Got kids? LOCK UP YOUR **** GUNS!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Got kids? LOCK UP YOUR **** GUNS!

Just curious - if you had to shoot inside your home, wouldn't you be afraid of where a bullet that missed your target would end up? Through a wall? What's on the other side?<br /><br />I'm not saying that you're not a good aim but when it comes down to it, in a panic, anybody would be popping off rounds quickly and probably not as accurate as when you were at the range...

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just curious - if you had to shoot inside your home, wouldn't you be afraid of where a bullet that missed your target would end up? Through a wall? What's on the other side?<br /><br />I'm not saying that you're not a good aim but when it comes down to it, in a panic, anybody would be popping off rounds quickly and probably not as accurate as when you were at the range...

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Hmmm. <br /><br />Our pastor came to our house when I was about 5. He and my stepdad got out all of the family guns and taught each of us (5) what it was and how it is used. Then they demonstrated what they could do on a bunch of over-ripe melons.<br /><br />Then they put them all away, and my SD told us that anyone who touched the cabinet without a true emergency wouldn't be able to sit for a month.<br /><br />We believed him.
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!<br /><br />This is what does not happen in today's world. I taught my sons the same thing. I still lock up my guns seperate from the ammo, but they know where the keys are. It is the irresponsible adults who cause the problem. The ones who do not teach their children what guns REALLY do, not what they do in a video game. The ones who are not there for their children, so they seek "gangs" for a family structure. The ones who do not put their foot down from an early age and say "I am your parent, not your friend. This doesn't mean we can't be friends, but the parent part comes first."<br /><br />rant over.<br /><br />AK Chappy

popuptarget

Cadet

I normally do not join in on discussions but I felt the need to pipe in on this one. I have seen a couple of arguments for and against weapons. I am for weapons. Of course I am in Iraq right now as a civilian this time. So I live, eat, sleep, pick my nose, and poop with a weapon by my side. Is it loaded you ask? NO. Why not, you say. The hadji’s could get you anytime! Well if I cannot load and aim and engage the enemy with my weapon in less than a few seconds then it is about as useful as tits on a boar hog. How do you get so proficient at doing that you say? Well I practice. It’s called muscle memory. Now do I have a loaded weapon at home? NO. Why not? Because that is an invitation to disaster. I am not at my house 24/7 obviously. I do not know who will be there day to day even when I am home. I cannot control everything. I do know that an unloaded weapon cannot fire. Even in the most experienced hands. How do you protect yourself in big bad Temple, Tx you say. Same way I do over here. I practice. I know where the weapon is I know where the rounds are I know where the fire, no fire zones are in my house. Does your wife or three year old know how to do this you say. No their job in case of danger is to practice RLH (Run Like H*!!). Preposterous you say, you take weapons safety way to seriously. O.K. say I do. Now take a similar situation. Think about what I said and think about how you treat your boat.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"engage the enemy" LOL I love euphanisms! how about "pop a cap in his a**?"<br /><br />Absolutely make sure your kid knows all there is to know about the firearms in your house. But when you have guests with children, be aware, take steps, kids will mess around with guns if they find 'em, especially if they're ignorant enough not to know the real thing from a toy.

LubeDude

Admiral

The area where I live is in the country, we have the highest Meth use in the state around here. We have no police protection and the nearest is usually abought 30 Minutes away. I have ran off people that drive down here countless times and they are shady caracters at best. I have taught my wife how to load, reload and get the gun in a hurry and how to use it if she has to. She is instructed to go into the bedroom, lock the door, turn on the light, get the gun, get between the bed and the wall and point the gun at the door. If she hears someone in the house, she yells at the top of her voice, "Who is it", many times. IF SOMEONE KNOCKS THE DOOR OPEN SHE IS TO SHOOT FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE CHEST AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO STOP THE INTRUDER!!!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lube dude I can understand your want and need for a weapon. In your situation though I can say I would leave the guns and ammo in a locked gun cabinet. If it happens often i'd even leave some shells in it (not in the chamer though) and make sure part of my daily jewlry is a key to that cabinet. I would not however leave them out. Should someone get in, now they have a gun... not fun. I would also look into some driveway monitors (not expensive) so you can know when someone is coming up the drive and possibly a dog with a cable that goes all the way around the perimeter of the house and his leash on a pulley so he can circle the house and lay on the porch. Still have to stand by that unlocked weapons are not an option if children or visitors are there. <br /><br />Very happy to see more positive reactions than last night. Was really starting to wonder if many people had truely lost their minds.<br /><br />I must say, next time someone says I need to lock up my tools because they are dangerous too, I challenge that person to a duel... you with a loaded screwdriver and me with a loaded gun. Then maybe you'll figure out the difference. <br /><br />Also if you still have trouble differentiating between a screwdriver and a gun, remind me not to ask you to help me work on my boat. Dont want to cruise the lake in a fiberglass fishnet cause you used a gun to put in a screw. :D <br /><br />Same goes for a baseball bat, you pitch i'll hit(using a shotgun of course) see the differance?<br /><br />Thanks to all that understand the original message for what it was meant to say.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

