I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
It's bad enough when people respond to a job listing for which they have not the slightest qualification.<br /><br />But I called a lady for an interview, her outgoing voice mail on her cell ends with "Have a blessed day!" The words "In God we trust!" are handwritten on the envelope; I didn't know if they were added by somebody here in the building, but now I guess she wrote it on there.<br /><br />If I see a car with one of those Christian fish symbols, never fails the driver will do something crazy then make rude gestures or shout obscenities. Business people who include religious symbols or phrases in their logo, letterhead or business cards often turn out to be unprincipled or unreliable.<br /><br />I'm not talking about a tasteful little cross or star of David on a necklace, or even a Sikh wearing a turban.<br /><br />I'll do my best to keep her religious views from influencing my hiring decision, just wish there was a nice way to say, "that's not appropriate here."<br /><br />I think trying to use your religion to promote yourself or your business falls under the category of "using God's name in vain."

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

I too am in favor of keeping it where it belongs. To One's self.

LubeDude

Admiral

Saw a bumber sticker one time that said, "Not perfect, just forgiven".<br /><br />I am Christian, but I dont have anything on my vehicles that show it just for the reason You just gave. I screw up too often to let someone say those things about me. Also I drive a little on the aggresive side. "Not perfect, just forgiven". And Im working on it. I have a hard time with the "In your face anything". Religion, Gay issues etc. Seems like a way to get attention, be it good or bad.<br /><br />There is a joke out there that goes something like , A cop pulls a lady over after she is seen driving aggresivly and he sees her flipping someone off, He gets out gun drawn and has the lady get out and puts her on the ground and cuffs her. She wants to know why he did this. He says that he thought the vehicle was stollen because it had a Christian symbol on the back, and he didnt think she was acting Christian.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Some of the worst people I know like to act real religous. Drives me crazy. <br /><br />I saw one of those fish things on a car the other day that had legs on it and said darwin underneath. Pretty funny.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

So you are saying that it is wrong for a person to indicate on their personal voice mail that they hope your day is blessed? I'm guessing that it is her belief that there is a God that blesses people and she hopes you are blessed by that God. <br /><br />I do believe that there are times that flaunting a personal belief might not be appropriate; however, this was her personal voice mail. I do applaud you for not holding her beliefs against her by considering her for an interview! Now if you happen to hire her and she concludes her phone calls with, "God Bless You" or something, you, as her employer, have every right to limit her business speech.<br /><br />While I've never cussed at (at least so they could hear me) anybody or flipped them off while driving, I better go rip off the Christian fish symbol off of my truck because I am not perfect.<br /><br />The thing about the Christian faith (I can't speak for other religions) is that it is one that says to share your faith with others, not to keep it to yourself. We Christians are supposed to share the Gospel and hope that others believe in the saving grace that Jesus provides. Don't get mad at Christians for being obedient followers, be mad at God for telling them to do so.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why is it that some people think religious people are perfect? <br /><br />Her voice mail wouldnt bother me, it is her voice. Writing what she did on the onvelope wasnt the smartest thing, but she gave you a hint that religion is a very important part of her life. Perhaps she wanted you to consider that when thinking of hiring her. Perhaps that means she doesnt want to work there if the other employees wont accept her.<br /><br />What makes me mad is, coming to my house trying to convert me. That gets the door slammed in your face, even if you are a 70 yr old man bearing gifts. Very rude of them to assume I neither had a religion, or the one I had wasnt good enough.<br /><br />Ken

sangerwaker

Commander

I fully agree that your religious beliefs should be kept to yourself and not flaunted or forced upon others. One must be extremely careful when approaching this senitive subject with all of the political correctness now. :rolleyes: <br /><br />I used to do some custom engraving, and I made 3" X 4" plastic signs for both of my doors that read:<br /><br />NO SOLICITING<br />or religious freaks<br /><br />Haven't had one Mormon or Jehovah's Witness at my door since.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

James, I thought about that after I posted - you are right, it's her voice mail, it's not a bad thing for her to wish callers a "blessed day." But it made me think, "I hope this isn't one of those people who try to use their religion to get an advantage." The fish symbol on cars isn't a bad thing, either, sorry if I offended. Mostly I just dislike the overuse & misuse of religious symbology.<br /><br />When I say "flaunt" I'm thinking of people who show off their religion like a new piece of jewelry or something; they want you to think they're better than you because of how religious they are. Not quite the same as "sharing."

