I'm not a religious man, but......

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I'm not a religious man, but......

Can someone tell me if it's ok to use synthetic oil in my boat engine? Can I use a multiweight oil? Does it have to be for marine use or is auto oil ok? What brand would you suggest?<br /><br /><br />Sorry, no disrespect meant for this religious discussion, just thought a brief levity break might be worthwhile.<br /><br />Carry on. (Seriously, no offense towards the topic intended).

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wish I could be more religious, I was an altar boy, and forced into parochial schools and church functions at an early age. I never really got it though. Still in my youth, I formed doubts, and an opinion, that the bible must have been written by wise men. Not religious men, but intelectuals that saw where society was heading. And they realized that society would need rules to keep people from acting like, well, like they're acting today. And the doom and gloom predictions about the middle east-who knew back then that the US govt. would be the "Great Satan" that causes the end.

spratt

Lieutenant

The oil question needs to be answered by someone who knows everything about ALL oils, so that a comparison can be made to verify if the oil chosen will actually provide the lubrication that is advertised. However, remember that all oils are man made and therefore you cannot trust any oil manufacturer to provide an oil that will really do the job...thus the thing to do is to just make your own oil, and believe that it is the right one, and if anyone else even remotely TRIES to tell you that your oil is not the right one to use, then you can tell them to quit trying to force their opinion about your oil down your craw. Now, the problem is, is that even among the oil makers themselves, the only thing they want is your money, so if they have to tell you what you want to hear to get it, they will, and unless you actually go out and take the time to study how each oil is made, where the original product was retrieved from, since it may not be pure, and then talk to every manufacturer to see just what it is that they promise to be the values of their oil...now, when you complete all that, you will have tons of questions and doubts still about which is the right one to use, so then you need to find someone who has had experience with EVERY oil and draw from their experience, which SHOULD tell you which oil is the REAL oil, in compariosn to all the others with all their promises, and in spite of the fact that you have a manual that tells you all about the oil that was created to be better than any other oil that can ever be made, you feel that the book was written by a man so it couldn't possibly be right...after all, YOU know more than any oil maker!!! and now you have got to come up with a way to judge WHICH manufacturer is actually telling you the truth, and then shouldn't you consider all the rest to be liars?? After all, there HAS to be ONE oil that is the REAL oil!!! You know that there is a higher oil somewhere, but you cannot believe that oil is simply what someone has told you, and it has to be impossible to trust that book that was written about the right oil, so you decide that your own oil you made up is the only one that can be right. Therefore you just use it and tell everyone that it doesn't really matter what oil you use, just choose the one that makes you feel good, and go with it...after all, your engine that you are so proud of really doesn't care what oil you use, because it loves all oil, and can tolerate ANY oil in it...<br /><br /><br />UNTIL...one day, the engine becomes deathly ill, and you find that the oil you used is not what you thought it was...and then it is too late, because the engine cannot be revived, and you have to toss it into the junk yard for scrap.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Quotting Spratt:<br />"all one has to do is to READ God's Word...even in there He says that if a man desires understanding, to pray, and He will provide it. So, how I do it, is to read and pray that God will help me to understand what I am reading."<br /><br />I'll agree with you on that as I have read that also in chapter 1 of James, vs 5 and 6:<br /><br />5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.<br /><br />6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.<br /><br />Surely there are facts in religion like mikeandronda says but it can be difficult to tell sometimes what the facts are. When the Bible was originally written by the hand of the prophets it was pure. Since then things have been taken out, added, and modified. Like Spratt says, "there are MANY scriptures that back up all others". In most cases this is true. Still it can be difficult.<br /><br />In response to Luna Sea, I believe that one can feel a good spirit or the Spirit of God when reading the Bible. Therefore, I believe it to be the word of God...realizing of course that there are some imperfections in it because of translations of the years and such.

