Got kids? LOCK UP YOUR **** GUNS!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Got kids? LOCK UP YOUR **** GUNS!

Funny noone wants to respond to a possible solution to the problem presented by the original post. <br /><br />How about we keep the my country is better than your country to a brand spankin new post.

Skinnywater

Commander

In response, you (plural) attack MY country.<br />
You've got it wrong. We aren't taking what we see portrayed on TV as an accurate indicator of the facts.<br />Taking potshots at movies is a far cry from attacking your country.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> This is all very amusing.<br /><br />CHRIS delivers a broadside and attacks your country. In response, you (plural) attack MY country.<br /><br />Me thinks your sights are not pointed in the right direction.
ahhhhh, you people all look alike...oops, sorry...well, we can get it all sorted out after the troops have landed.<br /><br />Have Western Austrailia made any movies? <br /><br />(BTW I've liked most of the Austrailian movies I've seen)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> Funny noone wants to respond to a possible solution to the problem presented by the original post. <br /><br />How about we keep the my country is better than your country to a brand spankin new post.
dink, respectfully, after 100 or so posts, most threads will have wandered into other territory...there's a lot of on-topic discussion here. <br /><br />If I had any firearms, and if I was shaking in my bed with fear every night & thought a loaded gun close at hand was the solution (instead of psychotherapy & modern pharmaceuticals), that biometric safe would be just the ticket.<br /><br />[edit: oops, I just unleashed all Charleton Heston's forces...hey guys that bit about shrinks & drugs was a joke...]

Dunaruna

Admiral

In response to the original question - <br /><br />This Australian (me) believes that anything that presents a danger to children should be carefully monitored by the parents, whether that be a gun, a pool or a chainsaw.<br /><br />If that means using a gunsafe, so be it. if that means responsible education - o/k.<br /><br />BTW, most aussie movies are crap, and Mel Gibson is not an aussie. :p <br /><br />Aldo

Skinnywater

Commander

...........original post.
I surely think it's convoluted to dwell and make example gross tragedy to disrespect a culture and good people.<br /><br />So many basics are ignored on the gun issue. <br /><br />The people who are most into the gun culture are most likely to be the most respectful, responsible, skillful and safest in regards to the guns.<br />Those that would integrate all the negative elements regarding guns into that group are already demonstrating behaviour that is most capable of being disrespectful and irresponsible.<br /><br />The same applies to common-sense regarding guns and their safety.<br /><br />Nothing like a gun debate to have the truely "self-rightious" to start preaching to the chior. The first to be attacked is the responsible gun owners. Those that are the most positive in their use are soundly disrespected even here.<br /><br />If you really want some positive action regarding improper use and ownership then you best concentrate on where it's needed most.<br />You can start by posting the 10 Commandments in every school. You can follow that up by promoting a positive family unit that watches less TV and watches actions by involved and responsible parents and role models. It'll be important to reel in those "special interests" that have agendas that are COUNTER TO THE AMERICAN CULTURE THAT OUR GRANDPARENTS GREW UP WITH. <br />Somehow moving further away from strong morals, common-sence, responsibility and respect seems to make more sense to you. <br /><br />Culture, it is an American culture.<br />To me, I want your respect and allow me to practice my culture.<br /><br />You'd miss more if I didn't bring it up here.<br /><br />I give a rats tail who cares about all this in Canada, South Africa or Australia. <br />But my ancestors gave a lot with the idea that an American was different.<br />That difference was simply individualism (LOOK IT UP!) and grant me the respect I deserve.<br />Since it's so obvious my culture, my individualism, my ideas and morals are so despised and attacked, disarming would be foolish.<br />All I ask is the golden rule, mind your own business, I'll mind mine.<br /><br />My post contains solutions and proper attitude, even if you disagree with them.

Homerr

Commander

Another thought...<br /><br />Wasn't the movie 'Dead Calm' about some Aussie boaters and an American bad-guy?<br /><br />And didn't a flare GUN save them?<br /><br />ROFL.. Sorry... had to toss that in. :) <br /><br />H.

