I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

Am I allowed to quote Monty Python's "Life of Brian" in it's entirety? :) :) :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> Am I allowed to quote Monty Python's "Life of Brian" in it's entirety? :) :) :p
just incorporate it herein by reference<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />"blessed are the cheesemakers"

Danible

Cadet

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Part of the Christian faith is sharing what we believe. As a Christian, God does not want us to keep it to ourselves, so the Bible says. That doesn't mean i'll be going door to door trying to convert people, but it does mean I will share my faith with whomever will listen. Hopefully, in the process, I can convert some people to Christianity. I don't "force" my religion on anybody, but I will be the first one to share my religion with anyone.<br /><br />If you consider yourself a Christian, then it is your duty to "share", not "force" your religion on those that are in need.<br /><br />Just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)
That is exactly right! For those that don't share, or speak openly about it, are you ashamed? Just as you have the right not to listen, I have the right to speak. Just as I don't jump to conclusions about the style of boat you have, don't automatically jumped to conclusions about my lifestyle. And God has given you the right not to befriend me if my "rhetoric" annoys you. <br /><br />Have a blessed day...

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

trying to have a debate without MY? :p <br /><br />I view a christian bumper sticker like a<br />"my kid is a genious" one... <br />but I still wonder, can u walk the walk?<br /><br />SW can wear his badge of honer in good faith<br />if he's doing what's right IMO. the problem<br />stems from too many using it as a shield to<br />deflect the truth...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Jtexas<br /> now I know where our current admin speech writers turn for inspiration :) :) . it just occured to me

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I am probably more religious than the next guy, yet Christianity/religion annoys me to no end.<br /><br />I won't make a blanket statement as fact, but in my own experience, most vocal Christians are complete imbiciles. If I ever saw somebody that put "...and I've got Jesus on my side" under Knowledge and Skills on a job application, my first instinct would be that this person is a very... slow... learner. I've worked with many of them, I've seen it over and over. <br /><br />I'm not trying to be insulting, truly. I am merely presenting my own experience. At least 90% of all vocal Christians I have ever known or worked with have had below-average intelligence. They were all very nice, always contributed to the social events and the company pot-luck, yet were also completely incompetant at their jobs.<br /><br />Never had a problem with those Christians that were less vocal. I've known many, worked with many, and most are very good at their jobs. But it never failed, of all Christians I have known or worked with, those that were most vocal about their religion were the least competant at their jobs. We had to fire several of them for poor performance. I would wonder if they showed similar performance in other areas of life (like driving).

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey.... I wear Christian T-shirts, occassionally wear my star of David pendant, occassionally wear lapel pins that are representative of Christianity, and I even have a Christian fish on my "cruiser".... does that make me a "religious freak"?<br /><br />I speak very rarely unless I am speaking about religion. When having conversations with people, I incorporate my faith and Christian beliefs into the conversation, does that make me "insensitive"?<br /><br />And for me, the reason that I wear Christian T-shirts and such is because I like to take preemptive measures to ensure that I, myself, am not put into a situation that I am not comfortable. I have seen the difference in people when they knew beforehand about my "religious" standing. People are less prone to being rude, crude, using vulgar and inappropriate language or acting in such a manner that would make both them and myself uncomfortable. <br /><br />If people see me coming and realize that I am wearing a Christian T-shirt and don't want to be "bothered" with what comes along with that, they forego the entire meeting.<br /><br />On the other hand, I have met some absolutely wonderful people and the whole meeting was prompted by my T-shirts.<br /><br />Be it right or wrong..... I give everyone the chance to say "thanks" or "no thanks" before they even have a chance to say anything to me. And by the way, I don't push my religion on anyone. I actually don't agree with any one religion because I don't believe any one has it totally right!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The following post is nescisary because some of you still do not get it.....<br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /> I'm really glad at least some of you seem to understand the concept of those of us "liberals" that object to school prayers and the displays the ten commandments in courthouses, etc.<br /><br />It is *NOT* that we are anti-religion in any way, and we like the private display of any religious material you prefer, including such things as Jesus fish and the like. It is your free speech right.<br /><br />It is, however, wrong when the government officially sanctions one point of view at the expense of another's.<br /><br />Again it is refreshing to know that some of you at least understand the concept of freedom from oppression.
PW2 has just "flaunted his religion" in the above quoted post.<br />I have the same rights as him....And he understands that.<br /><br />HOWEVER-----<br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> " lord bless this thine holy handgrenade so it may blow your enemies to smithereens". I always love that line. its so appropriate.<br />no where in the bible did I read about its ok to kill in the name of christ. whats funny is the amount of killing the "cult" of christianity has done in the name of a non-violent god the strictly forbids killing.<br /> but I guess since most all kill in the name of their god its s self canceling Null.<br /> goes back to my new rules of war. first wave is all the politicians and their families, second wave is all the clergy and their families. if the war is still worth fighting Ill load my rifle but in the mean time I have other things to do. but I warrenty wars will be fought a lot less. yes I am religous but I tend not to say much but let my actions speak. its difficult to subscribe to a religion where a political leader says a prayer to his god just before killing thousands of civilians and innocents over some oil. its just not for me.
Above, Robolt "Flaunts" away here also. But with a difference.<br />Sure, I flaunt my religion, but as an American, those who profess to be "tolerant", are ANYTHING BUT!! I demand my equal rights!<br /><br /><br />My religious "flags" have become more important to me since loosing one religious symbol after another in the name of so-called "tollerance" and said display "offending" some satan worshiper who complains to the local government over it's display. DO NOT try the same worn-out montra of "tollerance" with me, when persecution in broad daylight takes-place just as visably as book and buisness-burning took place durring Krystalnacht!!<br />I WILL worship my faith ,wherever I am at the time. If this happens to be in your pressence, or even in the same elevator as you, you have no choice but to "be offended"!!!<br />And if this DOES offend you, I hope it offends you as badly as the removal of the "Ten Commandments" sculpture From an Alabama courthouse rotunda offended me 2 years ago!! THAT was a turning-point for me personally,(the last straw of 12Footer tollerance,as it were)..<br />If it offends you, I hope you choke on my blatent tailgate display!!!!<br />HOWS THIS FOR "TOLERANCE"???!!<br /><br />
40710760.jpg
<br />I'll now stand-down on this subject and thread, having said my peacxe. But to quote Culpepper, "DON'T TREAD ON ME"!

