Hey Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
any boater that hasnt forgotten the drain plug at least once is lying...... I now have the word "drain plug" written on the transom tie downs to remind me.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
any boater that hasnt forgotten the drain plug at least once is lying...... I now have the word "drain plug" written on the transom tie downs to remind me.

Or the person hasn't been boating for long. I've done it once. Towed the boat 6 hours into northern central Ontario with my wife and nearly ruined my 60th birthday. Rented a cabin on lake Nipissing in Gods country. Luckily I got the boat to the shallow dock next to the cabin before it took on water. Having a spare plug on board sure saved what could have been disastrous. That boat never left that dock for 3 days and nights. My gift from my wife was a charter for Musky by one of the premier Musky guys in Canada. I put 3 in his 20 plus foot Spectrum with a 300 HP Merc hanging off the transom. He has more $$ tied up in electronics than my StarCraft is worth. That day made my total lifetime Musky count at 4.

Not sure if this is allowed here however if allowed the mans name is Dan Columby and he fishes what is referred to as "The West Arm" of Lake Nipissing in central Ontario if anyone wants to have a great day Musky fishing.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies........ no such thing as "a good deal on a boat"

many posts over the past few weeks of people getting 30-40 year old fiberglass boats and then coming to the forums for help.

We will help....

however please do research before you buy.....

seriously, if the boat you are looking at is older than your daily driver, you need to look at it seriously for issues. it may not be the "good deal" you thought of. It will also cost you way more money than you are prepared to spend

fiberglass boats or "tuperware" as they are called by many Europeans are designed to only last about 15 years and then be replaced.

in days of old, it was wood transoms, stringers and floors that rotted after about 15 years (5 if it was a bayliner). yes, Bayliners of the 80's and 90's were junk. there, I said it.

today its stringer tubs glued in with plexus..... that fatigues the glue joints which start to fail about 15 years of use.

in both cases, the vinyl upholstery will only last 15 years with maintenance (the actual vinyl fabric has a 7-8 year expectancy from the manufacturer) The plastic seat buckets of today will be broken after about 15 years

fuel system parts are only required to be around for 7 years after the last system is sold. many EFI parts are no longer available, or priced extremely high.

Boat windows are the most expensive pieces of glass you will ever come across. if the glass is curved, make sure you are sitting when you get the quote from Taylor Made Systems on a new piece.

this whole Covid-19 thing has people digging junk boats out of their back yard to sell since boating is the ultimate social distancing. I have noticed boats that have been sitting in the brush for the past decade hauled to the side yard with a for-sale sign as well as Facetube market place ads for boats with no titles

run, dont walk away, run away from older boats with signs of neglect

if the outdrive has holes rotted in it......run
if the boat on your test ride takes on 5 gallons of water.....run
if the boat you are looking at has OMC anything.......run
if the boat you are looking at has Ford anything.......run
if the boat you are looking at does not have a title/registration/Bill Of Sale........run

unless you are looking for projects......

if doing fiberglass work, engine work, drive work, plumbing, wiring, and upholstery are your passion, then boat restoration is your thing...... we are here to help....... buy that old boat. Or if you like restoring boats and really want a challenge, get that free boat.

free boats are the most expensive boats in the world. often costing more to fix than if you were to buy new.

if you dont like doing maintenance and you dont want to restore a boat, either buy new, or rent.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thought it was time to re-fresh this link.....

Hey Newbies, contrary to post #1 of this thread.....

in addition to pointing you in the right direction for you to do the research yourself and learn......sometimes we spoon feed you and take some of our own time to do the research and then give you a link to the exact answer you are looking for..... and in the next post you re-ask the same question........

we will look at you like you may have a mental issue or defect.....

its time to ask yourself....... should I take it to a certified mechanic.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies, if more than a half dozen well-seasoned people on this site tell you its a bad idea....... guess what.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
hey newbies....... there is a search function.

Krazeehorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to everyone. First post here. I've had several boats in my lifetime but I bought an old pontoon this fall. I haven't had it in the water yet. This spring when I figure out what I don't know I will start searching here. I'm suspicious of the the prop size and pitch but don't have any data to support my suspicions yet. Looks like I am going to install a tach to evaluate prop performance. Anyway, looking forward to making new virtual acquaintances here. Thanks for what looks like a nice place to dock. Kevin

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies........ look at the stickies. top of every forum are the answers to 98% of the questions you would have related to the forum.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies, the 3.0 has had many changes over the past 60 years, the 4.3 has had significantly more, the 5.0 and 5.7 are not far behind.

Saying help, my mercruiser 5.7 has issues is like saying, help, my Ford F150 has issues (there have been over 30 sub-models of Ford F150 over the past 50 years.)

Help us help you.......Please be very specific and list year, ignition, and induction. If not, be very specific with serial numbers

We are not carnac

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm really enjoying the posts that begin with "I'm a good mechanic, I just don't know about boats." Usually on the first page someone has to explain the whole air, fuel, compression and ignition part of engines. Changing the oil in your girlfriends Honda doesn't make you a mechanic. You can be honest, it's ok.

briangcc

Commander
Hey newbs....

If you don't have the paperwork for your boat/trailer and we tell ya to check with your registering authority (DMV, BMV, Dept Nat Resources, etc) perhaps you should stop arguing about what you can do and actually...you know...call them to find out what they LEGALLY require to do so. Better to go in person if you can.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey Newbies......read the rules.......... no posting in 13 year old threads.

briangcc

Commander
Hey Newbies....it's worth what some poor soul is willing to pay to haul your pride and joy off your property and take on your headache.

This is not the collector car scene where a 50+ year old diamond in the rough is going to fetch top dollar....unless you have a rare documented well sought after boat. Barrett Jackson doesn't translate here so step away from the TV.

Also..ran when last used.... Well Duh! You used it. But why was it parked? Why hasn't it been used since then? When was "last used"?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Also..ran when last used.... Well Duh! You used it. But why was it parked? Why hasn't it been used since then? When was "last used"?
it was parked because it had a serious problem.

it sat because someone deemed the problem too difficult or costly to fix.

it hasnt been fixed and the problem most likely is worse from sitting.

briangcc

Commander
Coulda been health issues or change in income which didn't allow taking it out. Never know....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hey newbies..... Only way to fix a freeze busted block is a new motor

Status
Not open for further replies.