Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Vermin's Lair needs period gauges... (to match her leather pants and big hair)...

Its worth the 25.00 bucks to give it a shot.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Been following along cool boat, It is going to fly with that engine. My 20 ft Invader Cuddy with the same engine does almost 50MPH. I love old Glastrons had a 1970 v156 growing up back in the 80s.

On the gauges I bought period looking used ones off ebay for my 89 invader, acutally a couple sets off before i found the Farias I liked. Each set came with a dash panel extra switches, fuses and wiring and did not pay more than 25 bucks for them. Of course I tested them before install and all worked fine. Got a nice set of Mercruiser gauges from about the late 80s i think PM if interested in seeing pics.

MikeHelm New.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I like the old ones, but it sure is a nice feeling to know you have new ones that are telling you if there is an issue with the engine. I really like the Farias I bought.

Friscoboater

Captain

As much as I like those older ones, I think I am just going to go all new, and make sure it all works. I think I found some that look really nice, but have a period look. The gauges that came with it look like a Fiero cluster.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

. What does everyone think? Get some new ones, or get some old ones?

I'm on the side of keeping it original, I think it would look better with the older gauges than the brand spanking new ones.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I am going to keep the original for sure.

Hey guy I need some help. I am looking for a set of Mercruiser S pipes for this project. I am going to do a thu hull under the water line, and I have seen lots of CVX-18s done this way. Every place I have checked does not have have any more, or they want full retail ($419). Can you guys keep an eye out for a deal on them?

IMG_0038.jpg

Here's some for $180 a pair:

Aluminum S-Pipes Universal (pair) - Hardin Marine

Friscoboater

Captain

I got two thirds of the hull ground down today. Time for a hot shower.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Jay,

Ahh doing the grinding now...what is the temp down there in Texas? I know when did my grinding it was about 45 degrees to about 50 degrees and that was about the perfect temps to do it. Also thanks for the Frugal Filmmaker shout out...I love that site :)

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

No doubt about it, grinding glass stinks. A larger grinder will make it go faster if you can hang on to it long enough. But you're done now.

Maybe I missed it, but what's the plan to on keeping the sides propped up at the correct distance apart? I can see adding temporary measured boards from side to side on the inside of the boat, but they would constantly be in the way. Can you run boards up from the sides of the cradle to the outside edges of the boat?

By the way, I would love to rebuild a boat like this with light weight, stiff materials. Then flip it over and blue print the planning surface with filler and a long board. Certainly overkill for boat you plan to flip. But if it turns out to be a keeper...

Friscoboater

Captain

Actually the hull has kept its shape. I thought about flipping it, but that is just not in the cards right now.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well, I got most of the wood cut today, and PL glues the transom together. My USComposites order will not get here till the 28th, so I am kind done till then. I will post up some pictures and videos tomorrow.

tpenfield

Staff member

Well, I got most of the wood cut today, and PL glues the transom together. My USComposites order will not get here till the 28th, so I am kind done till then. I will post up some pictures and videos tomorrow.

Gee, I was hoping to see a fully synthetic restore. . . :joyous:

Friscoboater

Captain

Naaa, wood is still a great substrate for boats. You just need to glass it correctly. On all these boats I have restored, there have been manufacturing flaws that allow water in. Stop that, and you are good. Plus you would have to use epoxy, and that would drive the cost up by 20 to 30 percent.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Frisco just a thought early on you could be the first guy with a LS6 marinized! warp dive Mr. Scott I Captain!! Just a thought.

Friend of mine has a running fuel injected Gen III 5.3 in a CVX 20 Jet boat. It was a long learning process for him but the boat runs great and is rock solid reliable.

Good lookin project Jay. I hope you see the return you want from it. It will be hard to do. Maybe we can actually pull together a meet up with Bobby this coming summer. James had his interior done on his CVX by Brown's in Mesquite. He was very pleased with the results and happy with the price. I have another buddy that bought a commercial grade machine of CL for $125 and sewed his own. It looks great. Let me know if you want to see either of these projects or talk to the guys that did them. We are local to you and love to talk about our stuff over a couple of beers.

Friscoboater

Captain

I would love to do a fuelie in this boat. Maybe the new owner will.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas, I will be editing a few videos over the next few days while I wait for my supplies.

Friscoboater

Captain

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Mohican is right James', GCVX20 came out right and runs good.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok... time for a huge update. I have been slacking off a little, and I am sorry, but it take alot of time to type all this for the forum, and it has been super laggy for me lately.

So where we left off is with the new engine and the fact I was ready to grind the hull, and start putting things back together. There is just now ands ifs or buts about it, grinding sucks. You must wear the right gear, it is noisy, and after you are done, you feel like there are a million tiny pins poking at your skin. It took me about a day and a half to grind the hull in this boat, and I really had to watch it, as the hull is very thin, and I had to make sure I did not grind through. Now I did not get every square inch of this hull as we are not going with gel coat on the inside, but instead the old school carpet. So I will be spraying glue over the areas that do not get glass, so it does not matter.

I also go the transom cut out, the stringers cut, and the transom glued into place. I chose to go with PL glue for the transom this time, as I was not really in a huge hurry, and it gives you alot more working time before you cannot work with it any more. The next step is to tab the transom in.

Safety gear is a must. Tyvek suit, gloves, respirator, eye protection, and ear protection. I use 4 1/2" angle grinder with a 36 grit flap wheel.

file-165.jpg

This was after about three house of grinding. You just want to get to good glass, do go too far.

file-167.jpg

This is after most of it was done, and I was test fitting the old stringers and taking some more measurements.

file-170.jpg

file-172.jpg

I was able to find A/C Arauco Ply at one HD for the transom. The Deck is not Arouco, but still A/C exterior grade, and I picked though the stack for the best pieces.

file-197.jpg

I glues the two pieces together, screwed the middle, clamped the sides, and then cut out the shape. I used my marker on a stick method of making a template. See the video for detailed instructions.

file-185.jpg