KennyKenCan

Commander

JamesCostes,<br /><br />Please don't get me wrong, but not everyone is a Christian, and when it is forced upon a non-Christian, Christians take offense to the rejection.<br /><br />Just because a person is loyal to their religion, does not give them a right to inflict their belief onto those who do not agree.<br /><br />Not trying to be anti-religion or anything, just nowhere is anybody gauranteed a right to inflict their beliefs apon everyone they meet.<br /><br />Just an opinion...

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

jtexas and kkc,<br />You know what is ironic about today's topic. I began reviewing job applications for a position I am about to fill.<br /><br />One of the applicants put (and I kid you not), "...and I've got Jesus on my side") under the listing of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities. My guess is that he must have been told about this job by someone who knows me and they thought it would help him get the job (it won't). It definitely falls under the "wrong place" to advertise your faith category even though I like what he said.<br /><br />People who know me understand that it normally doesn't take long for me to share my faith and ask about theirs. I share mine, but honestly don't get too upset if they decide to continue believing differently than me. I continue being friendly to them irregardless of their response to my sharing. After all, if they "reject" what I am sharing and I become mean-spirited, how is that going to make someone reconsider my faith? It probably won't.<br /><br />I respect both of your opinions. Y'all have a nice day and ...<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />... "God Bless You" both. :)

KennyKenCan

Commander

JamesCostes,<br /><br />I too, respect your opinion.<br /><br />You are usually right on with most of your responces. That doesn't necessarily mean I have to agree.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> I better go rip off the Christian fish symbol off of my truck because I am not perfect.<br /><br />
Thats not what I mean at all, I just dont have one on mine for my own reasons. I do have a hat I wear at times that says, "Christian and proud of it" though. :D <br /><br />Ever wonder why all the fuss about crosss? Ill tell you what it is. Its because there is power in the cross and when people see it it convics them and they dont want to be reminded so its offensive. Plain and simple. You never here about anyone saying anything about a budda or any other religious simble. No power there, thus no conviction.

SoulWinner

Commander

Gee guys, I honestly hope that my sig doesn't offend you. That's all I'll add to this one.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I drove home on the 390 last night and there illuminated on a hill top was a sign saying:<br /> "Jezus Saves".<br />By now I am thinking about the next bill board.I think I will rent it for a few weeks and adorn it with a sign saying:<br /> "And Moses Invests!"

