I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: I Wish People Wouldn't Flaunt Their Religion

Whooeeee, 12footer, I was all over the map & you called me on it!<br /><br />I was just thinking about all the responses & having to screen out the unqualified applicants who were just wasting my time. That part was unrelated to the thread topic & I should have left it out.<br /><br />You misunderstood my objection to the fish symbol because I did such a poor job of expressing myself. I find that normally polite, sensitive people can exhibit extremely uncharacteristically rude behavior while driving, which makes it kind of risky for them to display a Christian symbol on their car.<br /><br />As for the rest of it, looks like you spent more time on it than I did; that's a pretty good analysis. I can't honestly disagree with any of your comments. I shouldn't have just tossed such a sensitive subject out there without giving it more thought.<br /><br />Pretty insightful, there Lubedude, "Its because there is power in the cross and when people see it it convics them and they dont want to be reminded so its offensive." Careful, people might start thinking of you as an intellectual! :)

ob

Admiral

Now if you want to discuss the gross overuse of these magnetic ribbons that some vehicles display in double digit numbers that reflect just about every topic under the sun.... :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Whooeeee, 12footer, I was all over the map & you called me on it!<br />-----edit------<br />As for the rest of it, looks like you spent more time on it than I did; that's a pretty good analysis. I can't honestly disagree with any of your comments. I shouldn't have just tossed such a sensitive subject out there without giving it more thought.
NP, Jtexas. I took your original post as an issue that has given you lots to think about. And it's good that you still are. So am I to this day. I'm far from perfect, cuss like a sailor, drive like "Mr Toad" sometimes (even with the fish), and pretty much whine like a red-headed stepchild when I don't get my way. But God knows I keep trying. :) <br />It's a sensitive subject that needs to be discussed. So why not toss it out there for comment?<br />I won't deny a gut-reaction of frustration (the whiner in me) that colored my original reply.<br />The same thing happens behind the wheel with me, and I gotta "rub the fish" before i use the finger for another purpose :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well I am religous<br /> In God I trust.<br /> all others pay in cash

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just an FYI. I was on the Catacombe Website the other day. (planning a trip to Italy) It said that the first inital of each of the words in the phrase "Jesus Christ the Lord Savior" in Greek spells fish in Greek. I always had wondered why the fish represented the Jesus Christ. Apparently in the 2nd century AD the Christians in Rome were persecuted for their religion. They used such symbols as the fish and the dove to represent their religious devotions. The whole catacombe thing was because they were not allowed to be buried in the City of Rome. They were very poor and the land was donated to become cemeteries for these Christians. They buried their dead in trench like layers that surrounded the city. Some of the early Apostles are supposedly buried in them. The Apostle Paul and Peter, it said. It was quite interesting.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

