Got kids? LOCK UP YOUR **** GUNS!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Got kids? LOCK UP YOUR **** GUNS!

Dear America (and DJ in particular),<br /><br />It appears you still don’t understand that a country that is not a mirror of yours can be happy and proud of it the way its people have decided they want it to be. You still think that your ways and values are not just the best, but the only way to do things, and you’re willing to invade, conquer and enforce until they ‘get it right’.<br /><br />I am referring specifically to your obsession with the false belief that if a country doesn’t reflect your gun laws (more to the point, lack of gun laws) then they are being repressed and have no freedoms. Let me tell you that the vast majority of Australians believe that we should have greater restrictions on gun ownership, not less! We have freedoms most Americans can only dream of. We have the freedom of walking into a drug store (we call them chemists and delicatessens) knowing that the next loonie (your Mr Reagan’s term) isn’t going to walk in and start shooting the place up. We have the freedom to go camping, talk to complete strangers who happen to be traveling along the same way, without the backdrop of firearms to ‘protect’ us. <br /><br />You talk of having firearms at home to protect you if someone were to break in. Every sane person knows that the likelihood of the weapon being taken from the home-owner and used against them is very high. <br /><br />Please understand we are NOT repressed, we have all the freedom we could possibly want. We WANT very strict gun restrictions, this is our choice and we thank you for NOT trying to tell us that we are being repressed and have no freedom because of that choice we have made. <br /><br />PLEASE STOP JUDGING US BY YOUR STANDARDS. I have many friends who watch TV programs produced in USA, and the general comment is something like, “Who’d want to live in USA with that amount violence?” I can only agree. <br /><br />Wake up and look around yourselves. Gun violence is out of control, your society is one of the most violent on the planet. Why? Because of the selfish attitude of a few idiots (read “NRA”) who think they are defending your freedoms. What they are really doing is condemning you to a society on the slide into anarchy. Why is it ok to shoot and kill somebody else on a freeway because they changed lanes too late? IT HAPPENS IN AMERICA every year. It has never happened in Australia! People are shot and killed, in America, for a $10 bill in their pocket. I walk through some of the parks in my city, at night and feel quite safe in the knowledge that some drunk or drug addict isn’t going to stick a gun in my face and try and rob me. Can you say that about your major cities? <br /><br />God may have blessed America, but S&W condemned it to he11.