spratt

Lieutenant

bayman, I know that many people think that the KJV is too hard to read and understand and have made many newer versions...however, I stick colely to it, but I do have access to a lot of other versions, about 30, that I can compare to...to me, it seems that many of the newer versions dilute the power and authority provided by the KJV...in one place it says, that Saul said, LORD, who art thou??? And a newer version has changed it to SIR, who are you?...there is a lot of difference in LORD and SIR!!! The history of the conversion to english makes me believe that it is the closest translation one can get to the original Hebrew and Greek...when the King commanded the scriptures to be translated, he assigned a HUGE team of scholars to make sure that all were in agreement over what was being translated and the meaning of the words were as close to original as could be...sure, definitions to words change over teh years, but teh original oldest available to english speaking and reading folks is what I want!!!

bayman

I agree with you about the KJV Spratt, from what I can see it is the best English translation available. It may be more difficult to read than other versions but I think accuracy is important.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

However, remember that all oils are man made and therefore you cannot trust any oil manufacturer to provide an oil that will really do the job...thus the thing to do is to just make your own oil, and believe that it is the right one, and if anyone else even remotely TRIES to tell you that your oil is not the right one to use, then you can tell them to quit trying to force their opinion about your oil down your craw.
Actually, for those who believe, oil is made by God. Man simply refines oil into more useable products that can turn a fast buck. My 2¢

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> There is no fact in religion. Only beliefs.
For that matter, how may "facts" are there, period? Nobody knew for sure that the earth was round until a man got into a space capsule and went far enough away to look back and see. Come to think of it, I've never actually seen the shape of the Earth; I've been told it's round by people whom I find credible.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by bayman:<br /> I agree with you about the KJV Spratt, from what I can see it is the best English translation available. It may be more difficult to read than other versions but I think accuracy is important.
Here's a shocker: King James commissioned his version of the Bible because the available versions at the time were "Papist;" that is, the work of the Catholic church. The Church of England (Anglican) split from the Catholics because they didn't want to answer to the Pope. Maybe they wanted to get divorced or something, I don't know. Anyway, the drafters of the KJV had to be sensitive (today we would use the term "politically correct") to the views of the king if they wanted to keep their heads on their shoulders. Is any of this relevant? Maybe, maybe not. Or I could be wrong; I didn't witness it, just heard it from people whom I found to be credible. :) <br /><br />BTW, the verses I memorized growing up as a Baptist were KJV, now as a Methodist we read from the Revised Standard Version. Haven't yet found any discepancies that so much as raised an eyebrow. but then I should probably read more carefully. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> there is a lot of difference in LORD and SIR!!!
not so sure, really. Remember in England the word "Lord" referred (still refers?) to any titled nobleman, like princes, dukes, barons, whatever (is there a Brit in the house?)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Please do not turn this topic into something that it is not meant to be,if you want to know about oils go to the oil related forum.I have never belonged to any religion nor cult,and having never set foot to the inside of a church,mosque or temple in my entire life, and as one who was never baptized nor inducted in any way to be part of any credo, the intensity of this conversion and those that were posted on this subject in the past leaves me somewhat bewildered,confused and perplexed.<br />The questions which i asked were meant for my comprehension of what the different religions have in common and why and how peoples aquire such extreme views that places them so far apart.

