I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

tinkere<br /> I gave up hunting back in the 80's. like ya said the sport was gone and I had no need for the meat. hitting them is rather easy and there was never any fun in killing. still isnt even though I do bury the occasional dog,coon or opossum that becomes a threat to the house. most I just shoo off and kick myself for not securing the trash can. a coon in my trash is my fault and not a killing offence on the coons part. however they sometimes decide they are house coons. that is where I attempt a tender trap and relocate unless they act funny. then its a burial. in this sand with an 8" auger type post hole digger its quick to run them about 6-8 ft down.<br /> but to sight in my rifle over life sized deer targets beside the auto feeder for 10 months and blast a deer that comes back to the feeder on opening day is a sickness not a sport. I have seen deer on "sport" ranches in texas that were so tame you could almost hit them with a stick but the hunters always brag about killing them. used $14K worth of gear to shoot something they really dont want or need. then they spend an hour on the phone trying get rid of the carcass before church.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

rodbolt<br /><br />It'd be a fair contest if the deer had a scoped rifle around .30 and the ability to use it.<br /><br />A bit like the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the 'roo starts firing back.<br /><br />I've shot a few 'roos in my time. Used to measure it by how big they were. My proudest (by my then standards) moment aged about 16 was carefully lining up the spine on a big one with a .22 to cripple it. I knew the gun couldn't kill it with a head or chest shot. Shot it in the spine. Crippled it. Ran up to it. Put about 10 shots into its head before I killed it. Seemed to take forever. Some f******g hero, huh?

SoulWinner

Commander

Tinkerer, you have me rolling on the floor here. You are a funny guy! Are you this entertaining in person?? You don't believe, yet you know scripture pretty well. I would love to hang out with you anytime!