When I was a child I had a preacher explain the "witnessing" to me like this. Luke 11:33 says that "No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel but on a candlestick, that they who come in may see the light." The candle is your faith. DO NOT force religion upon someone, simply make it known that you are a christian. Do not hide your faith. But when you are in an appropriate environment, show it. Like the other day I was talking to a customer about my pending business start-up loan. I referred that I had prayed and the outcome was in God's hands. I did not force religion upon her. I showed her my candle, that I was a christian. The light was there for her to see.<br /><br />I am very pleased and heartened by all the replies being of tolerance toward everyone else's opinions. Unlike some other posts where there is no tolerance of opposing/differing points of view.<br /><br />Just my two cents. And Jtexas, I believe that you are pure in heart and won't hold it against her. But as a christian, I too believe that her business correspondence with you was not a place to express religion. Her voicemail, and you stated that you had reconsidered this, is personal. It just happned to be how you conducted business with her. Once she is an employee, then placing tasteful religious items on her desk would be appropriate in my mind. My MIL was VP at the bank where she worked and she had a Crucifix, and other religious adornments in her office, but they were distreet and tasteful. She displayed her candle and left it at that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It must have been her place to express her faith --- because she did. The Romans fed folks to lions for that. That does NOT make such expression wrong or inapropriate (to her anyhow).<br />Perhaps it was to her prospective employer, but that's his buisness, as it was the job of the government of Rome in 79AD.<br /> <br />Just as those persicuted people, she shows no fear of the lions. I would be proud to know such a fearless Christian, because sometimes, I myself am not NEARLY as brave, and sometimes such bravery rubs-off. <br />Her candle is brighter than any star.<br />And everyone knows John 3:16.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Christian symbols work for me.<br /><br />Can't beat Hitler's Wehrmacht with "Gott mit uns" ["God is with us'} on their belt buckles. Fully approved by the local churches (admittedly thinned a bit by political winnowing, but who cares if the state interferes with the churches?) whose padres blessed the soldiers wearing them before going into righteuous battle against the Allies. Who oddly enough had their own padres, often Lutheran and predominantly Protestant just like the Germans, blessing them before the same battles and exhorting them to kill the soldiers on the other side whose belt buckles put God on their side. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out?<br /><br />I always liked the car stickers that said "Christians aren't perfect, just saved". How's that for true Christian humility?<br /><br />Not to mention the grand examples of truly Christian charity in all the major Christian churches which have been abysmal beyond belief in handling the claims of people abused by their clerics and other officials.<br /><br />In case it's thought that I'm a minor anti-Christ, I find aspects of Judaism and Islam even more objectionable. Especially when bound up with the states which support them. Like Israel. Saudi Arabia. Afghanistan. Pakistan. Syria. Libya. All of which profess to be to a greater or lesser extent implements of their god on this planet in protecting their chosen people and doing their god's will. Which usually involves suppressing, torturing and killing the people who oppose the governments which God apparently put in place in these countries. Since the last one He put in place there.<br /><br />If God exists, he certainly has a cosmic sense of humour. Who else could have inspired, in order, Jews, Christians and Muslims to worship the same God? And who but the world's greatest practical joker could have given the three major religions Jerusalem as one of the supposed sources of their religion to fight over for thousands of years, in the past and forever into the future as long as that silly creature of God, called man, carries out His injunctions to peace, harmony and brotherly love?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Here is my take on it.<br />Everyones religion is like TV to me.<br />If I don't want to watch a channel, I turn it.<br />If I don't want to listen to you preach your religion, I don't listen and walk away. <br />Everyone has the right to spread their beliefs as well as everyone has the right not to listen. I don't hold offense to anyone who feels strongly about their religion and wants to share it with the world. Just be mindful to those who don't want to listen or even to those who don't care. I for one have never had a problem with anyones beliefs. By speaking and listening to people with different religions it has helped me understand them better. <br />Hope it works out for you jtexas.