24tesla

Seaman

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. <br />It does not matter if you believe in guns, or you do not. It does not matter if you are PRO gun, or major ANTI gun. You all need to learn the 10 saftey rules for Firearm Saftey, and teach your children this. My 3 year old is even learning the rules. She also knows that guns are not toys, and can hurt or kill someone. She understands that to die means you go to sleep forever and ever, the deceased does not see their Mommy, Daddy, friends, brothers, sisters, or any one any more. They cannot open their eyes ever again, so no toys, no TV, no video games. <br />I taught computer cert. classes. The students included 3 mothers that were ANTI gun, one that did not care for them but had no problem with other people owning them, and one PRO gun but did not own one due to having kids. The discussion came up about a small child dying due to an older sibling getting a gun they should not have had access to. The gun as usual was blamed. I stated that I blame the parents. This blew up into a full blown debate. Here is what followed. Of the 5 women 4 did not even let the children play with toy guns, 2 did not allow any movies that depicted guns (In their house, though admitted the children had seen numerous movies with guns at relatives or friends houses). None of these women had ever talked to the kids about guns except the fact that they are bad. My question was this. Say the kids do find a gun. Do they know how to handle it? Do they know the saftey rules? Which ones will be the first to try to Shot it? Most kids are curious, and besides, the heroes on TV and movies all shoot or get shot and they come back the next day in another movie or show. (We have to think like small children here. These are the same ones that think Scooby Doo is an awesome actor). Without knowledge of the RULES, will they handle it correctly? You cannot be 100% responsible for what your kids do, trust me, I have a 16yr old daughter, 15yr old son, and 3 yr old. I cannot know where they are at all times. But they all know the saftey rules of a firearm, they understand the dangers of a firearm. If you have kids, teach them now. Keep the guns out of sight, and locked away as much as possible. But my gosh, expose them to the guns and saftey around them as well. If they see them glorified in Video, song, movies, etc... Do you think if they get around one while you are not around, that they are going to respect your wishes? Not no, but H3ll no. Teach them saftey.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Nate Not in Arkansas:<br /> Children do not want to play with what is front of them. They want to play with what is hidden from them. <br /><br />I do not keep my guns locked up, nor do I keep them unloaded. They are in plain sight, OUT OF REACH of my children. They just dont think to play with them, just as they would not want to play with the wall clock, or my cordless drill, or my skilsaw.
"They just dont think to play with them..." until they think of it, or until the neighbor kid or a cousin talks 'em into it. Same with the skilsaw. Please tell me your skilsaw isn't plugged in & within reach of your daughter.<br /><br />Political or religious views aside, as a friend, I'm just asking, please reconsider.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Wow achris, I never realized what an anti-American anus you were.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I am copy pasting something I believe in, and additionally we firearm owners have the responsibility to secure our weapons safely.<br /><br />FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE<br /><br />1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.<br />2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.<br />3. Glock: The original point and click interface.<br />4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.<br />5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?<br />6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.<br />7. Free Men Do not ask permission to bear arms.<br />8. If you don't know your rights you don't have any.<br />9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.<br />10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.<br />11. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?<br />12. The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.<br />13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.<br />14. Guns only have two enemies: rust and liberals.<br />15. Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety<br />16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.<br />17. 911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.<br />18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.<br />19. Criminals love gun control -- it makes their jobs safer.<br />20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.<br />21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.<br />22. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.<br />23. Enforce the "gun control laws" we have, don't make more.<br />24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.<br />25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.<br />26. ".. A government of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE<br /><br /><br />Thank You for your consideration.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PJC I agree with a lot of that... especially #4<br /><br />I lived in a small town in WA state. Redneck town at best. I loved it there and there was little to no crime (with the exception of a bar fight or two) because it was a known fact that every home in that town had an arsenol of guns at the homeowners disposal. <br /><br />That being said, the crimes that did happen were at the hands of theives. I heard more often than not "my house got broken into today while my wife and I were at work... all they took were my guns that were under the bed. Wonder how they knew where to look."<br /><br />Because they are criminals. They knew not to break in at night or they would have gotten a rifle poking them in the chest. <br /><br />The average theif is more security savvy than the average gun owner. Thats their "job". That being said, LOCK UP YOUR GUNS. A theif or a child is not going to go to the trouble to take a gun cabinet with guns that is bolted to the floor. <br /><br />Gun Control is not to be managed by liberals, Govt., Anti gun activists, NRA, or Pro gun activists. Its the responsibility of every gun owner, especially those who are parents. GROW UP

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read the whole thread<br /><br />I have used guns to kill four times this year.<br /><br />2 rattlesnakes (in my front yard)<br /><br />A big cur dog that killed one of my sheep<br /><br />An old crippled arthritic horse that my neighbor had for over twenty years. The horse was suffering and he asked me to do it when he was gone so I took care of it for him.<br /><br />I hope to kill another deer this year for the meat<br /><br />I own 4 guns<br /><br />A ruger 22 rifle<br />Marlin 30/30<br />Remingron pump 12 gauge<br />S&W 357 revolver<br /><br />Each gun has a specific purpose. They are tools, just like any of my other tools. If I think I might have the need of one, I take it along.<br /><br />I have 3 children under 12. I do not worry about my kids misusing my guns. They have learned to respect and handle them from an early age. They see first hand what guns are built to do from the game animals I bring home and the varmints that I shoot.<br /><br />I'm sure the above sounds very harsh to some of you. Maybe you can't even imagine it. Realize this, my country gives me the right to own the guns that I own. I will fight for that right if it ever becomes necessary. I doubt it comes to that. <br /><br />Also, understand that if anything man or beast attempts to harm my family. I will do what I can to make sure that particular individual never tries again. <br /><br />Gentlemen this has nothing to do with male ego(though I'm not sure whats wrong with that anyway) It is life

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

What RubberFrog said !!