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're right rodbolt...you are dense :D (jk)<br /><br />Your flaunting your atheism....he's labeling you an athiest. You must have forgotten that anyone who claims to just plain have no religion is an automatic athiest! :rolleyes: <br /><br />I went through this a while ago...explained that I wasn't raised with any religion of any kind, don't really have much knowledge of any religion, and don't particularly care about one or the other, don't care who puts what personal symbol where. <br /><br />Well I proceeded to get lambasted by a certain member who shall remain nameless (who has not posted in this topic BTW)...including something nasty about Catholics, which I think is what my mother is (I never asked, never cared). To be fair he did post again and appologise for showing his true feelings like that. <br /><br />If you ask me BOTH SIDES need to just mellow out, get a life and concern yourself with your own little world for a change...but there's too many pushers on both sides to ever let that happen. I'm done...have a nice day.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> I hope it offends you as badly as the removal of the "Ten Commandments" sculpture From an Alabama courthouse rotunda offended me 2 years ago!! THAT was a turning-point for me personally,(the last straw of 12Footer tollerance,as it were)..
You can put a cross in your yard, that's fine with me. You can put a fish on your rear window, a verse on your bumper, no problems. Go ahead and put any religious symbol or reference on property that you would like.<br /><br />But keep your religion out of my courthouse.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way...I think the commandments thing in the courthouse fight is ridiculous. It's a part of the history of that building like it or not. <br /><br />I understand the thinking behind what people like wilkin250r are saying, but it's not like it's a new addition to the courthouse. I mean, no one's building NEW courthouses and putting the 10 commandments in them that I know of. THAT I'd be pissed about.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Johnson, I'll agree with you on your point. From a historical standpoint, I don't have a problem with it.<br /><br />Then again, I don't think 12Footer is outraged from a historical point of view. ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> 12 footer<br /> what "religion" do you keeprefering to that I am flaunting? I keep reading my posts and continue to be dense cause I have not professed a "faith" or "belief" in any religion nor have a stated I had "no" religion. I still think it very funny that over the past 200 years most in battlke on both sides prayed to the same god to assist in killing each other.
<br />Rodbolt, I stopped short of "labling" you. But Johnson Liner saw it, so perhaps it was just under your radar. Your religion is atheism. No big deal here, provided we can co-exist in this country. The main thing I would like you to take away from JTexas' thread here, is that tollerance is a two-way street.<br />I have a profound story about what happened to me in the recent past that changed my direction so radically, but it would be wordy and a risk of boredom instead of insight may be the end result.<br />But it keeps getting harder for Christians to keep "turning the other cheek" ,when the very symbols of our faith are being masked if not destroyed daily.<br />
from rodbolt:<br /> I rarely condem anything. I cant blame a "religon" for the actions of a few until that religion has tenants that profess its ok to kill others as "subhuman" or "not worthy".<br /> almost all relious groups have a rather radical fringe. just the way it is. but it does not condem the entire religon to death.
<br /><br />Religions are populated by people exactly like you, me, and a cross-section of other personalities. I will not speak of atheism,satanism, Jehova's Whitnesses ,or any other but that faith that is in my own heart. Naturally, simular religion-centered values begat churches (congregations of somewhat like-minded people).<br />
from rodbolt:<br /> your just not making a lot of sense here, maybe its me. I am rather dense.
<br /><br />How about this? <br />"But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord", as Joshua said in the Bible....It's also a knitted scroll on the door of the guest bedroom in my home.<br />I wasn't allways like this. I used to hold the belief that God was a spaceman....but I called myself a Christian.<br />It's all in the perspective, I guess.<br />
origin; rodbolt<br /> growing up in a small town in southern alabama I always wonered at the "christian" leadership in my church at the time. how they would tell tales of killing cats,dogs, squirrels and rabbits, not for food but for just cause or cause they were eating the veggies in the garden. most hunters I see any more are killers not hunters. most could not follow there own tracks. I see them all the time back here with ATV's spotting scopes range finders and all the other high tech gear, the only thing they dont have is the need for feed, I have a cousin that wont eat a deer but shoots 4 or 5 a year. he says its in the thrill of the hunt. he also is a devout follower. some kind of deacon. I dont have much to do with him. I am not bashing hunting nor fishing. I just dont believe in killing for sport. kinda like the texas "game" ranches where the guy can go kill a lion in a pasture thats fenced in. I used to hunt for freezer meat myself. grew up rather poor and it supplemented the ole diet. even the bible references killing of animals for food. but as yet I have not seen any bible passages that promote killing of gods enimies. maybe you can enligten me on the correct passage?
I can't speak much to the sport of hunting, but I do fish. In our Bible, it clearly says we are above all other life on this planet. Some people value herb gardens more than they do rabits or cutworms I guess. :confused: <br />I have a problem with cats marking my front porch as thier territory. I'm about one more mark-job away from finding some sort of poison bait here. They are a pest. I kill other pests.<br />The jury is still out on my decission there.<br />But I don't like killing other animals.But the bible says I can. The bible also says animals don't have souls, and do not go to heaven...I have a basic problem with that, but it's God's call.<br /> Don't laugh here, but I'll admit to hitting a rabbit about a year ago, on a deserted street early in the morning before daybreak. It was a very young juevenile rabbit, that must've just set-out on his own. I stopped to see how badly I had injured it. It seemed to have a broken back or leg,as it tried to "roll" away from me as opposed to hopping. I went back to the truck to get a box. I was bound and detirmine to pay the price for my inattention, and get a professional verdict from a vet. As I walked back to the injured critter, it rolled trying to escape,---right into a catch basin. This basin was about 7 feet deep with about 3 feets of standing water in it. By the time I got the cover off, I saw nothing. No movement. I replaced the cover, and cried a little.It wasn't the fact that I killed the little guy that bothered me so badly, but the unimaginable suffering it went thru----just before it drowned. I guess you had to be there.<br />I'm getting windy, and appologise. But I also have tasted rabbit. It aint to bad, although it's not my favorite.<br />Again,rodbolt, there are all kinds out there. Me, them, you , we are all sinners.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

