hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

the 69 srv 190 was a closed bow boat

due to the amount of freeboard the designers wanted....the gas tank was put up in the bow.......in stead of saddle tanks (each side of the motor...or in deck ones.....just foward of the motor but down in the deck)....there was only 4 ins clearance in the orig design from the stringer top to the hull. hence, the forward tank design

...... the raised part with the shiney thing on it....the shiney thing is/ was the gas tank.....

the portion of lift space under the tank and above the deck....was waisted space.......ill be putting the batteries up there. and other crutial items that dont need to be in the aft area......the weight of the big motor will pull the aft area down and the nose up high.

btw.....hows your open bow conversion goin andy?

i386

Captain

I think there's room to add a bowling lane now.:)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....nother update......we left off when i had finished glassing some bulkheads.

when i left i just put them on waxed paper.......well.....someone came into the shop and kicked them.....

it took a hammer and chisel to get them off the chip board.

deckingset1017.jpg

these wernt even pressed on....just sitting there. the wood failed before the poly bond to the wood.

with the bulkheads glassed for water proofing....it was time to start on the coolers.....

i had tryed cutting tupperware...and all kinds of things....but in the end.....making one outta wood and glass was the best bet.....

deckingset1019.jpg

the idea here is to make a box that can fit between the stringers....one each side.....then construct a smaller box to go inside it....the lip between the two will be the hatch support.....and the inner box will be the cooler and the space between the two is the insulating foam...

deckingset1020.jpg

this is one of the outer boxes compleated.....there was not one cut that was squair.....this job was a real pita.....

deckingset1021.jpg

it was mostly cut to fit...and re fit..each peice......but finally i got both outer boxes done.

deckingset1022.jpg

then it was cut and fit the inner boxes.....and after much putzin around.....

deckingset1023.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the braces in the middle of the inner boxes are just there temporarily to brace the box from the expansion of the foam insulation

man that foam gook is messy

deckingset1026.jpg

but finally it expanded enough to do what i needed it to do

deckingset1027.jpg

with all that taken care of....it was time to start glassing......

oops sr. was a big help yesterday, and it was a great father and son day.....here he was cutting the 36 peices of fiberglass needed to tab in the bulkheads.

deckingset1030.jpg

in the mean time i was glassing the bottom of the frames, and the boxes, as well as the gas tank support.

deckingset1029.jpg

we started to loose the light.

deckingset1028.jpg

oops sr. had to go as i was climbing out of the boat i ripped my best new suit...!

deckingset1033.jpg

a quick duct tape later and i was back in action !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after the box was glassed i took it in for a last fitting......

as uasual....it didnt fit correctly

deckingset1034.jpg

the foam expanded in the bottom of the box.....(i was careful not to over foam it)

deckingset1035.jpg

so i took the jig saw to seperation area pictured above and cut out some of the foam.......then the circ saw to the top and evened out the top

i had some gellcoat that was pre mixed for the hull application....but it had not yet gotten its caytelist....it was going to waste....so i used it !

deckingset1036.jpg

gell coated the entire thing !

deckingset1037.jpg

im not looking for any awards for pretty here as the boxes will be in the floor....and the only thing that anyone will see is the inside.....ill sand those smooth later.....

it was getting cold out....so the mix took over an hour to harden.....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ive had 10 or 15 requests in pm to see the doghouse i built a few years back.....

i finally got around to getting pics...
its really dusty as its being used as a step to get in the boat now

deckingset1040.jpg

this is an exact copy of the orig one.

deckingset1041.jpg

the top slides open...via alum slides

deckingset1042.jpg

this was a really good soundproofed motor cover.
i was really happy with it.....but with the new sunpad coming in....its not going to be used

danm2a2

Cadet

Oops, what a job you are doing! Really starting to motivate me to finally get my 1975 Cobalt 17' w/ 165hp i/o Mercruiser re-floored and into the water. I've yet to get it to my buddies shop but that will happen soon as the weather is really changing and getting a little cool. Keep the great pics and descriptions coming as it is a joy to see you and your progress. Keep working and best of luck! :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

done !

let me know if you got it....if not its in your pm's

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it's really lookin good oops. when are the water trials?

jcsercsa

Captain

hay buddie , she is getting there !! your going to put a drain in the boxs right ?? John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it's really lookin good oops. when are the water trials?

soon.....i figgure i need a week between the time t plate is cut, and the motor is installed.....the t plate could be cut at any time.

hay buddie , she is getting there !! your going to put a drain in the boxs right ?? John

i went to the local home store....(rona......formerly called revy....short for revelstoke lumber.....revelstoke is where i go sledding in the winter....so its kinda cool the big chain started there).....i got two small sink drains.....and a ton of pvc......they will have a plug just like a cheap sink....and drain directaly to the bilge......(no point in letting water splash around in the bilge channels)......i would have had it installed tonight....but when i got to the boat yard, it was locked up tight and dark.....they changed the locks because of internal security issues, and i havent gotten mine yet cause they are allways there.....cept tonight :(

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw....bubba has been doing some fantastic work on the instrumentation package

jcsercsa

Captain

btw....bubba has been doing some fantastic work on the instrumentation package

too cool buddie I was wondering what you where doing there !!
I am off fishing here as soon as the girls leave for school !! just thought i would rub that in !! lol john

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ya know bubba.....that thing is just shy of a full blown simulator

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Oops, so are there gonna be some pics on the instrumental panel being posted soon? Sounds like you and Bubba got an awesome design going. We're all waiting to see.

jcsercsa

Captain

Yer making me blush Opps. If anyone else would like to see what we are up to leave a messsage.

ME ME ME ME ME I want to know !!! Pick MEE MEE MEE lol John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Yup, is getting close to it anyhow, just needs a few more widgets. :) I'm working on the depth gauge and a couple other things to improve what we have. I meant to ask, what sort of screen resolution are you currently running? (800 x 600, 1024 x 746, etc.?)

Now the question is, what other sort of goodies do we want to include? Hmm, temperature read out of the beer cooler with an alarm? :D

I was also thinking... You know the video camera for the day/night vision? I can set it up so you could record anything it displays. Just a thought.

Oh, I amost forgot, it needs a trim indicator, yes?

as far as resolution.....i have no idea :confused:

im still thinking on the goodies......
there will be two blowers in it.....one for...one aft....and also lots of interior lighting....one red...one white.
...and yes a trim......
the night vision is really cool ....as a lot of the boating i do is at night......

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops, so are there gonna be some pics on the instrumental panel being posted soon? Sounds like you and Bubba got an awesome design going. We're all waiting to see.

the instrument panel he is working on is a computer screen.....

so as far as the interior look....all a person would see is a monitor.

the actual design of the panel is still up for grabs and i wont have an idea what that looks like until i decide what is going in there.....i still want a anoloug fail safe....but the automated system is solving a lot of problems...and might be cheaper in the long run. so there might be both.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

man.....i must be crazy.......i didnt get to the boat last night, cause the place was all locked up......

well today im sitting at work....its dead....really windy out side......i put a back in 5 sign on the door and ran over to the shop......grabbed the coolers and a sander.....briught them to the shop.....and im gonna start working on them in the store ! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.