Carphunter

Commander

Part of the Christian faith is sharing what we believe. As a Christian, God does not want us to keep it to ourselves, so the Bible says. That doesn't mean i'll be going door to door trying to convert people, but it does mean I will share my faith with whomever will listen. Hopefully, in the process, I can convert some people to Christianity. I don't "force" my religion on anybody, but I will be the first one to share my religion with anyone.<br /><br />If you consider yourself a Christian, then it is your duty to "share", not "force" your religion on those that are in need.<br /><br />Just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> Christian symbols work for me.<br /><br />Can't beat Hitler's Wehrmacht with "Gott mit uns" ["God is with us'} on their belt buckles. Fully approved by the local churches (admittedly thinned a bit by political winnowing, but who cares if the state interferes with the churches?) whose padres blessed the soldiers wearing them before going into righteuous battle against the Allies. Who oddly enough had their own padres, often Lutheran and predominantly Protestant just like the Germans, blessing them before the same battles and exhorting them to kill the soldiers on the other side whose belt buckles put God on their side. Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out?<br /><br />I always liked the car stickers that said "Christians aren't perfect, just saved". How's that for true Christian humility?<br /><br />Not to mention the grand examples of truly Christian charity in all the major Christian churches which have been abysmal beyond belief in handling the claims of people abused by their clerics and other officials.<br /><br />In case it's thought that I'm a minor anti-Christ, I find aspects of Judaism and Islam even more objectionable. Especially when bound up with the states which support them. Like Israel. Saudi Arabia. Afghanistan. Pakistan. Syria. Libya. All of which profess to be to a greater or lesser extent implements of their god on this planet in protecting their chosen people and doing their god's will. Which usually involves suppressing, torturing and killing the people who oppose the governments which God apparently put in place in these countries. Since the last one He put in place there.<br /><br />If God exists, he certainly has a cosmic sense of humour. Who else could have inspired, in order, Jews, Christians and Muslims to worship the same God? And who but the world's greatest practical joker could have given the three major religions Jerusalem as one of the supposed sources of their religion to fight over for thousands of years, in the past and forever into the future as long as that silly creature of God, called man, carries out His injunctions to peace, harmony and brotherly love?
You may view me as so much "Purina Lion Chow", and that is your right. But as Christians, God doesn't say we have to trust that opinion, or share that twisted view. And don't forget who went to Hitler's ovens along with Jews...Catholics, Jehova's Whitnesses, et al. Because he made a fancy belt buckle professing his suposed faith does not excuse him from the human race. His actions (his inhumanity to man) did that,relegating his name to the top of the evil list with. (in my firm, steadfast belief), that he shares a warm place with Uday and Kusay Husein and Satan.<br />And BTW,God bless America.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Tink, you're thinking my thoughts...<br />It's rather ironic how many people have died over their own interpretation of "hey, let's all be NICE to each other!"<br />Surely that concept doesn't need churches,prayers,zealots murderers and bigots to inforce it?<br /><br /><br />Incidentally I find in my MANY hours on the road, cars with the christian fish on the back rate amongst the highest for driving blindly along staring blankly at the road ahead with no apparent view of what's going on around them. Alongside that goes anything with any other kind of religious paraphanalia from any religion on open display.<br /><br />Maybe Jesus DID die for your sins, but for *insert deity of choice*'s sake...<br /><br />GET OVER IT.<br /><br /><br />I apologise if I have offended anyone by this rant. It's not meant to.<br /> It just happens to be the way I see things.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I think most of the regulars know where I stand.. Not gonna re-hash it.. No need..<br /><br />Ya know, the little things don't bug me at all.. The fishey on the bumper, the cross on a desk, are fine by me.. That who the person is.. The polite "bless you" when ya sneeze, or the "have a blessed day" greeting/salutation, ect. ect.... That kinda stuff's all good with me, thanks for the good vibes, and back at ya with sugar on top... :) <br /><br />
26.gif
<br />But the butt-pipe that comes up to me in the parking lot tellin' me how Jesus died for my sins, or the JW who's tresspassing and beatin on my door is gonna get an ear full, at the very least...... :mad: Oh, and that church litter-ature they stick in my fence, most of which I can't even read cause it in spanish... GRRRRRRRRRRRR..<br /><br />Think i'm gonna make me a sign....<br />"We shoot every third jesus freak, and the second one just left".... ;) Put it in spanish too... :mad:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Be extremely careful there Snapper, you might get yourself arrested for excercising your rights to free speech :eek: :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Just had the pleasure to meet two women at my front door on Saturday that were JW's..<br /><br />They masked their adjenda with 'energy usage' literature.<br /><br />*get this*<br /><br />They stood there blabbering in my OPEN DOORWAY with 32* temp outside... :mad: :mad: <br /><br />I politely excused myself to the house and shut the door while 'flap jaw' was still goin'.<br /><br />shoulda let the dogs go out :rolleyes:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I ordered and received a replacement motor and pump assy for dishwasher a year or so ago. It was a genuine GE part in a GE box from a GE online retailer. When I opened the box I was surprised to find religous materials inside with the motor. <br /><br />I called GE and told them that I don't need them telling me what religion I should subscribe to. They indicated that they didn't put it in there, that the retailer did. They have no control over what the retailer does with their product after he buys it from them. They appologized that it happened.<br /><br />I didn't bother to complain to the guy who put it in there. I just decided not to order from him again. He has lost out on two subsequent appliance parts orders I made through a different retailer. One that didn't quote scripture on their website. <br /><br />My religion is my business and nobody had better tell me it's the wrong one.