johnson-liner<br /> I am in no way atheist. not at all. I just kinda gave upon organized religions. most are just not for me. but I do try to attend other services and such to see for myself whats going on. I attended several klan rallies in my younger days. am I a klansman> heck no them guys are twisted yet christian to a man woman and child, ask anyof them.<br />some of our church deacons were klansmen, some of the other church deacons were as well. town had almost 300 residents. no alchohol sales from 12 am sunday to 12 am monday no traffic lights no movie theatre for 26 miles and about 8 churches. 2 schools, an elementary and a high. I knew most the people at the rally. most were well respected "christians". kinda turned me off of church but not from believing.<br /> I still think it funny that both sides can pray to the same god asking help to kill "his" enimies.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My bible teaches that all killing is wrong. And it does not mince words. "Thall Shalt not kill!".<br />This means, if you kill , you sin. I'll shut up now.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

12 footer<br /> your incredibly wrong about atheism. I try tobe very tolerant of all religions, not just the popular ones. however not only doI dont want the 10 commandments on a public sitting I also dont want wiccan prayers,islamic readings nor buddist prayers. if I allow one I have to allow all. so there fore I choose to allow none. however if its on a personal vehicle or personal property I say great. but that goes for all religios sayings/signs not just the mainstream.<br /> I dont know where you jumped tothe conclusion I was atheist. maybe you ASSuME'd it. I feel bad when I kill sick animals myself. the older I get the less I personally like tokill. however I will fight to the death your right to hunt. I still enjoy shooting just for me killing leaves me sad. I stil l fish and yes I feel bad when I gut hook one. those I bring home and they get eaten. I just get burned out by folks that thump the bible preaching one thing and dothe opposite. talk is cheap, I prefer to be judged on my actions. the day after hurricane floyd the churches here were wringing hands and crying. 2 days after floyd me,my truck, my boat ,3 motors, food, camping gear,tools and 400 pounds of dog and cat food were camped in kinston NC, 2 more days we moved to Tarboro and spent 9 days camped in a field there. in the morning I helped feed the displaced in the red cross kitchen during the day we did animal rescues and helped folks. took 11 days away from my work using nothing but my money and no one from the churches here where there. they were all home in the AC watching it on TV.,

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Tinkerer, you have me rolling on the floor here. You are a funny guy! Are you this entertaining in person?? You don't believe, yet you know scripture pretty well. I would love to hang out with you anytime!
I guess my wife thinks I'm funny but not entertaining. When I say something she just laughs and walks out of the room.<br /><br />On scripture, the main problems I have are that it is so selectively interpreted and it is not viewed in its historical context like any other ancient document. <br /><br />The first problem is that the New Testament is translated from the Greek versions written a couple of centuries after the events it claims to record. How reliable are you as the source of information on what really happened in your neck of the woods in 1805 as passed down orally?<br /><br />The next problem is that some of the good book apparently doesn't apply to Christians. Leviticus is my favourite. Whatever you do, you're unclean for X days and you gotta wash and wash and wash. I don't see that being followed stringently anywhere in Christendom, although aspects of it are still popular in Islam. So if Christians can ignore those very clear instructions from the same source of divine inspiration as the rest of the Old Testament, how come the Old Testament 10 commandments still apply? As far as I'm concerned, it's all or nothing. <br /><br />The endless biblical injunctions on not eating pork and shellfish etc make perfect sense as knowledge gained from experience about dangerous foods. When it's translated into the modern world it makes about as much sense as retaining the medieval practice of firing cannon into the air to disperse the miasma that was supposed to cause disease when the main problem was that they were feeding their sewage into their water supply. We learn as we go on, unless it's in the selected bits of the bible that some people choose to believe and which are supposed to bind us forever.<br /><br />I don't have a problem with the moral teachings of Christ. They were excellent. I just don't think they need to be bound up with churches and altars and vestments and elevating ministers and priests above the laity etc. Congregationalists ain't much different in the end.<br /><br />Christ's teachings stand on their own two feet as sound rules for a humane and just society. It's only when the churches and religious zealots get hold of them that it all goes sour. <br /><br />I can't think of anything good that's been done by religious people that couldn't be justified on humanitarian or justice grounds. I can think of lots of harm done by churches and religious people over the past couple of thousand years of sectarian wars and persecution that can't be justified on any grounds other than religious factionalism and that were grossly inhumane and unjust. And precisely contrary to Christ's teaching.<br /><br />Good can exist without religion, and without Christ's teaching. It just needs everybody to agree to be decent to each other. That ain't gonna happen, so people who get screwed in this life have the option of signing up for religions that promise a better time in the afterlife. <br /><br />I don't think there is an afterlife. <br /><br />Then again, after all those years of unsuccessful attempts by the nuns and the laughably titled Christian Brothers to turn me into a Catholic, I just might go to cofession on my death bed. Can't do any harm.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with ya tinkerer:).<br /> maybe we both had the same first ex wife as well :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> Religious freedom is a wonderful thing, one of the reasons for the founding of the United States. The statements shown above reflect the diverse beliefs in our population. Someone get's offended by small fish symbol? What about proudly displaying the cross, the device of death for Jesus? Is that Christian to display a symbol of the cross used to crucify him? I find crosses absolutely revolting, but that's my right isn't it?
A crucifix (the cross with Jesus on it) is typically a Catholic symbol, not being Catholic I can't really comment knowlegably about it.<br /><br />The empty cross used by Protestants (and Catholics also?) symbolizes Jesus' resurrection and victory over death.<br /><br />As far as whether you have a right to be revolted, that's a legal question and I'm no lawyer. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. ;)

