpg

DSCF1910.jpg

Any of the areas where you see the fiberglass looking white, where it is sort of delaminated due the to damage, I go back and grind away those areas with the Dremel tool with a carbide tip shaped either like a flat nosed drill bit or a diamond shaped bit, until there is no more white and I am down to good 'glass...after washing it down with acetone, the 'glass should pretty much turn clear with no whiteness, insuring that I will achieve a good bond...

And, here's a couple of spots I sanded after using some of the filler...

DSCF1906.jpg

DSCF1907.jpg

The final step before actual prep for paint will be to go back and bondo squeegee a thin skim coat to fill any surface pits left...

I am officially beat for the day, hope every one had a good one...I am gonna go get some Sicilian Pizza for dinner and toss back a couple of frosty ones to go with it...

Till Tomorrow...

Trooper82

Commander

Looking good GT!

Have a few frosty one's for me too...or maybe I will go get me a couple myself :)

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Het gt, quite a mix. I guess you're looking for a fairly hard mix. Sanding should not be much of an issue since mostly open areas and since you plan a fairing coat later. I thought your original picture was your fairing mix.

Sea ya...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Het gt, quite a mix. I guess you're looking for a fairly hard mix. Sanding should not be much of an issue since mostly open areas and since you plan a fairing coat later. I thought your original picture was your fairing mix.

Sea ya...

Actually it is the fairing mix...the only thing I hope to have to do after all the sanding is done, is apply a very thin pinhole filler made of some resin and and dash or two of cabosil...

Now, I am just waiting for 9AM to get here so I can start making dust and noise without being too overly offensive to my neighbors...:rolleyes:

It's not that 9AM is any kind of rule or whatever, just trying to be a little considerate...not too much, though...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.