Admin5

I have watched this post with great interest. I am grateful to see how many members of our boards have a spiritual side yet I also care for and respect those that choose not to as well. It has been my observation with those people who are close to me who try to be spiritual, meaning live what Jesus preached, have had better and more peace in their lives as a result.<br /><br />I am a Mormon, LDS member, or in other words a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am proud of it. I served a two <br />year mission in Brazil preaching of Christ and loved every minute. I do not want to get into debates over religion here in our Forums but I will let everyone know that some of what has been said in this thread about my faith is completely incorrect. I will not debate religion here so don't try to tempt me, but I will post for clarification purposes to make sure that readers know when something is said about my religion that is inaccurate..<br /><br />First and foremost Lubedude, you have never said a more incorrect statement in your life when you said, Quote:<br /> “As to the Laterday Saints being "Christians", NOT!!! They do not beleive Jesus to be God, and thats quite a problem.”.<br /><br /> Mormons strongly believe that Jesus Christ is the literal son of God and that He is our Redeemer and Savior. He was NOT just a prophet! He was so much more. We (and I) believe that salvation can only come by and through Him. In other words, I (we) believe that Jesus literally paid for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane, died on the cross for us, was the first to resurrect from the dead, and through Him and only Him, we can gain forgiveness of our personal sins, and through Him and only Him, we will some day get the free gift of the resurrection (from the Bible…”As in Adam all die, even so in Jesus Christ shall all be made alive again.”). We even have Christ’s name on our church's name. From what I have said about our beliefs and our church, please tell me how we are not Christians! We often see that people who make incorrect statements about the LDS Church have some bad sources of information. On this topic if you want to hear what Mormons really believe, it would be smart to look at what LDS people say about Christ.<br /><br />spratt, please go to 1 Corinthians 15:29 in your Bible and you will see a reference to baptism for the dead as a practice. If you look up this lesser-known scripture in a Catholic New Testament Dictionary you’ll read where they say that it seemed the early church, after the death of Christ, was doing baptisms for the dead. As for Lucifer being our brother, we believe that all of us, are brothers and sisters, regardless of whether we are very good or very bad. We also believe that Jesus is our older brother. And certainly, we believe that we are all children of our Heavenly Father…God.<br /><br />Go to a typical preacher or priest and ask him if the Mormons are a cult and they will probably say “yes”. Unfortunately, the word cult has been an oft-used back-handed slap that people have used in referring to churches other than their own for a long time. In fact and by definition, the LDS Church does not fit the definition of a cult as well as the Baptists or Methodists or JWs, to mention only a few. We find that people who prayerfully read the King James, or a similarly well-translated Bible and then study what the Mormons really say they believe (not what others say we believe), come to very different conclusions about the LDS Church and our Christ-centered teachings than what those who like to badmouth us say. Here is a web page talking about our beliefs in Christ. I hope that this clears up this point, especially regarding Jesus Christ as our Savior and Redeemer, and so much more.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, Elmer. Islam & Judaism have common roots, and their Holy Books, Quran and Talmud, share a number of common threads. The Jewish Talmud is contained (in its entirety, I believe) in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. Christians believe that Jesus is Jewish Messiah as prophesied in the Old Testament, whereas Jews are still looking for the Messiah. The various denominations of Christianity, usually split broadly into two groups known as "Catholic" and "Protestant" share the common belief in Jesus. Not sure where Greek Orthodox fits into the mix. There are others I'm sure of which I am painfully ignorant. Some disagree, but many (myself included) are of the opinion that Muslims, Jews, Catholics and Protestants all worship the same God. I suppose you could say that's true of anyone who believes in a single, all-powerful, omnipotent deity.<br /><br />Somebody jump in if I'm not describing it very well.<br /><br />Sorry I can't speak to other religions (Buddists, Rastafarians, Zoroastrianism, Hindus, etc.) Good luck, and don't give up. An affiliation with the right church can really enhance your life in practical ways as well as spiritual. You get a sort of built-in support system; for instance when the wife had surgery we had people cooking & bringing dinner over every day. We have dozens of really good, non-judgemental, trustworthy friends we can count on, & who count on us in return. And if you get behind on your giving, they don't send any nastigrams or call or anything!