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> My bible teaches that all killing is wrong. And it does not mince words. "Thall Shalt not kill!".<br />This means, if you kill , you sin. I'll shut up now.
How hypocritical is this?!?!?!<br /><br />Just under this quote is his customized signature.... and it reads "A rack of baby back, a six pack and a Mercury on back with a jack....Hey y'all---watch this!"<br /><br />12Footer won't kill any animals, he let's someone else kill the animal for the baby back.... and he sleeps better at night.. I guess?<br /><br />I love to hunt, fish, et al. It always makes me chuckle when someone condemns it, but they want their meat every night at dinner. Go figure.<br /><br />Every animal I hunt has a sporting chance, I am in THEIR woods playing a game they are better at. Hunter success (in the Western US) is less than 50%.... I'll bet the slaughterhouse that slices the throat on your babybacks is 100% guaranteed death.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br />
Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> My bible teaches that all killing is wrong. And it does not mince words. "Thall Shalt not kill!".<br />This means, if you kill , you sin. I'll shut up now.
How hypocritical is this?!?!?!<br /><br />Just under this quote is his customized signature.... and it reads "A rack of baby back, a six pack and a Mercury on back with a jack....Hey y'all---watch this!"<br /><br />12Footer won't kill any animals, he let's someone else kill the animal for the baby back.... and he sleeps better at night.. I guess?<br /><br />I love to hunt, fish, et al. It always makes me chuckle when someone condemns it, but they want their meat every night at dinner. Go figure.<br /><br />Every animal I hunt has a sporting chance, I am in THEIR woods playing a game they are better at. Hunter success (in the Western US) is less than 50%.... I'll bet the slaughterhouse that slices the throat on your babybacks is 100% guaranteed death.
If you think that is hypocritical, you will believe it. Yes, I eat meat. I've eaten rabbit before. I have yet to try human, but who knows? Ever been hungry? And who here is conndemning hunting or fishing? I'm an avid fisherman, but the reasons I no longer hunt are many... I'm old, can purchase my meat in an air-conditioned store, and I'm frankly tired of being skunked, game wardens, private property borders, tags, ammo...I like to clean my guns once a year, unless they are fired. I never really enjoyed "hunting fo sport", and allways went on hog hunts for the company, and babybacks, and homemade suasgage on a Saturday morining in the middle of nowhere. I don't even go camping tho, any longer. But that's another argument, I guess.<br />I have many other reasons for no longer hunting, but just know, none of them are as silly as you ellude to in that absurd attempt at a "flame-12Footer" post. But then, this messenger is used to such assaults. Ask PW2. :) <br /> Hunting -- Been there, done that, and don't want to anymore. For whatever reasons I choose, don't care to, thank yaverymuch.<br />As for the "six pack" reference that you quoted from my sig, I don't even drink. :) <br />"Hey Y'all, watch this!"?? I don't trash on my equipment either. It costs too much to fix after the fact. <br />So, if you can't take my sig as the humour it was meant to illustrate, than too dern bad. Get over it, if you can.<br /><br /><br />I do not understand the leap you are attempting from killing humans to killing food!<br />But I don't concern myself with it iether.<br />And you have no grasp on what the bible teaches or "means", because you do not follow it's teachings, study it, or have any reason to.<br />The BIBLE teaches us! Thew BIBLE teaches us! "Thal shalt not kill"! It forces no man to follow that advice! You very slyly and carefullyEXCLUDED all references in my posts to every one of us being sinners. We all sin, all the way to the Pope! But the fact that you look thru a thread to try to discredit me, tells me more about you than I care to know. You need help. And you won't find it in a psyciatrist's office,iether. I hope you find it in time.

