Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mfsb

Seaman
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

I wanted to post and say how amazing I think your work is. You do it as if you expect the boat to outlast even your family when it is all done. I wish the original manufacturer did the same, although I think they feel it is not worth the expense to do so. I appreciate how well documented your videos are they are motivating to watch. Hell makes me want to go out and even wax my boat to keep it lookin good and having fun.

I would recommend though that you think a little more about PPE, Personal Protective Equipment. I know I hate having to tell my wife to repeat herself when she talks, some ear protection goes a long way. Or eye pro, having some glass in the eye is bothersome at the minimum and could really be a pain if it was long term damage to your retina from some termite poop off of your recip saw.

I know, what a geek you may say, but I think it is worth thinkin about.

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay,

Nice progress on the engine! How did you keep the termites from the rotten wood from getting into your house?

Rebuilding the carb. is a straightforward job. I remember replacing a choke pull off on one many years ago (late 1980s)and could not get it set right using a pin gage to set the initial choke opening. The proper tool is a carburetor angle plate tool and when I attempted to locate one, everyone looked at me like I was from another planet. I finally had a Chevrolet dealer set the choke angle and it was fine. The angle plate gage removes the tolerance of the air horn casting from the equation.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice work Jay. On the deck I used 1/2" for mine. It was a little spongy until I foamed it. After I foamed it, rock solid!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Curious to find out why the port side mani is puttin out less exauhst water? engine sounded strong though. Nice buy

Friscoboater

Captain

I wanted to post and say how amazing I think your work is. You do it as if you expect the boat to outlast even your family when it is all done. I wish the original manufacturer did the same, although I think they feel it is not worth the expense to do so. I appreciate how well documented your videos are they are motivating to watch. Hell makes me want to go out and even wax my boat to keep it lookin good and having fun.

I would recommend though that you think a little more about PPE, Personal Protective Equipment. I know I hate having to tell my wife to repeat herself when she talks, some ear protection goes a long way. Or eye pro, having some glass in the eye is bothersome at the minimum and could really be a pain if it was long term damage to your retina from some termite poop off of your recip saw.

I know, what a geek you may say, but I think it is worth thinkin about.

Thank you for the compliments! Yes, I am a perfectionist for sure. I feel super guilty not doing it right, or over doing it. I totally agree with you about the PPE. I get lazy sometimes and just forget about it, but I need to be more vigilant, and lead by example.

Jay,

Nice progress on the engine! How did you keep the termites from the rotten wood from getting into your house?

Rebuilding the carb. is a straightforward job. I remember replacing a choke pull off on one many years ago (late 1980s)and could not get it set right using a pin gage to set the initial choke opening. The proper tool is a carburetor angle plate tool and when I attempted to locate one, everyone looked at me like I was from another planet. I finally had a Chevrolet dealer set the choke angle and it was fine. The angle plate gage removes the tolerance of the air horn casting from the equation.

The termites were larvae, and had not made it to adulthood. Plus it was cooler and I think they are not moving real fast.

Nice work Jay. On the deck I used 1/2" for mine. It was a little spongy until I foamed it. After I foamed it, rock solid!

I figured as much. I am for sure foaming.

Curious to find out why the port side mani is puttin out less exauhst water? engine sounded strong though. Nice buy

Someone emailed me about that. The ball check valve is most likely to blame, and I will order a new one.

denlynn36

Seaman

Just wanted to bud in to say thank you for the time and effort you put in to educate us! The posts and vids alone are ALOT of work and very time consuming! I have studied your work like a college class and it has helped me a ton, so thank you!

Den

Friscoboater

Captain

Just wanted to bud in to say thank you for the time and effort you put in to educate us! The posts and vids alone are ALOT of work and very time consuming! I have studied your work like a college class and it has helped me a ton, so thank you!

Den

You are quite welcome Den. I have to thank iboats for the great forum we have to share information. I don't know how my grandfather replaced his deck on his old Glastron without all the help we have here.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have a question for everyone. I have been wrestling with the idea of repainting/gelling the hull of the boat. I just cannot bring myself to do it yet because it polishes out perfectly. As a boat owner... would you rather have an original gel coated boat that may have a ding or two, but shines like a new diamond, or a repainted/geled boat?

I guess what I am getting at is... does repainting hurt value, or a ding or two?

Personally I love the original, and I do not feel you can do the same when re-coating.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO NOTHING compares to the Original except NEW. This is not a NEW boat. If you can bring an Old boat back to "Like New" in it's Original "DRESS". To ME that is much more impressive/valuable than...
images

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I would leave the original gel its hard to replicate what they did originally especially that metal flake.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Since the original is buffing out nicely, my vote would be just to leave it as is... I think it would be more valuable to have the original gel (with a ding or two - that you could possibly spot repair anyway), than to have it re-painted.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the "polish the original gel" camp. If you plan on keeping the boat, maybe re-gel coat. But this is a flipper and re-gelling is just adding cost that might not be returned. You're already planning on giving your labor away!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I would not want a painted boat, I've seen too many of them peeling away over time. Regel'd, possibly, but if the original is buffing out perfectly, I vote for leaving it.

I do think that if you do decide to regel it, that you'll hurt the value if you don't put back a metalflake gel....its a Carlson thing, and won't look right without it.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I do think that if you do decide to regel it, that you'll hurt the value if you don't put back a metalflake gel....its a Carlson thing, and won't look right without it.
To that measure it would definitely increase the cost of the project to regel with a metal flake.

Agleason

Cadet

I could not make a decision until the ENTIRE boat is buffed out to see how it looks. You may have a few large spots that won't clean up after you pass on re-finishing it.

Friscoboater

Captain

I really do not want to think of this boat as a flipper at all, and to be honest, I am really starting for fall in love with her. Heck, I just might as this to my collection :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

I really do not want to think of this boat as a flipper at all, and to be honest, I am really starting for fall in love with her. Heck, I just might as this to my collection :)

Your son will L--O--V--E LOVE this decision when he gets into highschool & can pilot this 2 seater w/ just him & a girl :cheer2:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I just might as this to my collection

Funny how that happens huh?

I would see what you can do with the gel coat. I have had great luck with my paint, but I also have a pretty good chunk of change tied up in it and a lot of time. Also, its hard to get a metallic that is as large as the gel flake. House of Color makes some, but you have to add then to a clear, then spray over a base color.....then build up a bunch of clear over the flake.

Decker83

Commander

If you're still trying to stay within a budget I would check out the cost of the gel. It can be very expensive..Plus the equipment to spray the flake. You will need a presure pot that has a agitator in it to stir the flakes.. The gel doesn't cover much sq ft per gallon either..
I used about 7 gallons on mine and I'm not sure I put on a thick enough coat yet..My hull has about 200 sq ft..Then there is the cost of the acetone for clean up.. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of acetone for each gallon of gel.. Then all the sandpaper you will need to prep and finnish the hull.. It all adds up very fast as you already know..
Can't say anything about the painting but I would perfer the gel way over the paint..Thats why I redid mine with gel..
From what I have seen on your hull, it shines up very good.. I would think you could patch a few small dings with alot more success than trying to regel or paint without near the cost..