Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

It was also recommended to me to try the "False deck method". Just using a cheap sheet of plywood, drill lots of holes in it, place it over the stringers in place of the floor, weight it down, and pour the foam. This way the skin on the top isn't compromised and it would still be tight against the deck when the real deck is placed and screwed in place. And, if I poured too much, it would raise the weighted false deck instead of bulge out my hull. What is your opinion on this? I wanted to prepour my foam so I could cut channels into it with a router for water to flow if it ever gets below the deck. This would mean sealiong the top of the foam though, with a paint or epoxy.

I'll admit I wasn't looking forward to buying all the extra epoxy.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Jay looks great you make fast work of all of this. I have to get back to work on my project will be great to have it on the water.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

FB,

Whenever the deck seams are "Free Floating" I always screw a 1x3 cleat to the bottom of one of the pieces and then use PB to attach em together. This really stiffens things up. Just like Patching a deck. Just my way.

DeckPatch.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I did the same thing wood outlined above on mine. I used epoxy and stainless screws to secure the cleats. My floating seams span about twice as far as yours do, so it was a bigger issue. With the foam and the layers of glass yours should be rock solid.

As for foaming after the deck is down, I agree with Frisco, that is the way to go. It really stiffens up the entire hull and deck. It causes the bottom of the hull and the deck to act as one structural component. It also really dampens noise from waves hitting the hull. All you have to do is use a main hole and relief holes like Frisco did. If you have holes for the excess foam to bleed out, damaging the hull isn't a concern. I was worried about that, but after my first pour, I realized I was over thinking it. Just make sure you have someplace for it to vent to.

Nice looking work as usual! Keep the pics and video coming!

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I did the same thing wood outlined above on mine. I used epoxy and stainless screws to secure the cleats. My floating seams span about twice as far as yours do, so it was a bigger issue. With the foam and the layers of glass yours should be rock solid.

As for foaming after the deck is down, I agree with Frisco, that is the way to go. It really stiffens up the entire hull and deck. It causes the bottom of the hull and the deck to act as one structural component. It also really dampens noise from waves hitting the hull. All you have to do is use a main hole and relief holes like Frisco did. If you have holes for the excess foam to bleed out, damaging the hull isn't a concern. I was worried about that, but after my first pour, I realized I was over thinking it. Just make sure you have someplace for it to vent to.

Nice looking work as usual! Keep the pics and video coming!

Thanks for that. I guess maybe I'll try it this way. I really wanted to be able to put a way for water to.drain to the bilge, since any limber holes I cut below the foam will just get plugged up. I'll just have to keep the water out :p

Friscoboater

Captain

FB,

Whenever the deck seams are "Free Floating" I always screw a 1x3 cleat to the bottom of one of the pieces and then use PB to attach em together. This really stiffens things up. Just like Patching a deck. Just my way.

DeckPatch.jpg

Why did I not think of that? The good thing is that the areas are not large where the seams span. Plus that Aurucco Ply is really stiff already.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Beautiful job on all the steps up to now...

Just finished getting all caught up with your progress.

Absolutely perfect timing for me...as I am hoping to get the rest of the glassing done to the inner hull this coming weekend.

I want to get all of the stringers fully bedded and wrapped with CSM and 1708, plus get the entire inner hull laminated with 1708 and get the nailers permanently attached...

I can use a lot of the techniques and tips you have documented.

Thanks for taking the time to make the vids...I can really begin to appreciate how much time and effort it takes to produce them as I am just beginning my journey in learning how...;)

Looking forward to the next steps with much anticipation...

Have a great downhill slide to the week...:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great update Jay, thanks.......

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I know what you are talking about when you stated on how your heated your garage with curing resin. When I gel coated my deck I was laying on it doing some wiring the next day and was surprised on how warm it still was! Plus on the first coat of gel most of it started curing in the pan half through and had to be wasted.:facepalm: So we set it aside and started a different batch...well after a little bit of time that first batch started to smoke and had to be removed from the work area. We got a little paranoid after that I will say :eek:

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Swell if you put limber holes at least if any water does get in there it will have someway to escape. We've all seen how the old foam gets water logged so obviously water will flow thru the foam. Only difference is the water was trapped up against the shoddy fiberglass work from the factory with voids and holes exposing the bare wood.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Swell if you put limber holes at least if any water does get in there it will have someway to escape. We've all seen how the old foam gets water logged so obviously water will flow thru the foam. Only difference is the water was trapped up against the shoddy fiberglass work from the factory with voids and holes exposing the bare wood.
Actually, once the foam gets saturated the water will not "Drain" out or "Flow Thru" it. It just absorbs it like a sponge and can add hundred of pounds of weight to the boat.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, once the foam gets saturated the water will not "Drain" out or "Flow Thru" it. It just absorbs it like a sponge and can add hundred of pounds of weight to the boat.
Now I'm not being argumentative but would limber holes serve no purpose if the foam just absorbs any water that may get in there?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Let me buttinski here and throw out my 2?worth...

What I gather from it is IF water just sits there and has no place to drain, eventually it will be soaked up by the foam making it water-logged...
If a way for the water to drain into the bilge and then out of the boat via the pump or by pulling the plug, is made...either with limber holes or drain tubes of some kind, etc...then the water should not be able to soak into the foam...
The other side of the equation being what frisco has basically done, is to seal the compartment completely, thus preventing any water intrusion to begin with...as long as the integrity of the compartment remains intact, water should have no way to soak into the foam...

If, at some future time, somebody drills a hole into one of those sealed compartments and doesn't properly seal it up, then water may eventually find its way in there and possibly saturate the foam, being that no provision was made for drainage...

Does that make sense?

Friscoboater

Captain

Hey Guys updates are coming. Dad and I were talking yesterday and we had a thought. Should we go with gel coat and snap in carpet, or go with a old school glue in. With the seat pedestals we will be making, I am worried the carpet is not going to lay down right.

Please vote with the poll at the top of the page.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Gel coat if its in the budget Glue in carpet would be period correct but as we all know has the possibility to hold water in. Gel Coat would be an additional layer of sealing protection.

Friscoboater

Captain

That is what i was thinking 73. If it were my boat I would do snap in, but I wanted to see if people think I should keep it period correct.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Glue it in.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Glue it in. The way you sealed the deck the only way water will get to the wood in the deck is if the New Owner drills into it without sealing the holes.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I am with WOG on this. I believe you are over thinking it. You could always just lay carpet in with no glue and let the new owner decide what they want. I put the carpet in my Rebel with no glue 4 years ago with the intention of one day going back and gluing it at a later date. To this day it is still just laying in there.

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

I'm actually planning on doing gel coating with my carpet cut to fit and the edges finished. I hadn't thought about snaps but did consider velcro. I like the idea of removable when in storage or out tubing with the kids. That being said, I'm also redoing my boat to keep and enjoy for many years to come. I don't see a huge return on investment by gel coating the floor, for you.