What a bunch of self-righteous ignorant people. But I can't expect anything more from the No Responsibilities Accepted (NRA)crowd.<br />Wimperdink I read your posts and wondered who was impersonating me. I could not literally agree anymore. This is my position exactly. <br />Everybody wants to cry, I was taught as a kid. I teach my kids. Well we teach our kids not to use drugs, many do anyway. We are taught from the age of driver education not to drink and drive, thousands die each year from DUI accidents. So don't even try to pretend that education is the answer. Control is the answer. Not control against gun ownership, but control BY gun owners. Put the guns away, keep them secure, and do not keep them loaded, under any circumstance when they are not in your IMMEDIATE control.<br />I too was taught at a young age how to properly handle and respect guns. I was taught RESPONSIBILITY. I could drill the bulls-eye at 25 yards with a black-powder pistol almost every time, and dead centered the target at 100 yards with a front-stuffer rifle regularly. I used my father's 22 with peep sights and could shoot the vertical plate from under a target plate when I was bored. So I was well accustomed to gun usage. And I was well versed with gun respect. My father always stored the rifles in a gun rack in the hallway. The bolt, and ammo was NEVER stored nearby. I don't even know where he stored it.<br /><br />Now, once my mother took the 22, loaded it and threatened me with it. Tell me that guns in the home, with well-educated residents are safe. She was drunk. I was insolent. And she thought the answer was to point a loaded gun at my chest.<br /><br />Nate, you are to be admired for spending time with your darling little daughter. She's a real cutie. However, your arrogance is to be pittied.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Nate Not in Arkansas:<br /> <br />I have lots of guns and children. Do I keep them locked up or unloaded? What good is an unloaded gun? What good is a gun if you cant get to it? Does that make me irresponsible?
Yes this does make you irresponsible, considering the overwhelming evidence of kids, guns and gun related deaths. Your activities with your children, with your guns are heartwarming, being that you are actully doing something with them. Keeping your guns loaded, and unlocked when not in your immediate possession is chilling.<br /><br />This is an age old debate, with both sides deeply entrenched in their way of thinking. The difference is that one side will not consider anything except their total autonomy in regards to the use, storage, and treatment of their guns. The other side simply wants control of the guns to keep them from "accidently" killing innocent people. And that side does not necessarily want to control the guns, simply have the guns controlled, by intelligent, responsible owners. Oh, yeah, that's right, the No Responsibilities Accepted political lobbying group will never settle for that.<br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:I simply think that a gun owner should be criminally liable for whatever use is made of an improperly stored gun. Hey, if you want to keep a loaded 9 mm Browning under your pillow, fine, but you better make sure who has access to your bedroom.
Now PW. isn't that the liberal agenda that is th escourge of the nation? <br />I agree, but we will never succeed because that would force gun owners to take responsibilies for their actions and guns. It will never happen, unfortunately.<br /><br />I will end my rant with this, which is more important, your ego and guns at the ready for any contingency, or that contingency being the "accidental" death of a young child? Grow up people, realize the world we live in today is not the same one we grew up in, there are different Education assumes voluntary compliance, and we all know kids don't always comply, regardless of the known consequences. As an adult it is your repaonsibility (oops I used that word again) to safeguard your weapons from kids.

