Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

I have a question about gel coating the deck. To make it look nice, is the process roll on a first coat, sand , second coat, sand, then third coat with wax and buff? If so would 220 paper and an orbital sander be the way to go?

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

This will make some of the Glastron lovers sad. CV23 at the dump.

20130216_141640.jpg

glastronvscaterpillar - YouTube

Friscoboater

Captain

I have a question about gel coating the deck. To make it look nice, is the process roll on a first coat, sand , second coat, sand, then third coat with wax and buff? If so would 220 paper and an orbital sander be the way to go?

actually you just make sure the deck is nice and smooth by sanding really good before the fist coat. Then you roll on a a coat of non waxed gel coat, let is cure for an hour or two and then roll on another boat of Waxed. Your done. If you try to sand in between the first coat of non waxed gel you will just gum up your paper and frustrate yourself. Non waxed gel coat is very hard to sand. I just learned that. Also, I do not buff the final coat as it would make it super slick, and in my sea ray I can actually walk right on my gel, and it is not too slippery.

This will make some of the Glastron lovers sad. CV23 at the dump.

20130216_141640.jpg

glastronvscaterpillar - YouTube

Yep, that is just sad. Dad wants to do one of those next.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, so this has been a very frustrating past few days with a little setback. I started sanding and polishing the gel coat last weekend, and it went beautifully. the boat just looked stunning... BUT!!! Yesterday I had a few placed that I needed to touch up after almost 30 years of abuse. I went to my supplier and got a quart of white gel, a quart of black gel, some tinting gel in various colors, and some metal flake to mach my boat. My plan was to mix up some gel to fill some small holes and then sand and buff it to match. I started out with the black with some flake mixed in and applied it to some small holes and let it dry. Once cured I went back and sanded it down and polished it out with some decent results, but I could still see the shadow of the hole if you looked... more on that later. I then moved to the grey areas, and mixed up a dead on match, and filled some pits on the port side of the boat. Once again I let it cure and then sanded it down flat for polishing... except... when doing this I sanded through the grey to the underling layer of black... ARRRRRRRGH!!!!! No worries, I had alot left over from the mix, so I thinned out some of the grey, taped off the area and sprayed the grey all over the area. After about tow hours I went back, sanded the gel, and polished. WOOOOOOW!!!! It looked unbelievable, and you could not see the repair at all! I was soooo stoked that I went around and did all the grey areas with the same technique and all of the results are just stunning. This is where things went terribly wrong...

I thought to myself... if the grey looked that good... then the black mixed with flake will look good too! So I went to mixing up some black with flake, masked off the areas and sprayed the black. Out of the gun it looked awesome, and I could not wait to polish it out and move on. Not so fast. After about three hours I came back and started to sand out the black, and right away I noticed how hard it was to sand this stuff. The sand paper stuck to it like crazy and it just felt like you were sanding gum. Well after hours of doing this on all the patches, I decided to try and polish it out. Bad move one again. Th areas around the patch buffed out beautifully, but the blend area and the patch itself stayed somewhat dull, and sticky. I really did not know where to go from here. I sat down and had a beer and was staring at the cans of gel coat and noticed something. The white gel coat which I used to make the grey color had wax in it, and the black did not!!! BINGO!!!! Gel coat patches MUST have wax in them so they cure all the way so you can sand an polish them.

So, here we were with sticky gel coat all over the place, and we had to get it off. We spent three hours getting all that crap off, and now I am back to square one. Through all this I have created more work because I now have to spray some more black with flake in some places that I sanded though, but I think I have a plan. Tell if this sounds right.

1. Re-sand the area and clean with acetone for adhesion.
2. Spray thinned black gel coat (without wax) to gain the color back
3. Spray clear gel with flake in it (without wax) to gain the flake back
4. Spray a good thick coat of clear gel WITH WAX for the final coat.
5. Sand, then polish.

This has almost been a full day and a half wasted, and I hope my new plan works. It is not like it is that bad, but you know me.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

ive never done this but it sounds like your on the right track :) -vlad

jbcurt00

Staff member

I hope figuring out the wax vs unwaxed helps resolve the problem, and you can give it another shot. Sounds like you were really happy w/ the wax'd results..

Drag about the unwaxed, but at least you figured it out quick.........

Decker83

Commander

I sprayed about 5 layers of gel on my hull.. I didn't use the wax I used the PVA..
I didn't use the PVA until the last coat and it did just like it was supposed to..
Your plan should work great..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear about the black, that is always frustrating when things are going great and then Murphy shows up! At least you figured out where you went wrong.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the input guys.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Not to hijack your thread jay, but Decker I'm assuming you sprayed the pva over the gel? And washed it off after it cured?

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

This has almost been a full day and a half wasted, and I hope my new plan works. It is not like it is that bad, but you know me.

Someone once said, "The only tragedy is a lesson not learned". Sounds like an average day in my garage. Keep up the good work.

Decker83

Commander

Not to hijack your thread jay, but Decker I'm assuming you sprayed the pva over the gel? And washed it off after it cured?

That is how I did it... It washed off very easy with a small power washer..
Another thing that was really strange was I used a small blow gun and it came off in sheets, like plastic...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info Decker. (sorry for the hijack jay) It is more or less a plastic release agent you spray on molds, sounds like you did it inside out. Never thought of that before, it just seals up the outside layer of gel like the wax.

Friscoboater

Captain

I got a new shipment of goodies coming from US- Composites. I am going with the wax additive for the small spot repairs just because it is easy. I think the PVA is a great idea, but I think I can make the wax work as the grey repairs came out so good.

Decker83

Commander

I think that is a good ideal going with the wax Jay.. I used it on the inside of the hull on mine and had no problem..
I only used the PVA on the outside of the hull because of the large amount of gel coat I sprayed.. The tech at US Composites and Yatch Dr also suggested I use it..

Friscoboater

Captain

I think that is a good ideal going with the wax Jay.. I used it on the inside of the hull on mine and had no problem..
I only used the PVA on the outside of the hull because of the large amount of gel coat I sprayed.. The tech at US Composites and Yatch Dr also suggested I use it..

Yep, that is what I gathered and the tech told me the same. I have PVA coming too and I will play around with it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

The PVA is interesting stuff, I have been playing with it on my mold mockups. When it comes off (dry) it looks like a trash bag.

Scott B.

Recruit

actually you just make sure the deck is nice and smooth by sanding really good before the fist coat. Then you roll on a a coat of non waxed gel coat, let is cure for an hour or two and then roll on another boat of Waxed. Your done. If you try to sand in between the first coat of non waxed gel you will just gum up your paper and frustrate yourself. Non waxed gel coat is very hard to sand. I just learned that. Also, I do not buff the final coat as it would make it super slick, and in my sea ray I can actually walk right on my gel, and it is not too slippery.

Yep, that is just sad. Dad wants to do one of those next.

Moonraker!

Friscoboater

Captain

Well the gel repair and polishing went great. Took me 4 full days, but it is done, I am editing video as we speak.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope its not to late to make my video request. If you have a good description of how you sprayed the gel including equipment please edit it in. This is one area that I think could really benefit from your excellent videos. Thanks!