Homerr

Commander

Originally posted by achris:<br /> I have many friends who watch TV programs produced in USA, and the general comment is something like, “Who’d want to live in USA with that amount violence?”
.<br />.<br />There's your first mistake... Watching 'American TV'... And believing it!<br /><br />.<br />.<br />
<br />We have the freedom of walking into a drug store (we call them chemists and delicatessens) knowing that the next loonie (your Mr Reagan’s term) isn’t going to walk in and start shooting the place up. We have the freedom to go camping, talk to complete strangers who happen to be traveling along the same way, without the backdrop of firearms to ‘protect’ us.<br />
.<br />.<br />Your second mistake.. assuming ALL of America is what you say it is. True, some or our areas have their issues... but so does every country...<br /><br />I can walk into any establishment in my area without the fear of being shot up. As far as camping... I've met a lot of strangers with no problems. Most of the time I offer them a beverage and chat a while.<br /><br />I'll think about you the next time I have to put down a rabid dog or attacking bear with my trusty sidearm. Maybe I can talk to it and persuade it not to go after my kids or myself?<br /><br />LOL..

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> Dear America <br /><br />I am referring specifically to your obsession with the false belief that if a country doesn’t reflect your gun laws (more to the point, lack of gun laws) then they are being repressed and have no freedoms. <br /> <br />PLEASE STOP JUDGING US BY YOUR STANDARDS. <br /><br />Why is it ok to shoot and kill somebody else on a freeway because they changed lanes too late? <br /><br />
#1We don’t ask that you “reflect” our gun laws, just respect our right to have them. And its not you have no freedoms, just at least 1 less than we do. <br /><br />#2 Please look into the mirror next time you repeat that statement. <br /><br />#3 Where did you get the idea it was OK to kill anyone for an inconsiderate lane change. We have laws against MURDER of any type here.

D

DJ

achris,<br /><br />Woo Hoo, just came in from "popping off a couple CAPS", in the hood. What fun!!!!<br /><br />You believe American TV, that's a hoot. NOTHING could be farther from the truth. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Keep American TV as your guide and you'll never set foot here. Whew! :)

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Way back earlier in the thread, Wimperdink said:
Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> If you have pissed someone off thats liable to shoot you... sounds like a personal problem. If you live in a bad neighbor hood and are subject to breakins? Move. <br /><br />Find a way to get out of that neighborhood. If you have kids... best not be in that neighborhood anyway. <br /><br />If you really think about it, there is always another solution. <br /><br />If so, shouldnt you start thinking about moving your loved ones to a better place? (let me guess, you cant afford it) Sell your guns, get a job, and move!!!
I've got two little stories for you, and I bet they aren't isolated cases.<br /><br />Many many many years ago, I broke up with a girl. Nasty break-up. I was planning on moving, but these things don't happen instantly. She hung out with some unscrupulous people, and I truly feared retribution. Sure, it's my fault for getting together with her in the first place, but you can't condemn me to death over it. I slept with a loaded shotgun by my bed until I was able to move.<br /><br />Want another?<br /><br />This didn't happen to me personally, but it was literally close to home. I live in a rather affluent neighborhood, I think only a couple homes are valued less than half a million. Certainly not a "crime-ridden" or "bad neighborhood". I wave no less than than five times as I leave for work every morning.<br /><br />Just a few months ago, there was a break-in five houses away. The couple has two kids, 8 and 10. I'm not 100% on the details, but I know the intruder came in through a window, and was repeatedly warned to stop. He didn't, and he came foward to attack. The husband shot several times, and the intruder was killed. The husband was never charged.<br /><br />Could you say that my neighbor needs to find a better neighborhood?<br /><br />Your example of putting the responsibility back on us to escape our poor surroundings doesn't always apply, the world isn't a perfect place. Sometimes crime and bad things happen in good areas, too.

