hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Just found this while looking for something else... $2492.75C for a brand new Alpha 1 Gen 2 pick your ratio leg...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/2009-Alpha-1-Gen-2-Outdrive-Leg-COMPLETE-Upper-Lower-/350281849620

They are in Royal Oak MI, not sure about dutys on import, but I am sure they should be able to answer that...

FWIW I am running a 1.62 leg on my 350 MPI and top out over 70 with a 23P 3 blade but I only have 20 foot of boat at just under 3000 lbs.. and the speed was with 7 people and a full load of gas...

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Coastal, We don't need the layout we need someone that can sew straight! HaHa Do you work CHEAP?? Preferably for BEER? Been a while since any of us been to the Island we have long time friends there and it would be a good excuse to hang out for a bit. If it wasn't so friggen expensive for the ferry we could bring the canoe and throw it in the chuck for a cruise on the big water. If all goes well we might have a 1.5 upper bought by the weekend.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I was just the framer for the upholstery shop then after that went into furniture and cabinets
Here is a link to some of my recent projects http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt278/northvanartisan/big island furniture/
actually looking to start my own shop.

We had seamstress to do the sewing. If you do come out to the island give me the heads up and if you bring some soda pops we can do some fishing. :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well.....time for a qiuck up date.....

i have been running around trying to get supplies for the interior.

i still need foam....piping. and a sewing machine.!.....im still looking for a good one.

BUT ....i may have scored on the viynal...

$32 a yard marine material that feels like buttersoft leather......for 5 bux a yard !....rolls only.

the guy has tons.....in all colors....he doesnt have the gold i want....but he has two of the colors.......and......he has black sunbrella material for the travel tarp......also the clear plastic for the rain cover....

all really cheap.......if any one needs some stuff.....pm me and ill give you the link.....and yes he will ship.!

im on my way to the shop right now to clean up and install the fabbed interior parts.

ill still be getting materials for the big boat interior for a while....
i have been finalizing some designs on the color scheme....and have some pretty cool ideas.

all along i have had a general idea of what i wanted for the interior color scheme......but nothing really specific ......so now it comes time for the details......

redfury has been instrmental in helping with that. and with his help i think i may have come up with a winner for the interior.....(break open the lock on that oops file bud!)

(one of the colors is darker.....that means burned tushies, :eek: so i am trying to minimalize the use of that. but the color is important in the design).

one of the things i have to to is a quickie rebuild on the bayliner.
the sales season is here, and the bilge-liner needs to be gutted and foamed...so im going to try to do that one in record time....ill start a different thread on it soon.
that thread will have lots of little stuff on keel repairs...gellcoat repairs.....as well as a deck and foam repair......him hoping to get away with out doing the transom.....but i really doubt that its solid.

well off to the shop......

cheers
oops

chrisdors

Seaman Apprentice

just killed most of my day at work today reading this thread- awesome work! i am really amazed with the size of the project and how you never seemed to lose momentum while working on it. very impressive!

NoKlu

You're on Coastal. It's gonna be funny to see if oops! can sew a straight seam. Good thing he's found cheap vinyl!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Coastal, We don't need the layout we need someone that can sew straight! HaHa Do you work CHEAP?? Preferably for BEER? Been a while since any of us been to the Island we have long time friends there and it would be a good excuse to hang out for a bit. If it wasn't so friggen expensive for the ferry we could bring the canoe and throw it in the chuck for a cruise on the big water. If all goes well we might have a 1.5 upper bought by the weekend.

how many seats do you need sewn? with or without welting?

redfury

Commander

I guess it's a good thing that I got Photoshop back up and running on my system. I think it was non functional ( or used for that matter ) for over a year....new HDD was the cure for that!

