• Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

I voted for glue in b/c:

A. If you keep the boat, you will take great care of it... They way you have built the boat, some wet carpet every now and then is not going to ruin the boat during your time period of ownership for sure...

B. If you sell the boat, you prolly won't be able to recoup the cost of the snap in and gel coat; Plus the new owner will get 20+ years of use even with glue in, unless they totally trash/neglect (*which is their fault)...

I could see doing the extra work on the Sea Ray, but I'm having a hard time seeing the upside here...

Just a thought...

tfitch03

Seaman

I voted for glue in b/c:

A. If you keep the boat, you will take great care of it... They way you have built the boat, some wet carpet every now and then is not going to ruin the boat during your time period of ownership for sure...

B. If you sell the boat, you prolly won't be able to recoup the cost of the snap in and gel coat; Plus the new owner will get 20+ years of use even with glue in, unless they totally trash/neglect (*which is their fault)...

I could see doing the extra work on the Sea Ray, but I'm having a hard time seeing the upside here...

Just a thought...

plus 1

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with pmccraney

jonwilk

Cadet

Great job Jay I am enjoying thr reburb go ahead and glue it in already got every thing sealed

Friscoboater

Captain

I am kinda thinking we will do Glue in also. I just popped for a New Windshield from UDP Plastics.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Jay, How much was that windshield? I have a buddy with the same boat needing one.

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job so far as always! Hope to see carpet in there as well so I voted for it. Don't forget to make of video of the carpet install if you go that route. ;)

James

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Yowsers!! :greedy_dollars: :facepalm:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

glad mine didn't come with one, lol!

V153

Lieutenant Commander

They go faster without one anyway ...

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

I don't really post a lot but having been here for 4 years I wanted to cast my vote. I voted for gel coat. Yes, it would save money with glue in but with your past with rot I just couldn't see you doing glue even though the floor is super sealed. Just my opinion and it will be a super nice boat either way. Can't wait to see more updates!

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

That is actually very cheap. One place wanted 650 shipped, and the other wanted a little over 700.

X2. $475 for a moulded windshield is a great price. Thanks for the info Jay.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you put glue in carpet in that boat, I'm really going to question your sanity. 2 part paint or gel with grip filler is the only way to go. You could use a big outdoor floor mat and trim it to fit. Let the next owner add carpet it they like.

Awesome work by the way.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out kiwi grip, it can be tinted to any color. Would gelcoat and use the kiwi patterned two tone.

Excellent idea! You could mask off the tented area in the same shape as the snap-in carpet pattern. I think that looks cool as heck and it wouldn't cost much.

Tutorials here: Boat Builder Central - Help

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

Jay (and others with experience) - Is it OK to ask questions here? Have watched many of the videos and now I'm stuck.

I'm experimenting using PL construction glue to attached 2 pieces of 3/4 marine plywood together. I've worked with Gorilla glue before and had excellent results using my boat batteries to apply the "clamping" pressure. With the PL glue initially the fit looked great, but after several hours of curing some expansion created a small amount of separation in places, even directly under a 30 lb. battery. What did I do wrong? Temp is about 60 degrees in my work space. I moistened slightly the piece without the glue before attaching them together, doing the final positioning and applying pressure.

I'm going to do a another test and leave wood screws in for the duration of the curing process. Is PL glue known for expansion and if so, is there something better where you are dealing with tight tolerances?

Thanks!

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jay (and others with experience) - Is it OK to ask questions here? Have watched many of the videos and now I'm stuck.

I'm experimenting using PL construction glue to attached 2 pieces of 3/4 marine plywood together. I've worked with Gorilla glue before and had excellent results using my boat batteries to apply the "clamping" pressure. With the PL glue initially the fit looked great, but after several hours of curing some expansion created a small amount of separation in places, even directly under a 30 lb. battery. What did I do wrong? Temp is about 60 degrees in my work space. I moistened slightly the piece without the glue before attaching them together, doing the final positioning and applying pressure.

I'm going to do a another test and leave wood screws in for the duration of the curing process. Is PL glue known for expansion and if so, is there something better where you are dealing with tight tolerances?

Thanks!
Use wood glue. Titebond lll, it's waterproof, doesn't expand, and it's strong. Woodworkers will use it to glue two or more pieces of lumber together to make wider boards like for a table or such. If done right the joint is stronger than the wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

Friscoboater

Captain

I think we have come up with a really good idea for the carpet situation. The snap is is very expensive, and i really do not think it fits the style of this boat. This boat screams fun and party time, and snap in carpet is more refined luxury. This boat is all about the party, and it needs to reflect that. So I had the idea today to completely gel coat the inside of the boat with great gel, and then put in a contrasting Hydroturf glues to the gel coat. Hydroturf is super nice and looks great. And I can make a pattern to make an "I" like pattern so that it will go in front of the seats, the middle and then in front of the bench. I was thinking a grey with black grooves, or black with grey grooves.

This gives me the best solution and keeps the boat "cool"

Black-on-Gray.jpg

Gray-on-Black.jpg