Hey Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspeck

Staff member
Hey newbies..... Only way to fix a freeze busted block is a new motor
Really???? Didn't I hear someone say somewhere that JBWeld worked great on sealing busted blocks? Just smear it on and let it sit for a while as it soaks into the crack? I thought for sure I heard a reputable mechanic say that sometime ... maybe it was in my sleep after eating a whole pizza after midnight?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
JB weld has its place, however its not fixing cracked blocks

dwco5051

Commander
Really???? Didn't I hear someone say somewhere that JBWeld worked great on sealing busted blocks? Just smear it on and let it sit for a while as it soaks into the crack? I thought for sure I heard a reputable mechanic say that sometime ... maybe it was in my sleep after eating a whole pizza after midnight?
Back in 1972 I bought a ’69 Crownline with a Mercury 120 stern drive and froze it the first winter with about a 3 inch crack on the port side of the block. Sanded the paint off around the crack and patched over it with PC-7 epoxy. Ran the boat for about 4 more years and gave it to my Dad who kept it over at your old boss’s marina. He kept it there until about 1989 until he upsized and he returned it to me. It then went to a neighbor who had it for about a year or so until he sold it. Turn the clock forward about six or seven more years and one weekend day I am working at my home lake watching the no wake area under the causeway and lo and behold here comes the old Crownline putting through. Just had to stop the operator and have a talk about the boat. Once I convinced him that he wasn’t doing anything bad but that was my boat years ago I asked him if he had to do any work on it and if it was the original engine and all. He told me the only thing he ever did was replace the fuel pump a few years back. There always is an exception to the rule.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I did the same thing, jb'd the crack on the stb side on my 120. 5 years ago, still running strong.

MRS

Commander
Yes with the 120 merc. I also did the same thing sanded and opened the crack with a dremel jb weld it went strong for seven years. Gave to a nephew as far as I know still holding.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
hey newbies, just because the outside of the boat is shiny fiberglass doesnt mean the stringers and transom are not rotten

briangcc

Commander
Read the forum rules....no new post in 10yr old threads....especially if the OP hasn't been on since that time! Don't expect a response either :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Today is August 3, 2021 so that means that 90 days before today would be May 5, 2021.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies.....what you type " i just bought this xxxxxxx (insert old boat) and im a total noob, please help"

What we read "i spend all my time researching everything of insignificance except my latest purchase" now Im over my head because I bought a cheap boat

In reality, boating is an expensive hobby for those that understand working on their boat and do the work themselves. Its more expensive if you buy cheap and have to pay for re building the hull

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You guys think the boat noobs are bad here, the Starcraft FB page is littered with complete and utter know nothings that get hurt when you point out the flaws in their brainchild work.

So tell me what issues you think this fellow is going to have when he get's this on the water if he ever does?

wth.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
You guys think the boat noobs are bad here, the Starcraft FB page is littered with complete and utter know nothings that get hurt when you point out the flaws in their brainchild work.

So tell me what issues you think this fellow is going to have when he get's this on the water if he ever does?

View attachment 348540
Umm, yeah, that will work perfectly! o_O:eek:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander

View attachment 348540
That is unfortunate, but can I say hilarious? Was that too mean? Sorry....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I think this was mentioned...
The reference that the person is familiar with or considers him/herself to be a decent automotive mechanic.
It's true that some things are similar between automotive and marine engines, but they are more so (like they say), like apple's and oranges.

I'm into fish ponds. Koi, goldfish, shubunkin. I'm on a forum for ponding and we get a lot of people stating they come from the aquarium world. Although similar, there are many differences on keeping a healthy outdoor pond verses an indoor aquarium. There are things you do with an aquarium that you just don't do with a pond.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the Starcraft FB page is littered with complete and utter know nothings
Facetube is not limited to idiots on the Starcraft page only. the Merc inline group, the old truck groups, the barn find groups, etc. the best part is you give them sound advice, then after 4 days of watching comments while a bunch of other "experts" chime in, you can laugh for those 4 days until they come to the solution that you had given.

regarding the short shaft baby motor on an XL big-boy transom..... need I say more.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies....there is no shortcuts to winterizing.

Follow the manual

Status
Not open for further replies.