NathanY

Commander

OMG the sky is falling the sky is falling. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Children do not want to play with what is front of them. They want to play with what is hidden from them. <br /><br />I do not keep my guns locked up, nor do I keep them unloaded. They are in plain sight, OUT OF REACH of my children. They just dont think to play with them, just as they would not want to play with the wall clock, or my cordless drill, or my skilsaw. This is just ridiculous. You keep your guns where you want them, and I will do the same.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Flahthead, it is doubtful anyone could ever sneak up on me in my house. I wake up when a gnat farts outside, always have. Your point, while valid, is unlikely. We do not live in a time where all the thieves are skilled cat burglars who enter houses Mission Impossible style. We live in a time of meth addicts who bust windows out or jimmies doors and hopes to god no one hears them, or home invasions where they kick a door in. Is it possible I could wake up with the barrel of my own shotgun in my face? Of course. In reality, it would be more likely for me to be awaken by the sound of someone moving through my really creaky house, and them hearing my action chambering a round. <br /><br />Shooting someone for your TV is a poor decision to make. They want it, they can have it. They can have everything in my house, that is what I pay my insurance bill for. They want to hurt me or my wife, they are getting a shotgun blast to the chest. I would much rather know I can defend my loved ones and myself against the almost always armed theives. The only downside I see is the possibility of arming a thief with one of my weapons. Its a tough choice, with a number of pros and cons...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> What a bunch of self-righteous ignorant people. But I can't expect anything more from the 'N'o 'R'esponsibilities 'A'ccepted (NRA)crowd.<br />
Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> <br />I too was taught at a young age how to properly handle and respect guns. I was taught RESPONSIBILITY. <br /> <br />//// I could drill the bulls-eye at 25 yards with a black-powder pistol almost every time, and dead centered the target at 100 yards with a front-stuffer rifle regularly. I used my father's 22 with peep sights and could shoot the vertical plate from under a target plate when I was bored.//// <br /><br /> So I was well accustomed to gun usage. And I was well versed with gun respect. My father always stored the rifles in a gun rack in the hallway. The bolt, and ammo was NEVER stored nearby. I don't even know where he stored it.
HOLY SH EE T!! I CALL SHINANIGANS!!<br /><br />what a mess of a thread.. tell ya'll what..<br /><br />you do your thing - I'll do mine!<br /><br />RESPECT IT.. TEACH IT.. HAVE CONVICTION AND PASSION ABOUT LIFE!!!<br /><br />Mr Moore, you're a living and breathing example of why animals eat their young!<br /><br />I've never read such COW CRAP IN MY LIFE!!<br /><br />just a small, slight question about your EXTREME exagerations you seem to boast about..<br /><br />How old are you today?? <br /><br />cause 25yds = 75ft .... and 100yds = 300FT ..<br /><br />I've never boasted about my shooting abilities once around this place.. actually.. I'd have to say I've probably lied about it a few times to play it down.. but you slay me.. really.. its amazing!! Great Grandads squirrel gun in the gut at 100 in the hand of a kid huh? ..a kid shooting a flint lock pistol dead eye at 25.. LMAO.. <br /><br />SELL CRAZY SOME PLACE ELSE!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />I'm sitting here at the Ducks Unlimited Great Outdoors Festival as I type this in the Midwestern Shooters Supply Tent... you should hear the roars I got from reading this to a few of the guys.. <br /><br />here its on me so you know what you're talkin' about.. http://www.ducks.org/ <br /> http://www.midwestern-shooters.com/index.html <br /><br />please... :rolleyes:

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Statistics show that you are many, many, many more times to be killed or maimed for life at the hands of your own doctor than to be involved in an accidental shooting. The new agenda of the paranoid left is to come out and appear to be a reformed gun owner that's somehow seen the light, handed in their guns and are now on a campaign to tell the rest of us how to live. <br />More people die from electricution at home than by a gun. Telsa was right about AC, it's all that Edison's fault. I suggest putting locks on all outlets

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I stand by my stats, at least I was told those were the distances at the firing range near my home. I was skeptical, but the adult who told me the distances was an avid marksman. As for the bulls-eye, maybe that was misleading, I meant the center area of the target, you know that relatively large very center cirle, maybe 4-5 inches in dia. At least as I remember the targets.<br /><br />As for all your other BS, and the stats regarding how you are more likely to be injured, it is not the innocent that are injured in your examples, save for maybe the patient, but he asked for the procedure. I mean, if you are stupid enough to work on the light fixture without switching off the circuit breaker, it's your own fault. Is you stick a key in the outlet, you get what you deserve. How many of you have those plastic things in your outlets to protect your children from doing just that? As for the kids at school, they never asked to have a gun fired at them. <br /><br />Nate, whereas your assertions that kids are more likely to play with what is hidden, you are absolutely right. Kids are curious, and that is good, and sometimes what is hidden is dangerous. And the fact that you let your children use the guns, under your immediate supervision(?) will probably stave off a great deal of curiousity, but don't let your guard down for one minute, they are still children, still innocent and full of wonder. As for keeping them out, loaded and "Out of reach," PLEASE, out of reach is a figment of your imagination. If your children want them, they will get them. Anyone who leaves a gun loaded around children should be convicted of child endagerment, unless that gun is under the direct control of that individual.<br /><br />I am not a reformed left winger. I simply outgrew the arrogant ego trip of "I am entitled to be an idiot, so I will be." If you don't want the government to control your guns, then you CONTROL your guns, against ALL contingencies. If you do not have direct control over them, in your physical possession, or at least under your immediate supervision, then you are negligent if anything happens involving your guns.<br />I do not personally own any guns, because I have children. I enjoy target practicing. I have never hunted, it just never appealed to me. I do NOT detest anyone who does hunt, my father(used to), my oldest son and his maternal (that's on his mother's side) grandfather, and my father-in-law all hunt, and in my neck of the woods, deer hunting is a big boost to the economy, and local morale. We also have an over-abundance of whitetails, or so we're told, so we need hunters. Heck, if my oldest son really gets into it with his grandfather, maybe I will buy him his first rifle, but you can be damn sure that it will be well controlled in my house. I would rather control it than have the government control it.<br /><br />We still have the arrogant gun owners who will accept no "infringement" upon their right to keep and arm bears, and the rest of us rational folks who aren't necessarily asking for you to give your right, or your "protection", but simply asking for you to be responsible. Wimperdink did not ask for you to throw away your guns, just put them away, where they were safe, where the kids were safe. Simple request, but apparently too complex for the gun crowd to understand. Please, get over yourselves, police yourselves and show some accountability, or else big-brother will. And I shudder to think of that day. I do not own any guns, but I will fight to protect that right. And that is what I am trying to do here. <br /><br />So to all the gun owning zealots who think they are smarter than the statistics, who think the rest of us are stupid, I ask, who do you want controlling your guns? You or the government? If you are responsible and control them adequately yourselves, the government would not have the support of average Joe citizen. Think about it. And if the No Reponsibilities Accepted was really interest in responsible gun ownership, they would be encouraging you to do just that, police yourselves. But instead, their political agenda and power trip is more important.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