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> It's bad enough when people respond to a job listing for which they have not the slightest qualification.<br /><br />But I called a lady for an interview, her outgoing voice mail on her cell ends with "Have a blessed day!" The words "In God we trust!" are handwritten on the envelope; I didn't know if they were added by somebody here in the building, but now I guess she wrote it on there.
<br />What was the job?<br />What DISqualifies her?<br />Not my beezwax..Just curious.<br /><br />
Originally posted by jtexas:<br /><br />If I see a car with one of those Christian fish symbols, never fails the driver will do something crazy then make rude gestures or shout obscenities. Business people who include religious symbols or phrases in their logo, letterhead or business cards often turn out to be unprincipled or unreliable.
<br />That fish does not exclude the owner from the human race,JTexas. Us Christians actually live in the same world you do, facing the same idiocy on the roads, with the same human emotions. You must think the fish symbol symbolizes sainthood, but I'm afraid if you did, you'd be sorely mistaken.<br />We (Christians) know we are sinners. The only real concrete diffence between you and me would be that I have excepted Jesus as my saviour. The rest is no angel. Soulwinner described this fact about Christians , in particular, himself,and his bad habit of cursing like a contruction werker, because he was a contruction worker. He made no excuses for that, but just wanted the forum to know (obviously,as he posted that fact), and that he reserves the right to remain human in spite of his faith.<br />So what does this fish symbol symbolize? Christianity ("Christian inside" or something to that end).<br />Why does this person feel compelled to stick that thing on his vehicle, and why does anyone else need to know this?<br />He put it there to let you know he/she is a Christian , or for any reason he sees fit. And there are many. But suffice to say they WANTED TO.You should allow for that (this being America and all that rot).<br /><br />I have one of those on my tailgate. I also have been known to make some really silly manuevers and jestures, some of which I still feel bad about.<br />I will now explain why I have one on all my vehicles,including my boat trailers...<br />They are there to remind me that I am a Christian, and should drive accordingly. I have one dead-center of my steering wheel too, and for the same reason.<br />It helps with my serious road-rage problem, it calms me in heavy traffic, by it's subtlty. It's subtlty is also it's failing....I'm not allways reminded in the engrosing job of driving.<br /><br />
Originally posted by jtexas:<br /><br /><br />I'm not talking about a tasteful little cross or star of David on a necklace, or even a Sikh wearing a turban.
<br />Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your objection to the fish symbol, because I see a definate bias here in favor of other symbols ,while seeing the fish symbol as "distastefull"... SURELY, I'm mistaken here!?! I pray to God I am.<br /><br />
Originally posted by jtexas:<br /><br /><br />I'll do my best to keep her religious views from influencing my hiring decision, just wish there was a nice way to say, "that's not appropriate here."<br />
<br />Her religious views (as well as your own) should influence your hiring decision, if that means you would be distracted by a blatent,outgoing, and vocal Christian in your midst.<br />Hey, some people are just like that, and besides, it's your buisness descision to make.<br />
Originally posted by jtexas:<br /><br />I think trying to use your religion to promote yourself or your business falls under the category of "using God's name in vain."
I would agree. But are you certain it was or is her intent to decieve you with a faith you object strongly to, or are offended by (at least by outward appearance of the orginal post)??<br /><br />Be all that as it is...I'm here to tell you the fish does not represent an evil faith. It represents a good faith. The owner wants you to know it for whatever reason he/she may have. This woman may be the personification of evil. But wearing her faith on her sleave as she does, I would HIGHLY doubt that. And I would trust her far quicker with the company payroll than I would someone with a pentagram symbol around thier neck. But that's just me.

SoulWinner

Commander

12footer,<br /><br />One reason I have the fish on my truck and wear Christian tee-shirts, is that it provides numerous opportunities to meet other Christians and spend a few minutes with them praising God and Jesus and sharing with each other how the Lord has uplifted us. Like people who put iboats stickers on their cars/trucks/boats, to meet like-minded people.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KM2:<br /> Some of the worst people I know like to act real religous. Drives me crazy. <br /><br />I saw one of those fish things on a car the other day that had legs on it and said darwin underneath. Pretty funny.
Or maybee you're just made more conscious of thier faith because they (unlike the guy next to them) profess said faith?<br />If they are truely amoung the "worst peeople you know", they simply cannot "act religious". It's an oxymoron. "Acting religious" is not acting like an arse.<br />Am I missing somethiing here?

SoulWinner

Commander

Mat 10:32-33<br /><br />Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in Heaven. <br /><br />But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in Heaven.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> 12footer,<br /><br />One reason I have the fish on my truck and wear Christian tee-shirts, is that it provides numerous opportunities to meet other Christians and spend a few minutes with them praising God and Jesus and sharing with each other how the Lord has uplifted us. Like people who put iboats stickers on their cars/trucks/boats, to meet like-minded people.
Me too, but it's such a secondary reason (given my driving habits) :)