D

DJ

Sure, it's my fault for getting together with her in the first place, but you can't condemn me to death over it.
No I do not. There is always a way. I've moved eight times in twenty years. Many for work, most to better myself. <br /><br />Moving is expensive, yet my families well being was my number one priority, not anyone elses, including mine.<br /><br />NO place is safe. Many are safer than others.<br /><br />Go ahead and blame me for trying to protect my family.<br /><br />And yes, WE'RE armed.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br />I've got two little stories for you, and I bet they aren't isolated cases.<br /><br />Many many many years ago, I broke up with a girl. Nasty break-up. I was planning on moving, but these things don't happen instantly. She hung out with some unscrupulous people, and I truly feared retribution. Sure, it's my fault for getting together with her in the first place, but you can't condemn me to death over it. I slept with a loaded shotgun by my bed until I was able to move.<br /><br /><br />Just a few months ago, there was a break-in five houses away. The couple has two kids, 8 and 10. I'm not 100% on the details, but I know the intruder came in through a window, and was repeatedly warned to stop. He didn't, and he came foward to attack. The husband shot several times, and the intruder was killed. The husband was never charged.<br /><br />Could you say that my neighbor needs to find a better neighborhood?<br /><br />Your example of putting the responsibility back on us to escape our poor surroundings doesn't always apply, the world isn't a perfect place. Sometimes crime and bad things happen in good areas, too.
I've been your exact situation with the exgirlfriend thing... my ex unknown to me until 3 months later was using a 5 gallon bucket in my back yard to look in my windows. Crazy stuff like that. Had I known that, I'd have probably kept one by my bed as well. <br /><br />I do have to believe that in your aquaintence's situation with the breakin, that it was to his benefit keeping his gun close by.. Hope he stow's it in the a.m. before leaving the house.<br /><br />I need to come up with a bedside gunsafe with a biometric lock. swipe your finger over the lens and it recognizes your fingerprint and unlocks . <br /><br />If this was available to those of you taking guns to bed, would you use it?<br /><br />Still on the path believing there has to be a safer way.

Skinnywater

Commander

I have many friends who watch TV programs produced in USA, and the general comment is something like, “Who’d want to live in USA with that amount violence?” I can only agree.
achris, I don't understand how a country (Australia)that is portayed as it is in all the "Road Warrior" movies, that you'd say you have no violence. You're completely a lawless country.<br />I came away with the education, your country, vehicles and people are dirty, ugly, and very disgusting. <br /><br /> Seriously, there isn't any purpose to debate guns with your rationale. Your posts don't come near being relevant to the topic.<br /><br />We'd do much better debating your sensibility. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I or anyone else developed a biometric gun safe that you could secure to a night stand. How many of you would use it. <br /><br />Biometric for those of you who are not aware is the technology used to swipe your finger over a lens. It reads your fingerprint (or any that is preprogrammed ie wife and/or other adult)to activate and deactivate the lock. It would mean no missing keys or fumbling with keys. Couldnt lose a key to be found by anyone. Would swipe your finger and lift a lid. Fast, easy, and best of all very secure. No curious kid accidents, still able to keep a loaded weapon nearby and accessible, and lessen probability of a stolen weapon. <br /><br />If it were available would you use it?<br /><br />edit: just did a search... they are available here !<br /><br />Its an answer that would make most everyone happy. Including myself. Keep your guns. Just keep them secured.<br />

jspitzer

Cadet

I have two kids in my house and they wouldn't even think about getting into my guns, in fact they are scared of them. do I lock them up?? you bet I do, not only that but I put my ammo in a different spot,locked up. Do I think my kids would ever get into my guns?? Heck no, But then you never know. Kids are very curious and if you don't show them what they are all about they will find out for themselves...

Homerr

Commander

Skinny...<br /><br />I was just about to say the same thing.. :) <br /><br />The Roadwarrior movies... Now what kind of sick county runs people down on the roads?<br />And wasn't that movie fighting over oil or gas? HAHAHA! (Must be true... I watched it on tv) <br /><br />ROFL<br /><br /><br />H.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

saw an Austrailian movie once...now I know, nobody in Austrailia is ever sober enough to do anything, there too busy drinking that motoroil they call beer and "shagging" everything that moves. What a life!

Dunaruna

Admiral

This is all very amusing.<br /><br />CHRIS delivers a broadside and attacks your country. In response, you (plural) attack MY country.<br /><br />Me thinks your sights are not pointed in the right direction.