David... This arguement is a lost cause. Some people you just can't reach. I have strengthened faith in a lot of you and a lot of you I've thrown to the monkeys as evolutions mulligan. <br /><br />For those of you that can't figure out yet that unsupervised newly developing minds will play with what they want, and how they want due to curiosity and lack of education when elders aren't looking, I hope it doesn't end up in disaster for your young'ns. <br /><br />With that being said understand, your young'ns are not neccesarily in danger from themselves (if they've been properly educated) but look at all the others that are not. Understand that your kids judgement can be easily clouded by a buddy that wants to see it "just for a second".<br /><br />I am not a reformed gun owner that wants to change every other gun owner. Yes I've had guns and dont have guns now but that doesnt mean I wont own guns again in the future. I will however, put them away when they're not in use.

redone

Cadet

I know I am getting into this arguement late but here goes,I used to live in a BAD neighborhood, after dark if you saw me out side I usualy had 2 loaded hand guns on my person. I tried the unloaded locked storage and found I would bebetter off with a 1lb rock. some have sugested calling the cops,this is useless while a gun battle is RAGING in the trailer park across the street from your home. when they did get there most witness were too AFRAID of the shooter to identify him or to aknolage what had happened. As for the sugestion to sell,I did sell and move but it took time and I did not get full value from my house. I still have my hand gun it is now unloaded and stored secure but not locked I also have a good wach/guard dog that hates druggies/drunks thanks to my old neighbors ( no disrespect to law enforcement but they can't be everywhere )

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I still say they ought to lock up the KIDS... most of em' anyway.... :p

Homerr

Commander

Any gun topic is sure to spark an argument on this board. This one is no different.<br /><br />Guns have been in my family for generations. Not one of us had accidents or injuries related to them. Why? Because we educate from a very early age. <br /><br />Do I lock mine up? Not all of them. I keep the home defense weapons accessible.<br /><br />Show me the statistics years ago when guns were MORE accessible to kids... and then show me the stats of today with MORE gun laws and MORE restrictions?<br /><br />'Nuff said.<br /><br /><br />H.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Some of you may have noticed a lack of my presence. This is because of the sh'lacking I copped on a few other posts. So you may ask why I'm posting now. Just one reason, to express my disgust at you lot of pro-gun, trigger happy morons!<br /><br />You still don't get it, do you... You all preach about having guns for saftey, yet they are the most dangerous thing your sick society has. I have heard all the lame agruments about cars, lawnmowers, hammers and screwdrivers being as dangerous. Well, listen up idiots! Yes, you can kill with all those things, but you can kill far more and far easier with your obsession (gun). Calculate the hours of use/miles travelled of all those things and compare that with your beloved pop-gun and you will see the true nature of the beast. How many hammers exist in your gun-totting country and compare that with the gun-related deaths? How many people died from being accidently stabbed by a screwdriver? <br /><br />I truly believe your 'founding fathers' are having a great laugh right now. Maybe that should read 'floundering fathers'. I think when they gave you the second ammendment, they put bets on how long it would be before someone woke up and ban those dangerous toys, or how long your society would last before desending into total chaos fuelled by fear of each other and fanned by the easy and constitutional right to kill each other. <br /><br />America, you need to wake up and see what is happening to you, before it's too late (if it isn't already). What I really fear, and my main reason for being so vocal, is that your sick society is infesting the rest of the world, and it's a society I DON'T what to come to my country! You (USA) may like playing good cop, but from outside your country, you're the bad cop!<br /><br />Good-bye all, and keep your moronic beliefs out of the rest of the world!!!!!!!