bayman

Thank you for pointing that out wajajaja. I had met one Jew before who professed a belief in Christ. It's interesting that there is a group out there.<br /><br />I was just thinking that there are many prophecies in the Bible that have come to pass - some of them in our day, right before our eyes. Surely these things should be a witness to those who aren't sure about religion. These prophecies by prophets of God can help to give us all faith.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by bayman:<br /> Thank you for pointing that out wajajaja. I had met one Jew before who professed a belief in Christ. It's interesting that there is a group out there.
Bayman, there is a family of Jews in our church that definitely believe in Christ, though his natural brothers and father and sister do not. They are not in the Jewish religion either, so I guess they are really nothing as far as living for God, but Andy and his family are in love with Jesus and are all filled with the Holy Ghost!!! Just like the Bible says that we all can be...<br /><br />Mod, there is not a chance that I am going to argue online here about anything you say, or should I say I won't disagree, because I do not like to argue, it only gets one heated up for no reason. I have witnessed to a lot of missionaries who come to my door, and though I fully respect their mission and their dedication, I find some very sticky points that I have to disagree with. That being said, I have met very few Mormons who do not live what they preach. And unfortunately in every religion or church, many or most are very good at their faith, but there are always many or some who are just along for the ride and do not live what they preach.<br /><br />Too often we run across people who just cannot defend their faith at all, because they only believe what a man has told them. I will not accept that, and HAVE to get into it with both feet, so to speak, and make sure that what I believe is scriptural.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

wajajaja,that's a wonderful example of two religions coming together.<br />Are the jews for christ converts to christianity?

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a tolerant member of the United Church of Christ. I try but can't get much of anything of value out of the Old Testament. The teachings of Christ are meaningful to me but I can't comprehend those who profess to be Christians but ignore Christ's teachings. I don't see how any good Christian can support the killing of innocent people in Iraq and ignore the treachery in Darfur.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I typically shy away from threads revoving around Politics and Reigion as they almost always go south quickly, but this has to be one of the most mature adult discussions on the topic I have seen in a long time. My applause to teh folks involved. I will interject just a couple related thoughts. If anyone feels this post is improper or offensive let me know and I will wipe it, or Admin5, feel free to poof it if you need.<br /><br />
I have met very few Mormons who do not live what they preach
I whole-heartedly agree with this as one of my lifelong best friends is a Mormon. There is much mis-understanding of the Mormon faith. I do not quite understand it, so I'm not qualified to debate it, nor would I if I could. While I am not a Mormon and do not subcribe to a number of the beliefs therin that I do understand, I do highly respect the focus on family that I have seen stressed and the dedication that most members have. <br /><br />
Too often we run across people who just cannot defend their faith at all, because they only believe what a man has told them. I will not accept that, and HAVE to get into it with both feet, so to speak, and make sure that what I believe is scriptural.
Amen to that. I can tell you why I believe what believe. I can even tell you why I attend the Church I attend, but I would much rather tell you the former as that is my Testimony.<br /><br />I was raised in a UMC and joined an SBC church as a teen when I was saved. Much as I said above, there are some things in the SBC doctrine I don't quite agree with and there have been a couple instances where I really disagree with the actions of the SBC. Likewise there are things I don't agree with in pretty much all denominations, but that doesn't mean their beliefs are less than mine if they can explain them and back them up with scripture. Two people can read the same scripture and find different valid points that may not necessarily be that different if we hold off the yelling match long to figure out and some of the disagreements are about immaterial things. <br /><br />I did not join the two SBC churches I have been a member of strictly because they were Southern Baptist. I joied them because I felt led that this was the body of believers I was supposed to be with at that time. <br /><br />I feel that there is animosity between some mainstream denominations that shouldn't be there. There is too much time/energy wasted quibbling over small interpretations while we drive people away when they see the disagreements. If we cooperated more and agreed that there are some basics we agree on, such as the need for Salvation, then let God lead the saved where He wants them to serve, we could accomplish so much more.<br /><br />If we all thought exactly the same, many of us wouldn't be necessary.<br /><br /><br />.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks to all those who answered my questions,and also for the vast amount of info which was posted.<br />I picked up a number of books on a few of the major religions from the library in my neighbourhood,so i'll be busy for a while,once again thanks ya'll.