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man 12Footer!! You go boy. <br /><br />People don't realize that there will come a day when we people of faith WILL stand up for what we believe and everyone else will have to tolerate us. Tolerance is a two way street and I believe we christians are going way beyond our limits. We are people too! We have been pushed and pushed and will continue to be pushed to a certain point.... we too have our rights! It feels as though everyone is forgetting that fact! We are not just christian, but we are people like everyone else and we are Americans with the same rights, not only God given, but constitutional also, as everyone else!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Alright then... Since we're flaunting here, pardon me while I flaunt mine a lil'..<br />
E-AlienFish.gif
<br /> :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

how did I flaunt anything?<br /> I just pointed to the incongruity of saying a prayer before battle, especially when in so many wars both sides prayed to the same god to help kill HIS enemies.<br /> in no way am I flaunting anything, other than my right as an american to express a view. I guess if your view isnt gubberment texican sanctioned its ok to censor or call it "twopeed".<br /> I dont mind symbols of any kind be it crosses fishes or pentagrams on someones private vehicle. it has no place on any govt vehicle or public place paid for and supported by taxpayer funds. if your praying out loud on an elevator with me I am just as likly to chat a druid prayer, wiccan prayer or some passages from the tora. religion has a place. freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.<br /> so no I flaunt nothing. most bible thumpers I know arent worth the price of lead to put them out of their misery.<br /> I would rather judge someone by their deeds rather than words or a symbol on the neck or bumper.<br /> I have attended about any "religous" ceromoney I could. including some wiccan and two satanic. many catholic,jewish, mormon, non-denominational ane a druid and some muslim and a few others here and there. cant condem them until you see them. its mostly not for me but most are harmless. in fact most have the same tenants as the babtist ones I was raised with.most say thou shalt not kill. nothing about only kill mine enemies.

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> NO SOLICITING<br />or religious freaks<br /><br />Haven't had one Mormon or Jehovah's Witness at my door since.
freaks? okay..

