I'm not a religious man, but......

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I'm not a religious man, but......

Posted by spudbartlett:"but I believe terrible things happen because people choose to harm others because of their free agency, which we believe in strongly."<br /><br />could you elaborate a little more, i'm not quite sure that i understand fully.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

God gives us all free will in which we choose to follow him or not......So we all also have free will to do good or evil. I believe thats what Spudbartlett was saying. If God made us love him or scared us into loving him it would be a false love one you could compare to spiritaul r*pe ( sorry if I offended with that) He wants us to choose to love him. To choose to make the right choices. God is the creator of everything, he allready owns, if you will, everything. There is only one thing he choose notto own out right and thats your heart. Its the only thing we can gift to the Lord. He will never force people to worship him. Except at the end every being will bow before him in the end......... :)

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by butch290:<br /> Spratt, the verse you are looking for my be 1 cor.7:14 I do not know what all that verse means, but I believe it. Isa. 40:11 He shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom. Matt. 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.<br /><br /> Hope this helps, peace<br /><br /> butch
Thanks, Butch, that is one of them, but there is a nother, and for the life of me I don't know why it escapes me, but i will dig it out and post it...thanks for helping!!!<br /><br />Ain't God GREAT??? And it sure is a good life living for the Lord!!!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />
Originally posted by spratt:<br /> there is a lot of difference in LORD and SIR!!!
not so sure, really. Remember in England the word "Lord" referred (still refers?) to any titled nobleman, like princes, dukes, barons, whatever (is there a Brit in the house?)
If you remember, the words were translated from Hebrew / Greek into English. Thus the title "Lord" was translated from the NT Greek into English, taking the meaning along with it...LORD was translated from the same Greek word which was used in many other places that signified the same Title of Lord which was used to signify what Jesus was referred to. So the English title of LORD was not the same as teh biblical title of LORD...totally different meaning:) The biblical title of LORD is DEFINITELY NOT the same, or anywhere the same, as the British title of Lord...

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

My understanding is that the old testament was originally written in Hebrew,and the new testament was written in Greek, is that right?

spratt

Lieutenant

Elmer, I am going to hdefer that to one more in the know, but I do believe you are correct...

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm certainly no expert on this but I'll just let you know what I have found on this subject...<br /><br />Hebrew, from what I have read, came about very early in Old Testament times - around the period of Noah. Any scriptures prior to that time are likely to have been written in another language. As there were many different prophets, some may have written in other languages.<br /><br />Overall, it seems that most scholars agree that the New Testament or at least most of it was originally written in Greek. There have been many other documents found from the New Testament times and it is difficult tell which documents were the original. Examples of documents found include the many Dead Sea Scrolls which were written around New Testament times. The Dead Sea Scrolls are not the same as the New Testament but there are pieces of the Old, New Testament and the Apocrypha within them. Of the 50 texts which were identified among the Dead Sea Scrolls, 33 were written in Hebrew and 17 were written in Aramaic. Let me quote some from this book "The Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered". Page 6: More sacred writings were more typically inscribed in Hebrew, the holy language of the Books of Moses. Writers of apocalyptic visions also often preferred Aramaic, probably because of a tradition that aramaic was the language of the Angles."<br /><br />Now of course many people of this day knew Greek and this was the language usually used by Paul as well. This is common knowledge but also we can note that the sign which Pilate put on Jesus' cross was written in Greek, Hebrew, and Latin. (John 19:20)<br /><br />It makes sense that much of the documents written in that day were written in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, and Latin. Which of these was the original langauge for each document - it seems that is difficult to tell in all cases. Scholars tend to agree though that documents written in Greek tend to be some of the most accurate because this was either an original document or one of the first translations done. And Greek translations could have been done by some of the original writers since many of them knew several languages.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

have to take JB's back here... what some of you<br />DON'T know about the various religions of the<br />world is a LOT!<br />might I suggest you find out what they are about<br />before you cast judement? <br /><br />and lubedude, your comment about catholics is<br />absoultely pathetic! who is filling your mind<br />with all of this dribble???<br /><br />ignorance is bliss I guess.

JasonB

Lieutenant

My understanding is that the old testament was originally written in Hebrew,and the new testament was written in Greek, is that right?
EF, that is correct, there may be some exceptions, but I think that is pretty much accurate.<br /><br />Little did Alexander know taht as he tried to conquer the world and make sure everyone could read and have roads to travel on, he was unknowingly building an infrastructure to spread the Gospel.