Tinkerer

A: What on earth is a baby back?<br /><br />I'm assuming you don't rip the spine out of human babies, but what babies do you get them from?<br /><br /> B: As for "thou shalt not kill", apart from Buddhists most religions apply that prohibition only to killing other humans. The prohibition was probably necessary as humans kill each other like no other species on earth. There's not a lot of evidence that it's working, given the endless wars and genocides.<br /><br />The bible specifically gives humans dominion over animals. Unfortunately for the animals, creation didn't equip them with the capacity to make weapons. Hunting animals would be a lot more interesting if they all had scoped nightsights, plus the odd Claymore mine and so on to keep the hunters on their toes. <br /><br />Big men like Ernest Hemingway might think it's manly to bring an elephant down with an express rifle. I'm way more impressed by African rites of passage that involve going into the bush with a knife and a spear and killing a lion. Anyone in the US want to go after puma or bear or moose with just a knife and spear? That's real hunting, on a real equal footing that gives the animal the chance to strike back. Shooting is nothing. Any idiot with a scope can do that.<br /><br />I know, because I'm an idiot and I've shot, killed and wounded all sorts of animals with and without scopes. Scopes are way easier.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Babyback ribs? They are pork ribs. They are nummy.<br />The concept of the sixth commandment, ("Thou Shalt Not Kill"), aint rocket science.<br />The concept of following such commandments., as a course of direction for mankind, is in the process of being subdued by opposing forces to what the Bible teaches. An example of this is the act of removing the sculpture bearing those commandments from the Alabama capital building rotunda on November 14th, 2003.<br /><br />And the are many more assaults taking place daily. There are Christians who stand idly-by, as this process takse place. And there are those who see it as a call to arms.That aint rocket science either. <br />Understand that there are people amoungst you, who will no longer "turn the other cheek". They will be called "hipocrytes" and worse. But they wont tolerate it any longer, nor be swayed. There is a war on, and I am not talking about the War on Islamic Terror. This war dwarfs anything man can concieve in his small, sinning brain.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My dad got into an argument with his BIL (my uncle) once over the "dominion over the animals" question; Uncle Larry thought testing products on animals was wrong & Daddy kept saying "we have dominion" over and over. Hilarious. If either would have listened to reason I would've tried to explain about how "dominion" means "responsibility" - we can kill 'em all off or torture 'em to death if we want to without fear of devine reprisal, but do we really want to do that?<br /><br />Sure the Bible says "Thou shalt not kill" but that didn't stop Joshua from fitting the battle of Jericho "and the walls came a-tumblin' down." Didn't put an end to capital punishment either, not even amongst those to whom the ten commandments were specifically addressed.<br /><br />What do I mean by all this? Heck if I know. Unless maybe that it's a complicated question. Or that people can justify most anything they want to do.<br /><br />Tinkerer's right, animals didn't get the capacity to make weapons. And it's a darn good thing, too, cause all we got was opposeable thumbs and huge brains; otherwise, homo sapiens would be just a footnote in the history books.