KRS

Banned

Religious freedom is a wonderful thing, one of the reasons for the founding of the United States. The statements shown above reflect the diverse beliefs in our population. Someone get's offended by small fish symbol? What about proudly displaying the cross, the device of death for Jesus? Is that Christian to display a symbol of the cross used to crucify him? I find crosses absolutely revolting, but that's my right isn't it?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> Religious freedom is a wonderful thing, one of the reasons for the founding of the United States. The statements shown above reflect the diverse beliefs in our population. Someone get's offended by small fish symbol? What about proudly displaying the cross, the device of death for Jesus? Is that Christian to display a symbol of the cross used to crucify him? I find crosses absolutely revolting, but that's my right isn't it?
Yes, it is. It's also mine to place in front of my Church, on my walls, wherever I want to. The symbol of the cross is supposed to revolt us all. But as Christians, we are not only revolted, but reminded of the ultimate sacrifice he made for us. Different people react differentl;y to it. But deal with it.<br />I react to photographs of the WTC ablaze , much the same way. It uncovers many emotions , and plants them in my heart. I'm revolted, angered, reminded, and emotionbally hardened when I see it.<br />Would I put a pic of it on my wall? I don't think so, as it would drive me to militant insanity in a short while. But I reserve the right to, and for you to put it up too, even if you want to put it up to admire the Alqueda terrorist's "handiwork".<br /><br />It's not even a religious symbol. It's pretty generic, when compared to other symbols you can come up with. How about a sculpture of two people goin at it? There is a building in India that is surrounded by graphic scultures of just that.<br />I can just see a group of perverts trying to erect some filth like that, and call it "ART", what the reaction would be by the general public-- and then, there's us Christians!<br />But although we (at least us Christians) have standards here they are less "set in stone" standards than they would be in India.<br />The WTC burning photo moves people in different ways. Perhaps we should ban it, right?<br />Over my dead body, maybee.<br />As for religious symbols like the cross, the fish,etc....the line has been crossed for many more Christians last week. You may be oblivious to the fact that Christian church populations, at least those in America, are going to swell a little next Sunday, after the cross was removed from the cemetary last week.. "This could be a dangerous backlash", this unseen, unanticipated reaction by Christians comming back to the fold---putting thier bodies back where thier hearts are--- becomming the "Soldiers of Christ" they once thought of as just a figure of speach. Be afraid. Be very afraid. MUCH DEEPER symbolizm has been unwhitingly unleashed by it's removal, than it if had sat as a silent tribute to fallen soldiers,and undisturded for another hundred years!!!!<br />Those who had whined about the cross are ememies of the cross....Ememies of a symbol? <br />right.<br />Sure.<br />They are ememies of what the symbol represented.<br />They removed a symbol,but more importantly to ME anyway, attacked what it symbolised.<br />Some of us are not happily watching the removal, yet are rejoycing in the reprocussions! Some like me urge ALL Christians to battle....It's 2:30AM, and I'm fighting the fight.<br />As for your sign banning "religious freaks"....How do you know what is in someones heart when they walk in? Just curious.<br />Your sign wouldn't scare me away, and I'm about as "freaky" as people get this side of nurse Cratchet's door (religious-sybolizationally anyhow).<br />I'd probably go in to say a silent prayer for you......and you'd never even know it. ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> how did I flaunt anything?
<br /><br /> you " just pointed to the incongruity of saying a prayer before battle, especially when in so many wars both sides prayed to the same god to help kill HIS enemies"<br /> <br /><br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br />in no way am I flaunting anything, other than my right as an american to express a view.
<br />Call it what you like.<br /><br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br />I guess if your view isnt gubberment texican sanctioned its ok to censor or call it "twopeed".
<br />Whats a "twospeed"? Some sort of bike symbol?<br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /><br /> I dont mind symbols of any kind be it crosses fishes or pentagrams on someones private vehicle. it has no place on any govt vehicle or public place paid for and supported by taxpayer funds. if your praying out loud on an elevator with me I am just as likly to chat a druid prayer, wiccan prayer or some passages from the tora. religion has a place. freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.
<br />And this is not flaunting your religion in what way?<br /><br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br />most bible thumpers I know arent worth the price of lead to put them out of their misery.<br /> I would rather judge someone by their deeds rather than words or a symbol on the neck or bumper.
<br />Wow...You don't flaunt your faith, do you? <br />If you're under the polular belief that Christians will "turn the other cheek" while you empty your gun on them, well---maybee. But only WHILE THEY'RE RELOADING!<br />Oh no. You don't flaunt YOUR religion :rolleyes: .<br />
Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /><br /> I have attended about any "religous" ceromoney I could. including some wiccan and two satanic. many catholic,jewish, mormon, non-denominational ane a druid and some muslim and a few others here and there. cant condem them until you see them. its mostly not for me but most are harmless. in fact most have the same tenants as the babtist ones I was raised with.most say thou shalt not kill. nothing about only kill mine enemies.
Yet you see them ...THEN condemn them ,AFTER you see them?? Confusing, but allrighty then-- or are they suddenly "worth the lead"?<br />How noble!How confusing!<br />Just leave my religion, it's symbols and it's people alone, if they offend you. Treat us like just another group of kids with thier pants halfway down and thier undies showing, and we coexist peacfully.<br />Go ahead and try to shelter yourself from us if you feel compelled to do so. But you are supposed to be "tollerant". Remember?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm being discriminated against here.<br /><br />I can't flaunt my religion because I ain't got one.<br /><br />As for the fish symbol, the Christians ought to be more worried about flaunting it than those who object to it. As I recall it's around the fourth commandment against idolatry in the original version in Exodus that there is a prohibition on reproducing likenesses of marine creatures, amongst other things. I don't recall a commandment that says you can't object to likenesses of marine creatures. Ain't gonna be heathens go to hell for breaking any commandments here.<br /><br />Maybe Christians should be allowed a little leeway here as much stricter interpretations of the same scriptural injunction in Islam prohibit images of all living things. That's why classical Islamic architecture has only geometric shapes as decoration. Funny how strict fundamentalist Muslims like bin Laden and al-Zarqawi don't have any trouble using videos to reproduce human images to support their campaign to convert the world and return it to a pure Koranic state where, strange but true, nobody will be allowed to reproduce the human or any other living image. <br /><br />I wonder what terrible character flaw it is in me that makes me so cynical about what I see as selective interpretations of scripture etc by people who profess to see it as inflexible rules which apply to all of us, except them when it suits them for it not to apply?<br /><br />I have to say this thread has been a revelation to me. I thought the fish symbol meant the driver was a fellow fisherman. Now that I know what it really means, that'll be the last time I let them into a line of traffic. I'm just hoping I'm not going to be shocked by even more disturbing revelations about what the "Baby on Board" signs mean.