Sew straight? Why would he want to sew a straight line....the curvy interiors are all the rage now!:p

NoKlu

He's still playing with the layout so we have no idea what's all involved yet. He has some car seats he's gonna recover in marine vinyl first then it's on to the benches. The car seats will be easy because we can copy the old pattern with the vinyl and sew them together. Short seams, not to many straight ones. The benches will be harder. Long straight seams. I can guarantee every time he takes a pull off a corona there will be a wobble in the seam.:D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

instead of a single long bench seat down the sides, try multiple smaller seats up against each other.

similar to this, but with extra seats to make the sides longer

0324000034.jpg

the seat bottoms can also be hinged so they can fold down out of the way when you need the extra floor space...or just fold down some of them.
for folding legs, i'm using the legs from those long folding banquet tables

NoKlu

WOOHOO I just got a used upper unit with 1.47 gears and a warranty for $363. It should be here in about 10 days. oops! should get more than that for his on CL.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....i was just gonna post about the gears.....

i cant wait to see what it does....the prop will be the key......a 19.....or a 23 ?????. the difference will be huge.

as far as the interior.....

i still havent decided how many cushions will be used for the back rests and the seats...

the big thing is that the back rests will be able to go in the center area.....making a huge sleeping surface....(the size of a king bed)

the seat cushions will be removable for storage under the long benches.

i have come up with a really cool look to it. and it will just require minor glassing and covering....

im starting to get to where the theme is coming into play....so i cant say too much.

i have started to re fit the interior into the boat...ill be cutting the sunpad tonight. and also cutting out the fishing rod wells.

the boat is close to being done....its just an interior job now.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

oops!,
You have really come a long way and I'm looking forward to seeing the you put the finishing touches on her.
Looks like a great boat.
Well Done.
Bob

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks bob.

i just cant beleive that darn things just about done.

i mean ....if i want to go boating...i can just put it in the water and go !...
it has been a long road.

as soon as i get the sewing machine....im hoping to have it done within a month.

that means the boat will be ready for the july 1st weekend......lol...just 2 years short of the target

redfury

Commander

Hey, 2 years short of the target is better than never reaching it because you gave up or the boat sank, now isn't it :p:D I wish I had your drive to get things done.

The mind is willing, the body says " are you kidding?!"

NoKlu

2 years short of the target??? Don't you mean PAST the target??? Why the king bed? Why not just a kicker to get you back to shore?:D

fishrdan

Admiral

the big thing is that the back rests will be able to go in the center area.....making a huge sleeping surface....(the size of a king bed)

I did the same thing in my old SeaSwirl, take the cushions and make a bed out of them on the deck, worked great!

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops! I heard this and immediately thought of your boat with the heater.

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.:D

Glad you went with the heater and not straight fire. Still enjoying your thread. Keep up the good work. I'm learning lots while I search for my first boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops! I heard this and immediately thought of your boat with the heater.

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.:D

LOL
Glad you went with the heater and not straight fire. Still enjoying your thread. Keep up the good work. I'm learning lots while I search for my first boat.

i got a bayliner ill sell ya cheap.:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....so here is where i am at.......

still no sewing machine.....so the bulk of the work has to wait.

i have been working on the interior....re fitting everything.

tonight i added carpet to the sides of the hull in the motor compartment. i found a really cheap rubber-backed piece of carpet at home depot.

the reason for the carpet is to dampen the sound.
i also added the same carpet to the motor side of the bulkhead between the interior fiberglass and the motor.
this is just cheap indoor carpet...i dont really care if it gets wet and disintegerates....i just want it to deadden the motor noise.

i also rough cut the sun pad. its cut out of 5/8ths ply....
i want to add stiffness ot the wood.....so i want to glass the top side with 2 layers of 1.5 csm and a 6oz finishing cloth.....
but some how my roll of csm has dissapeared. :eek::(
im going to have to wait till monday before i glass it to add the stiffness.

i might also have to "can" the armrests i glassed earlyer....the seats are too close to the gunwhales and the seats and fiberglass parts are in conflict.....i might be able to just cut some of the glass out and re shape them, but only the measuring tape will tell.

i am just re touching redfurys design of the logo of the boat...(we just did rough designs.....but they were sooooo close:) !) after they are done i will order the stencils for the interior and exterior.

tommorow i will try to move forward in the interior work.....however i have decided to work from aft to bow. so i need a few things to cure before i move forward in the vessel.

i may also have to cut out the firward "hidden" beer cooler......the seats just wont allow it.....and even if they did .....it would be a pita. i might have to rip it out and re design it. this would make more sence and would allow the seats full size base.

well....
cheers for now
oops

i still cant beleive im working on the interior

Status
Not open for further replies.