Tinkr

Cadet

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> I think achris is one of the reasons that my Australian wife says that she'd never go back to Australia.
I can understand how she feels, as I've seen a photo of achris.<br /><br />(Sorry achris, but I couldn't resist it. Stick with me. I'm not against you.)

Tinkr

Cadet

Response to sundry ill-informed insults directed against the magnificent race "Australianus Surpremus" (Genus: "Greatus Beyondii - aka Bondi - Believus") and its world beating movies.<br /><br />1. Americans who don't know their own history should check out where their labour (labor) for the plantantions came from in the 16th and 17th centuries. As Boswell recorded Dr Johnson saying around 1769 of Americans “Sir, they are a race of convicts and ought to be content with anything we may allow them short of hanging.”<br /><br />2. Alas, the rebellious Americans weren't content with being hanged. Their ill-conceived but alarmingly successful rebellion over the price of teabags deprived Britain of its dumping ground for convicts, which by great good luck was replaced by Australia in 1788 after the Americans had become difficult over the teabag issue.<br /><br />3. The result was that Australia was founded by convicts, rejected by both England and America, under the gentle and caring ministrations of frequently drunken troops, of whom my great, great, great grandfather was one. This drunken Irish Papist got into a bit of trouble (well, seriously deep sh!t actually which had a bearing on his eventual dismissal from the English Army after a term of imprisonment with the convicts he'd come out to guard) for, among other things, proposing a toast to the Pope while a profoundly pi$$ed steward in the exclusively Anglican and monarchistic officer's mess. I am the proud carrier of his suicidally bad sense of timing and occasion, as shown by this post, although I do not share his religious affiliations. <br /><br />4. On an evolutionary basis it is clear that, being the most select of the genetic groups excluded by America and England, Australians are to date the finest and most noble race in the world.<br /><br />5. As the best of the best, we have no fear of representing ourselves as we really are in celluloid, unlike lesser nations which when challenged shrink from the cinematic representations of their true nature.<br /><br />6. Mad Max is just the average bloke we have a beer with down the pub most days. Crocodile Dundee is much the same. And so on.<br /><br />7. Here's something you don't know. The scene where Crocodile Dundee responds to the mugger's knife with a huge knife, saying "That's not a knife. THAT'S a knife." is based, in the usual corrupted cinematic fashion, on endless but entirely different cases which actually occurred in Australia when Americans pulled things out to threaten Australians. Unfortunately our women usually responded to these revelations with comments like: "You think that's a d!(k.". Then they'd grab hold of Wayne, their boyfriend / husband / or possibly just a passer by (Most of us are called Wayne) and thrust him towards the American and say "THAT'S a d!(k!"<br /><br />8. "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" is an accurate representation of Australian life. I know, because I used to be married to Priscilla. Well, until she became a bloke, anyway.<br /><br />I hope that's cleared up any misonceptions and restored the amicable relations between our two nations.