PW2

Commander

I'm really glad at least some of you seem to understand the concept of those of us "liberals" that object to school prayers and the displays the ten commandments in courthouses, etc.<br /><br />It is *NOT* that we are anti-religion in any way, and we like the private display of any religious material you prefer, including such things as Jesus fish and the like. It is your free speech right.<br /><br />It is, however, wrong when the government officially sanctions one point of view at the expense of another's.<br /><br />Again it is refreshing to know that some of you at least understand the concept of freedom from oppression.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

" lord bless this thine holy handgrenade so it may blow your enemies to smithereens". I always love that line. its so appropriate.<br />no where in the bible did I read about its ok to kill in the name of christ. whats funny is the amount of killing the "cult" of christianity has done in the name of a non-violent god the strictly forbids killing.<br /> but I guess since most all kill in the name of their god its s self canceling Null.<br /> goes back to my new rules of war. first wave is all the politicians and their families, second wave is all the clergy and their families. if the war is still worth fighting Ill load my rifle but in the mean time I have other things to do. but I warrenty wars will be fought a lot less. yes I am religous but I tend not to say much but let my actions speak. its difficult to subscribe to a religion where a political leader says a prayer to his god just before killing thousands of civilians and innocents over some oil. its just not for me.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

rodbolt<br /><br />As the great post-modern philosopher John Cleese said, "Christianity was alright until the churches got hold of it".<br /><br />For everyone else:<br /><br />The new testament, which covers Christ's teaching, is largely a book of love, charity, hope and redemption. The old testament is largely one of vengeance, fire and brimstone etc. With just a touch of ancient learned commonsense thrown in, like avoiding pork because it is dangerous if you don't prepare it properly. <br /><br />So now we have the modern stupidity that in a seriously observant Jewish home there are two kitchens to separate meat and dairy from the rest. Which of course everyone would have had in 2,000 BC or 50 AD when the local Home Depot, WalMart or whatever was selling MDF benches and doors, fake marble benchtops, ceramic stove tops, chrome tapsets and stainless steel sinks at prices which the average seriously Orthodox labourer could easily afford, even if they weren't going to be invented for another few thousand years.<br /><br />Whether you want to accept even the new testament as accurate given the Greek translations etc of it a few centuries after the event is a different matter. <br /><br />There's not a Christian on the planet who accepts the bible in its entirety. Unless there's someone who, for example, complies with the injunctions on uncleanliness in Leviticus. Although, funnily enough, those terrible Muslims tend to take such matters more seriously as their tradition accepts both the old and new testaments as interpreted by their prophet, Mohammed. Surely they're not more Christian than the Christians? That would really #@%& up both the Muslims and the Christians!<br /><br />I could possibly be what is currently called a Christian if Christians espoused the virtues Christ preached. But apparently my understanding of those virtues is deficient and should incorporate the old testament stuff to justify pointless vengeance for every perceived misdeed rather than my misplaced belief that Christ preached that no sinner is beyond redemption and that forgiveness is one of the greatest virtues.<br /><br />My natural reaction to horrible crimes is to want harsh punishment for the offender. But having worked with some of these people over the years the fact is that many of them were doomed before they left the womb and were treated worse than their victims for their first fifteen years or so. Executing or imprisoning them is just punishing another powerless victim. Proper outrage should be directed at the parents who (mis)raised them. Except they're usually in the same boat. <br /><br />And no, I'm not advocating letting people off for bad actions. I'm just inviting Christians to tell me why it is that Christ advocated for Mary Magdalene and chose to be crucified with criminals, which apparently were heroic acts of great symbolism, when modern noisy Christians want to kill or imprison people who are the modern versions of those whom Christ protected and sought to redeem.<br /><br />Seems to me that the only way to break the cycle of misery and misfortune is to stop condemning the victims in the old testament way and to try to redeem them under Christ's teaching. Funny thing is, every time I say this to a committed Christian they tell me I'm full of sh!t and need to get a grip on reality because these people are worthless pond scum who don't merit any concern. <br /><br />And there I was thinking that Christ had a different view, and wondering why the Christians condemn me for rejecting their path to heaven.<br /><br />Lucky for me I'm not a Christian or even religious, or I'd be really upset by the hypocrisy and cant from people who are.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> " lord bless this thine holy handgrenade so it may blow your enemies to smithereens". I always love that line. its so appropriate.<br />no where in the bible did I read about its ok to kill in the name of christ. whats funny is the amount of killing the "cult" of christianity has done in the name of a non-violent god the strictly forbids killing.
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!<br />Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....<br />Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....<br />Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...<br />and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....<br />Our four... no...<br />Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...<br />are such elements as fear, surprise..."