Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Looks like you are making some great progress Jay! Having your Dad helping I'm sure is speeding things up....its amazing how much having an extra set of hands helps! Looking forward to seeing it with the cap back on,

Yes!!! Having my Dad here is great!

Friscoboater

Captain

Since we have some newcomers to the hobby, and do not know what Peanut Butter is, I am posting my old video on how to make it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just so ya know, this:
Since we have some newcomers to the hobby, and do not know what Peanut Butter is, I am posting my old video on how to make it....
is exactly why so many consider you to be a go to guy @ fiberglass work ;) And why you're absence between projects is noticed.....

I guess you're just gunna hafta quit the day job, family time & recreation of any kind....

Speaking of jobs, gotta go :sleeping:

Friscoboater

Captain

If I had my druthers I would work on boats more! The youtube ad money helps out, but I have a loooong way to go.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Watched your video and cannot beleive you find cabosil filled resin to be easy to sand. I always found it to be slightly harder then sanding rock maple, while microballon filled resin is like sanding balsa wood.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking great as usual FB, hope my pitifull project looks half as good.

esimmons92

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jay, when you were fiberglassing the bottom of the deck, why did you not go ahead and wrap it around to the top of the deck about 3 inches or so. If i remember corectly you did this on the transom to seal the end grains

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I find working with CSM a pain also. I did work with 1708 and woven a little and found it a much more enjoyable experience. CSM just gets all over everything and I found out that it doesn't like to bend at all, even on beveled surfaces. May have just been my novice experience though.

If I do another build I am going to spring for the 1708 more!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just getting all caught up with the great vids and your awesome progress...
As always, top notch info and thanks for taking the time to share...

Got a couple questions regarding the use of my new GoPro camera and would like to know if I could PM you about it...?

The only thing that I have found that helps CSM conform to radii better is to gently tug on it to sort of loosen the fibers before wetting it out...the other idea that has been put out there by "Woodonglass" is to use stick pins to hold it place while wetting it out, or you could tear the edges, leaving it frayed where it needs to conform to the radius, wetting it out, then doing the same with the adjoining piece, still gives a fair amount of strength, and it will get covered with 1708 afterwards, anyway...just a couple of cents worth...

Regards,
GT1M

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Might be a good place to mention that there is a difference in CSM for use with poly vs epoxy. It is the MEK used as a harder for poly resin that dissolves the styrene used to bind the CSM together prior to wetting it out. Epoxy does not use MEK as a hardener thus it never dissolves the binding agent in found in CSM for poly use. CSM designed for use with epoxy is bound by stitching not styrene. You can use CSM designed for poly with epoxy but it is much harder to work. This came to mind as others posted that CSM would not conform for them. Perhaps they are using epoxy resin and not poly.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/chopped-strand-mat-epoxy/

Friscoboater

Captain

Jay, when you were fiberglassing the bottom of the deck, why did you not go ahead and wrap it around to the top of the deck about 3 inches or so. If i remember corectly you did this on the transom to seal the end grains

The deck is only 1/2" thick and it would be just about impossible to wrap it around the deck and get it to lay down. I treated the end grains with resin and then all the PB that I used to glue the ends to the hull took care of any issues.

Just getting all caught up with the great vids and your awesome progress...
As always, top notch info and thanks for taking the time to share...

Got a couple questions regarding the use of my new GoPro camera and would like to know if I could PM you about it...?

The only thing that I have found that helps CSM conform to radii better is to gently tug on it to sort of loosen the fibers before wetting it out...the other idea that has been put out there by "Woodonglass" is to use stick pins to hold it place while wetting it out, or you could tear the edges, leaving it frayed where it needs to conform to the radius, wetting it out, then doing the same with the adjoining piece, still gives a fair amount of strength, and it will get covered with 1708 afterwards, anyway...just a couple of cents worth...

Regards,
GT1M

Just shoot me a PM o the go pro stuff. I have tried the stretching thing too, and it works ok, but it gets everywhere.

Might be a good place to mention that there is a difference in CSM for use with poly vs epoxy. It is the MEK used as a harder for poly resin that dissolves the styrene used to bind the CSM together prior to wetting it out. Epoxy does not use MEK as a hardener thus it never dissolves the binding agent in found in CSM for poly use. CSM designed for use with epoxy is bound by stitching not styrene. You can use CSM designed for poly with epoxy but it is much harder to work. This came to mind as others posted that CSM would not conform for them. Perhaps they are using epoxy resin and not poly.

WEST SYSTEM - Projects - Chopped stand mat & epoxy

Great points!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I know you are planning on selling her, but have you tossed around any names? I think picking the name is sometime the hardest part!

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know you are planning on selling her, but have you tossed around any names? I think picking the name is sometime the hardest part!

Wouldn't it be better to eave the naming part to the next owner?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm sure they will rename it, it always happens! But I'm guessing Frisco will want to put a few hours on her, and you have to name her if you do that! I forgot about Patrick's suggestion, lol!

Friscoboater

Captain

I'm sure they will rename it, it always happens! But I'm guessing Frisco will want to put a few hours on her, and you have to name her if you do that! I forgot about Patrick's suggestion, lol!

I am not sure I will name her or not. I really have not thought about it at all, but I guess it could be cool!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Honestly, I am not sure where the CSM fist thing came from. That was the whole point of 1708 is that fact that the CSM was stitched to the biax. I think the CSM first thing came from the days when guys used CSM and woven only. You would lay down CSM, them mat, then cam, then mat... and so on.

The only reason I can think of doing this now is to help even out a rough surface, and make it easier to lay down the thick 1708. Like bubbled PL glue or knots and low spots in the wood. 1708 is not really good for filling little voids like that, and the CSM would allow for some mistakes, or sloppy fillets. If you take your time and make everything smooth, the 1708 goes down perfect.

Like I have said before, it is very easy to over think a build. Just look how these boats were built 15 years ago. We are doing lightyears better work that, and we need to remember that.

One more ting to remember. CSM eats up TONS of resin, and that adds up on the weight!
The CSM stitched to the back of 1708 biax is approx. .75 oz. A lot of people, including me, think this is not adequate for creating a good bond, especially on the first layer attached to the wood and glass hull. I still and will always recommend the added CSM to ensure a proper bond. Having said that, I have no documented evidence that NOT using it leads to de-lamination or failure of the bond. Like I said, Just my preference and lot of others. OOPS was a BIG proponent of doing it this way. I believe he picked this up from ondarvr. As always, It's your boat and your choice. I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Jay, I finally got all the way through this thread. Sweet project man! I'll be following along from here on.

boaterbuoy1771

Recruit

"If I had my druthers I would work on boats more! The youtube ad money helps out, but I have a loooong way to go. "

Jay - have you thought about a TV show Boat Restoration? I sent email to Leftfield Pictures in the past. Let me know if you are interested.