Tinkr

Cadet

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> <br />This Australian (me) believes that anything that presents a danger to children should be carefully monitored by the parents, whether that be a gun, a pool or a chainsaw.<br /><br />If that means using a gunsafe, so be it. if that means responsible education - o/k.<br /><br />Aldo
Yes. <br /><br />Seriously. <br /><br />There's a heavy gunsafe about ten feet from me as I write. No kid, nor many adults, can be trusted ALWAYS to do the right thing no matter how much they've been taught.<br /><br />I expect there should be agreement from anyone who's been a range officer on a military range where nobody gets a weapon with a live round without a lot of previous training. Nonetheless, and with way more training than any civilian will ever get and in a very well controlled situation, often some clown will manage to fire off a few rounds, or even a mag on full auto when everyone is supposed to be on single shots, until an NCO gets hold of them or their weapon while the rest of the group has been ordered to lie on the ground.<br /><br />Possibly unlike many contributors to this thread, I'm qualified to offer an opinion as when I was about 13 I got shot in the throat with a .22 by another kid of the same age. With an unloaded gun, which is what kills most kids.<br /><br />Lucky for me it was only a high powered air rifle, but you'd be amazed what a tiny pellet at way below sonic speed can do. If you want to find out, get a mate to hit you full in the front of the throat with a baseball bat as hard as he can.<br /><br />I hate to think what a military weapon feels like on the receiving end. <br /><br />The worst part of being hit in the throat with a lousy little air rifle with muzzle velocity a bit above walking speed is the involuntary muscle spasm that stops you breathing and makes you think you're going to die, even if you can dig the slug out with the point of knife when, to your considerable surprise, you manage to start breathing again when you regain consciousness.<br /><br />The worst part of not keeping weapons away from kids is that if you're a parent the tightness I felt in my throat for a few minutes after being shot is nothing like the tightness you're going to feel in yours every time you think of your dead kid because you or your neighbour didn't secure your weapon.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> If I or anyone else developed a biometric gun safe that you could secure to a night stand. How many of you would use it. <br /><br />Biometric for those of you who are not aware is the technology used to swipe your finger over a lens. It reads your fingerprint (or any that is preprogrammed ie wife and/or other adult)to activate and deactivate the lock. It would mean no missing keys or fumbling with keys. Couldnt lose a key to be found by anyone. Would swipe your finger and lift a lid. Fast, easy, and best of all very secure. No curious kid accidents, still able to keep a loaded weapon nearby and accessible, and lessen probability of a stolen weapon. <br /><br />If it were available would you use it?<br /><br />edit: just did a search... they are available here !<br /><br />Its an answer that would make most everyone happy. Including myself. Keep your guns. Just keep them secured.<br />
Not sure how well these would work. Especially in a panic situation. <br />We had a thumb scanner lock on our tool crib door. If you didn't have your thumb on there, JUST RIGHT, it wouldn't open. It usually took 3-4 tries, becuase you were off a very small fraction. So, it would depend on how sensitive the lock was, how nervous you are and so on.<br />Still like it better than keys though.<br /><br />AK Chappy

BillP

Captain

whimperdink,<br />You are just an antigunner trying to hide under different cloths. Others are just plain anti gun. As for telling folks to move if they feel threatened from crime...it goes both ways. Move away from gun owners if it offends you. Only problem is you will learn from US Gov't stats (not NRA's) there is higher crime in states with strict "gun control". Like said many times, bad guys carry guns regardless of laws<br />saying not to. <br /><br />Question to you antigunners...Do you have aerial flares on your boat. These are deadly weapons and are "firearms" by most USA city ordinances. How responsible are you...do you lock them up? Are you going to be arrested if your kid shoots someone with an unlocked flare gun and kills, injures them or catches a boat on fire? Gee, I'm glad NRA members are properly educated and know the correct answers. They would be happy to share the info but you wouldn't believe them. Last question is do you want to be dealing with locks and keys to use your flares in an emergency?<br /><br />It is very funny how people who don't own guns think it's all a macho thing. I guess macho could be said of people who drive 4WDs too...or does the 4WD provide entertainment that has nothing to do with being macho? Antigunners have not a clue about skill based events and target practice for fun. They think they know everything about guns, crime, etc. It would help if they stopped taking "gun statistics" out of the newspapers or from anti gun organizations to make a case, it isn't accurate. <br /><br />Then there are those who bash the NRA and have no real clue about the org. All they know about is the NRA's position on firearm ownership...they know nothing about NRA training programs for safe and responsible ownership. They know nothing about the NRA giving free gun locks. They know nothing about the NRA teaching NOT to shoot people. They know little to zero about the NRA. If really interested in facts instead of misinformed propaganda they would join the NRA one year to learn. Until that happens it is only showing ignorance of the truth. Yes, I was a member for a long time until I quit being active in TARGET shooting. There is way more good to the organization than antigunners can even imagine or would ever admit. 99% of antigunner postings about the NRA are inaccurate...it's that simple.<br /><br />And the chris guy in Australia who is bashing the USA. Dude, you are 1000s of miles away and don't have a CLUE what we are about. On the flip side, if I believed what many Americans think of Australians it is you are a bunch of arrogant, ego tripping, rule busting, know it all a'holes. Is that true or fiction? However, just the fact that you seem to think you know ALL (but incorrectly) about the USA proves some of that to be true. One thing for sure though...the USA will be the FIRST to help YOUR country during war or major disasters. Your type will be there taking our help and we will help regardless of your bashing the USA. The USA will be the first country Australia asks to help too. BUT, WHERE is Australia right now while the USA needs help with a major hurricane disaster? Regardless, I'm fine with what the USA is about and have no problem with Australia doing whatever they want. All Australian's are encouraged to stay there and live their own lives and customs. <br /><br />This is my one and only post on this subject.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> whimperdink,<br />You are just an antigunner trying to hide under different cloths. Others are just plain anti gun. As for telling folks to move if they feel threatened from crime...it goes both ways. Move away from gun owners if it offends you. Only problem is you will learn from US Gov't stats (not NRA's) there is higher crime in states with strict "gun control". Like said many times, bad guys carry guns regardless of laws<br />saying not to. <br />
I've got an idea... GROW UP!!!<br /><br />Then take your gun toting butt down to N.O. take up position outside of one store and proceed to keeping the looters at bay. Then i'll give you a pat on the back and say... now there is a responsible gun owner. Then when its all over, you go back home and lock your guns away from kids and criminals.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Tinkr.. you gave me a good laugh... thanks. :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Wimperdink,<br /> It was reported last night on channel 10 that the shooter, the shootee, and one other boy were involved in a conspiracy to shoot a teacher. The gun discharged prematurely. All three are in custody.

