hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

lol....hi guys....im here....all the time.....i check in lots....

there is nothing happening on the big boat .....right now....

BUT......i may as well mention it....as i have alluded to it in other posts......

i am seriously thinking of stepping the hull this winter.
one problem with the hull......is that the deep hard chines i added cause the boat to hit the water....harder than i like.

it rides fantastic.....but the water is trapped between the chines and not gently pushed away and causes a little harder ride than i want.

stepping the hull will add breaks in the chines...allow a softer hull land coming off larger wakes...and give the boat added "lift" in the water at speed.

with what i know now......and all the work i have been doing on customers boats, to me....this is an easy task.

....cut the rear of the deck out .measure the steps..cut the hull.....glass it ....replace the deck......flip the hull....fair it....gellcoat it....done.
i will be using using the oke mannerfelt design as a model (vector bat boats is here in the valley this is the racing version of the mannerfelt design triple stepped hull)) (the owner of the company is an acquaintance of mine and will let me take measurements).

HB907_RS_VTRB_0025.jpg

i wish i had pictures of the hull....but you might recognise the design from the discovery channel.

HB907_DS_SPBR_0051.jpg

in the above pic....you can see two of the three steps in the hull..
this is the design that caused the stepped hull design wave that has made mfgrs to change their hull designs.

this is all pending on when i am getting my shop back....i expect to hear any day now for the beginning of december.

the stepping wont take that much time....less than 3 weeks, after that....its just finish the interior and add the logos....and stroke the motor :eek::D

however.....everything depends on the new business. but all looks good in that department, as test samples look very good.

by the way.........if you are in a cooler climate.....and boat early spring and fall........I HIGHLY SUGGEST you add a heater.......wow......what a difference....15 degrees outside...(about 60) and we are as warm as toast....even at speed.

im being called to the hunny do list.....ill be back later and post some great late fall boating pics on the big boat....

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Really interested in the resin and gel you talked about. Why is it not for boats? have you contacted the manufacture?

ill get the pics of the gell and resin that i am using for my business.....it is really cool stuff....

clear gellcoat......and marble clear resin
you could use it for boats.....but cost prohibitive.
the clear gellcoat is sometimes used as a base for adding pigment to colored gellcoat.......such as brilliant white and some of the reds.

redfury

Commander

So the "thing" you were talking about earlier is happening then? Very cool. Can't wait to hear about the "mystery".

I said it once, I'll say it again Ward...you are a beast. If my hull looked like yours right now, the LAST thing I would think about doing is touching it with a grinder. I'm struggling just to get the hull SANDED, much less take care of the bodywork aspect of it to make it smooth and silky. ( damn carpal tunnel )

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....i just rebuilt another jetflea.

it was caught under a dock......parts of it were gone.

(the guy that buys these boats and sub contracts me the glass gell work.....buys storm/insurance write offs)

i sanded that boat by hand till my arms fell off.
we painted this one as opposed to gelling it (again...iv was viper red and the owner did not want to buy another bad batch of gellcoat.....(the last batch would not go off...24 full hours under the lights @ 2.5% mekp and 75 degrees....and i wiped it off with a towel the next day)

however......it came out perfect.......absolutely perfect.
the owner was grinning from ear to ear.
i saw it today, after yesterdays paint shoot....and it even surprised me.

if i was there mike..id whip over and help ya !...
lol....johnny has a few days holidays comin after hunting season....lol

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here we go again... only 3 weeks... oops! time. You know the world is ending in 2012 don't you? or is that what you're counting on...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Here we go again... only 3 weeks... oops! time. You know the world is ending in 2012 don't you? or is that what you're counting on...

lol......you will be waterskiing on it long before that !
man....that boat runs like a charm....we boated at 5 mph all the way to gelattley bay then across the lake and back.
was fantastic......she has the camera right mow so i couldnt get the card out of the camera to up load the pics....but ill have them on soon....while you are freezing in alberta we will still be boating this weekend !....lol

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Who was that ghost man could it have been OPPS! Cost isnt much concern for the old tub I have that in mind for. I have owned her for 20 years and really need to get back to loving on it. When I get started I don't care what it cost me to get it looking perfect and staying that way. My tub is metal flaked that is why I am so interested in the clear gel.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the marble blear is avalable from comp 1. it will be a special order item. it has to come from kansas city.

i have been spraying glass molds with it........it comes out clear ! kinda like a clear paint....but used in a thicker boat application i think it would be kinda translucent......ill shoot a small section at 50 mill.....then take it down to 35 with sand paper and see what it does.......what color is going to be the base under the clear?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

black base followed by red polyflake then cler

docrodg

Cadet

OMG!!! Just read thru this in 2 days. New member, and have a new boat (been way too long since even touching a boat... like 20 years or so). Have some repairing to do and other odds and ends. Planned on asking some questions on these forums later when I have finished studying and getting all the info I can (yes, Virginia, there is a search function).

What I have learned thus far:

1. Ooops is a mad-man for working on that boat without getting seriously depressed.
2. Anything can be done on a glass hull, in fact, it may be easier than a wood one in some respects.
3. Peanut Butter is not just for eating.
4. The iboats forums are awesome, just like Pelican Parts forums for 911s.
5. If working on a project don't lose your camera cord or you will suffer wrath.
6. Sportcraft boats are rare, making me seriously stoked about fixing up my cheapy find.
7. My boat is HEAVY!
8. There are many ways to make it look good, and all have merit, it is finding out from many experts and a little inspiration (sponsored by beer) that ll things get tackled.
9. I need more beer to get this job done.
10. The only things more expensive than fixing up a boat is the beer tab and fixing a classic Porsche.