Tinkerer

You may be oblivious to the fact that Christian church populations, at least those in America, are going to swell a little next Sunday, after the cross was removed from the cemetary last week[/QB]
Sorry, I don't know what this refers to. Can you tell us more?

Tinkerer

If I'd hit the edit button instead of the quote button this wouldn't be here.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

12 footer<br /> what "religion" do you keeprefering to that I am flaunting? I keep reading my posts and continue to be dense cause I have not professed a "faith" or "belief" in any religion nor have a stated I had "no" religion. I still think it very funny that over the past 200 years most in battlke on both sides prayed to the same god to assist in killing each other.<br /> I rarely condem anything. I cant blame a "religon" for the actions of a few until that religion has tenants that profess its ok to kill others as "subhuman" or "not worthy".<br /> almost all relious groups have a rather radical fringe. just the way it is. but it does not condem the entire religon to death.<br /> your just not making a lot of sense here, maybe its me. I am rather dense. growing up in a small town in southern alabama I always wonered at the "christian" leadership in my church at the time. how they would tell tales of killing cats,dogs, squirrels and rabbits, not for food but for just cause or cause they were eating the veggies in the garden. most hunters I see any more are killers not hunters. most could not follow there own tracks. I see them all the time back here with ATV's spotting scopes range finders and all the other high tech gear, the only thing they dont have is the need for feed, I have a cousin that wont eat a deer but shoots 4 or 5 a year. he says its in the thrill of the hunt. he also is a devout follower. some kind of deacon. I dont have much to do with him. I am not bashing hunting nor fishing. I just dont believe in killing for sport. kinda like the texas "game" ranches where the guy can go kill a lion in a pasture thats fenced in. I used to hunt for freezer meat myself. grew up rather poor and it supplemented the ole diet. even the bible references killing of animals for food. but as yet I have not seen any bible passages that promote killing of gods enimies. maybe you can enligten me on the correct passage?

Tinkerer

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> growing up in a small town in southern alabama I always wonered at the "christian" leadership in my church at the time. how they would tell tales of killing cats,dogs, squirrels and rabbits, not for food but for just cause or cause they were eating the veggies in the garden. most hunters I see any more are killers not hunters. most could not follow there own tracks. I see them all the time back here with ATV's spotting scopes range finders and all the other high tech gear, the only thing they dont have is the need for feed, I have a cousin that wont eat a deer but shoots 4 or 5 a year.
Ain't it remarkable how armed meat eaters are the most violent defenders of vegetables under threat from animals that someone - maybe God - designed and put on the earth to eat the vegetables?<br /><br />I gave up killing animals for "sport" a long time ago because it's no contest between a competent shot, especially with a properly scoped rifle at long range, and any kind of animal. I felt bad about killing dumb creatures that had no chance and that I wasn't going to eat.<br /><br />It's not hard to get meat. Used to do it on farms. Just get a sheep in a hold between your legs and cut its throat. Takes a lot more effort to cut a throat than the movies suggest to get that knife right in and across. The sheep don't seem to like it. Me neither. If it was a sport you'd have to run 'em down in the wild. That's why we pen them first so we can kill them easy.<br /><br />I wonder what the bible would say if sheep and chickens and deer and dogs and cats and pigs etc had written it. Of course they couldn't write it because they're not God's creatures. Well, the bible says they're God's creatures but apparently they don't rate. Something about God giving man dominion over all the other creatures.<br /><br />Probably the same biblical principle that allows various religions to assert that the bible or some divine revelation (hard to prove but if you've had one you'll know it for sure) gives them dominion over the rest of us. And the right to discriminate against, exclude and kill non-believers for not subscribing to their opinion about worshipping God, their god, a god, or any bloody god.<br /><br />The same mentality that justifies flying planes full of innocent people into buildings full of innocent people because this is what God wants for a purer world.