Tinkr

Cadet

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> <br /><br />If I believed what many Americans think of Australians it is you are a bunch of arrogant, ego tripping, rule busting, know it all a'holes. Is that true or fiction?
No, it's not true. <br /><br />You left out drunk.<br /><br />And handsome.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Are you going to be arrested if your kid shoots someone with an unlocked flare gun and kills, injures them or catches a boat on fire?
For the record, I would be held responsible (whether it was locked or unlocked); jail? don't know about that.<br /><br />
Originally posted by BillP:<br /> It is very funny how people who don't own guns think it's all a macho thing.
Are you really going to lump all non-toters into one category?<br /><br />
Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Antigunners have not a clue about skill based events and target practice for fun.
Okay, give me a clue; what is it about skill and fun that prevents you making your firearms inaccessible to children?<br /><br />
Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Then there are those who bash the NRA and have no real clue about the org. All they know about is the NRA's position on firearm ownership they know nothing about NRA training programs for safe and responsible ownership. They know nothing about the NRA giving free gun locks....
Okay, so give me a clue; what is their position on ownership? I think it is "everybody should be allowed to own any kind of firearm or ammo they choose; no background checks, no license, no registry, no waiting period, whether or not they pass a training program for safe and responsible ownership. We got these training programs & locks here but if anybody wants 'em it's their business." <br /><br />If NRA membership AND completion of NRA training AND use of NRA gun locks were mandatory AND compulsory for gun ownership, I would get behind it 100%. I mean it, subcontract gun control to the NRA. Owners like BillP are the good guys...it's the other gun owners we need to worry about.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> Wimperdink,<br /> It was reported last night on channel 10 that the shooter, the shootee, and one other boy were involved in a conspiracy to shoot a teacher. The gun discharged prematurely. All three are in custody.
Very good... two of them were caught up front the other one not.. and for awhile it was just one of them on house arrest. Now we know why Wimperdink isnt a judge. I'd nail everyone involved to the wall to make a point. That includes Kids and the gun owners. The guns belonged to one of the boys uncle, who is also his legal guardian. Had one in the trunk of his car and the other in his junk drawer. Hardly places for handguns.<br /><br />Boatbuoy where ya from in east TN and do ya ever boat douglas lake?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I agree dink, the uncle's gotta take responsibility...maybe the DA is still workin on charges