Ooops... great job man! Especially sticking thru the tough times and getting/looking for good advice rather than just winging it! If I am ever around that area I want to see it!

redfury

Commander

I think there is a reason why nobody has inquired to the $$ side of the beer tab when he was building the boat....that would have been the only depressing part of it, if there was something to get depressed about.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I think there is a reason why nobody has inquired to the $$ side of the beer tab when he was building the boat....that would have been the only depressing part of it, if there was something to get depressed about.

lol.......why be depressed about drinking beer :D

just an update on whats going on.....i have been fixing a lot of badily damaged boats lately.....been repairing keels and re gellcoating them.....laying on my back under a hull with a grinder and a long board....:eek:

i am currently re keeling an 05 bayliner that went down in a storm...it was an insurance write off. after i get done with it it will be better than new.

i am beginning to become a fan of bayliner (for the buck) but there was serious quality issues with this one....man...another few seconds of work at the factory and it would have withstood the storm....but as it is....it de lamed at the bulkheads and the bulkheads went thru the hull.

any hoo......
looks like there is a possibility of another shop coming open soon......can t wait to get back on MY boat once in a while.....i am really looking forward to stepping the hull.

cheers
oops

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Good to hear from you OPPS. Ever thought about just building your own mold so you could just lay up as many boats as you wish? You could then build the exact boat you want and not modify what is currently available. Hope you have plenty of work and enough free time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes i have shade tree,.....but even with a new mold you still have to test what comes out !

i plan on fine tuning this boat till it is exactally how i want it.
and it is sooooooo close now....you should feel it...strong as a bull under you and when it hit plane....it seems to jump out of the water....
i have driven a lot of newer boats and they dont feel like this old hull does.

i just built the chines jussst a liiiiittle too hard.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I just kind of hate to see the old girl go under the knife again. And I want to see update pics. Totally forgot about testing. :( I think its more update pics.

sprintst

Commander

Woking working always working :)

Been following on some of your other work too.

Any deals on Lake Kalamalka that you know of...like I can afford it anyways :)

Friscoboater

Captain

lol....hi guys....im here....all the time.....i check in lots....

there is nothing happening on the big boat .....right now....

BUT......i may as well mention it....as i have alluded to it in other posts......

i am seriously thinking of stepping the hull this winter.
one problem with the hull......is that the deep hard chines i added cause the boat to hit the water....harder than i like.

it rides fantastic.....but the water is trapped between the chines and not gently pushed away and causes a little harder ride than i want.

stepping the hull will add breaks in the chines...allow a softer hull land coming off larger wakes...and give the boat added "lift" in the water at speed.

with what i know now......and all the work i have been doing on customers boats, to me....this is an easy task.

....cut the rear of the deck out .measure the steps..cut the hull.....glass it ....replace the deck......flip the hull....fair it....gellcoat it....done.
i will be using using the oke mannerfelt design as a model (vector bat boats is here in the valley this is the racing version of the mannerfelt design triple stepped hull)) (the owner of the company is an acquaintance of mine and will let me take measurements).

HB907_RS_VTRB_0025.jpg

i wish i had pictures of the hull....but you might recognise the design from the discovery channel.

HB907_DS_SPBR_0051.jpg

in the above pic....you can see two of the three steps in the hull..
this is the design that caused the stepped hull design wave that has made mfgrs to change their hull designs.

this is all pending on when i am getting my shop back....i expect to hear any day now for the beginning of december.

the stepping wont take that much time....less than 3 weeks, after that....its just finish the interior and add the logos....and stroke the motor :eek::D

however.....everything depends on the new business. but all looks good in that department, as test samples look very good.

by the way.........if you are in a cooler climate.....and boat early spring and fall........I HIGHLY SUGGEST you add a heater.......wow......what a difference....15 degrees outside...(about 60) and we are as warm as toast....even at speed.

im being called to the hunny do list.....ill be back later and post some great late fall boating pics on the big boat....

cheers
oops

Here is a link that shows the steps

http://www.vectorpowerboats.com/Downloads_files/31609_eprint.pdf

EJ42955

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Oops, took me awhile but I read most of this thread. Really gets my juices flowing, and anxious to do something on my freebie. But, I have no warm place to work, no extra $$, and little time to spend on another hobby (that will change though.)

Any updates to share?

EJ

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hey Oops, took me awhile but I read most of this thread. Really gets my juices flowing, and anxious to do something on my freebie. But, I have no warm place to work, no extra $$, and little time to spend on another hobby (that will change though.)

Any updates to share?

EJ

the boat is still under winter cover till i open the new shop....shouldnt be long now till it opens.

im still thinking of stepping the hull....i must be crazy.

in the mean time i have been fixing badily damaged insurance write off boats.....you call them " 'cane boats"
damage so bad in some that huge parts of the hull just arent there any more......nothin but a hole that you can see the stringers and foam thru.
been pumping out one every 2 1/2 weeks on average.
grinding and glassing my arms off !....oh joy !:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.