Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esimmons92

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Save the money...
just glue it in

Hey Guys updates are coming. Dad and I were talking yesterday and we had a thought. Should we go with gel coat and snap in carpet, or go with a old school glue in. With the seat pedestals we will be making, I am worried the carpet is not going to lay down right.

Please vote with the poll at the top of the page.

Friscoboater

Captain

The real problem with laying the carpet is getting it o look right. Just doing the front areas was a whipping!!!

tpenfield

Staff member

I voted for the gelcoat with a snap-in carpet. I think it will add a modern flair to a classic boat.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Voted gelcoat as well, maybe nix the carpet all together and just go with some non-skid

Friscoboater

Captain

A little off topic, but did everyone see the Dodge commercial yesterday during the Super Bowl featuring the late great Paul Harvey? It was very moving to me. God Bless the American Farmer!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Sorry, I am on the fence on this...
Glue in is cheaper, faster, period correct, will probably have a better return on investment to the average Joe who may buy this boat and as long as it remains un-punctured, will be just fine for several years to come...if at some future point in time, it is decided to upgrade, some serious elbow grease to remove the carpet and glue then gel, etc...
Gel + Snap in is more money, more modern and makes the interior more convertible, possibly making for a better keeper boat or being a good selling point to a future owner who can appreciate the added value...your SeaRay is a perfect example...
I can relate to either or...
Personally, I might be doing a gel finish on my interior, without any carpet, then at some future time, I might throw some Loose carpet in there to see how I like it, and finally decide whether I want it removable via snap-in, permanently glued down, or not at all...
After all, mine is basically going to be a fishing rig, and fish guts on the carpet sounds like a bit of a pain...
But after all is said and done I am still a noob at all of this, so what do I really know...:noidea::bolt:

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Just my thoughts about the Floor; as I recall from my youth, my 1969 Glastron V-143 JetFlite had a snap in carpet. As I recall we used to snap it out over the winter, until the snaps rusted out. My thoughts for my Larson is when I redo the floor, I'm planning to Glass the replacement floor and then using bedliner to seal the floor.

Jay, Great job on all the Videos and work that you have done, they are inspiring! regards, Moose.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

My 2 cents are as follows the glue in carpet is period correct but! After all the work I have seen and will not look forward to in the future on my Ray to remove glue in I would not wish that on anyone in 30 yrs, when they might possibly have to tare into the rig your working on. Gel amd snap in!

chriscraft254

Commander

Check out kiwi grip, it can be tinted to any color. Would gelcoat and use the kiwi patterned two tone. Don't use rhino liner like someone suggested, slick as hell when it gets wet and heavy. I'm sure what ever you decide it will look right in the end. ;)

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The youtube ad money helps out, but I have a loooong way to go.

What kind of money do you get from the views? does clicking on adds help I will do it to throw some $ your way.

Willyclay

Captain

A little off topic, but did everyone see the Dodge commercial yesterday during the Super Bowl featuring the late great Paul Harvey? It was very moving to me. God Bless the American Farmer!

It got my vote. The gene pool is hard to escape. Good night!

jsturvey

Seaman

Hey Guys updates are coming. Dad and I were talking yesterday and we had a thought. Should we go with gel coat and snap in carpet, or go with a old school glue in. With the seat pedestals we will be making, I am worried the carpet is not going to lay down right..

Voted for gel coating the floor. I believe "Resto-mod" would be the best way to describe this build. Restoration with a couple of modern updates for better durability.

Absolutely! One of my top two favorites from the Super Bowl. Hats off to the American Farmer. Paul Harvey was a legend...always telling us "The rest of the story".

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frisco, you can also use red gel coat (or whatever tint you want) so that when the snapped in carpet is out you still have the "look".

Friscoboater

Captain

What kind of money do you get from the views? does clicking on adds help I will do it to throw some $ your way.

It gets better every day with the new views and subscribers. Yes I get paid by clicks, but the system is smart and knows when there are fraudulent clicks.

I tell you who really benefits from my channel is.... iboats. I have links back here and here from so many people every day on how they found the forum.

Friscoboater

Captain

I just priced the snap in carpet is we are looking at around $400 bucks when done, and with glue in I am around $60.

Hmmm. I personally think the glue in looks really cool on these oder boats, but I LOOOOOOVE the snap in that I have in the Sea ray.

But that is a big money difference.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you should post some "Build" Pics on CL with Links to your previous work and an Estimated selling price and see if you get any Potential Buyers. If you do Ask them if they would pay the price difference for the Snap in. I think that "Poll" would benefit you more in the long run.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Oh dang. A $340 dollar difference?! Yeah man, I voted for snap in, but forget that.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think it depends more on how "vintage" you want the boat to look. I not sure you would actually get your money back out of the snap in, tough call.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I just priced the snap in carpet is we are looking at around $400 bucks when done, and with glue in I am around $60.

Hmmm. I personally think the glue in looks really cool on these oder boats, but I LOOOOOOVE the snap in that I have in the Sea ray.

But that is a big money difference.
Not to mention the cost of the gelcoat