Staff member
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

It's been a bit, so I don't recall the seat status for the CVX

This may be a valuable resource, if so great, if un-needed no problem
smile.gif

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've been poring over your rebuilds lately as I've just (reluctantly) begun my own rebuild, with no knowledge of fiberglassing. The help these threads gives someone like me is fantastic!

I find it curious that you are using pine 2x__ material for the stringers. I've read constantly to use "non directional ply" because it is stronger for stringers. Do you have any other comments on that? 2x6's are cheap.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

ditto ;)

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've been poring over your rebuilds lately as I've just (reluctantly) begun my own rebuild, with no knowledge of fiberglassing. The help these threads gives someone like me is fantastic!

I find it curious that you are using pine 2x__ material for the stringers. I've read constantly to use "non directional ply" because it is stronger for stringers. Do you have any other comments on that? 2x6's are cheap.

Its often recomended to replace what comes out with the same material. Reasoning is that stress can be transefreed to another area when strengths are changed in a way that's not easiliy predictable. Plywood is more absorbent due to its end grain being the most absorbent and running in 2 directions.

In reality its sort of the Ford Vs Chevy type thing. Installation practices and sealing the wood are just as important as wood rot resistasnce and strength in my opinion. The experts may have more to add.

Friscoboater

Captain

Actually it is not pine, it is Fir, and it depends on the boat. The shallow bottom boats usually all have lumber for the two main stringers. At least most of the Glastrons do. Actually your strength comes from your glass work, and there are several boats that have foam for stringers covered in glass. I would not build my house with a foam stud, but I would use pine :)

The way I look at the stringers is if you have really tall stringers, you use ply for that.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well, it has been a couple of weeks since my last update. We had alot a rain a couple of weeks ago, and something happened to the internet line in my area. you could browse the internet, but you could not upload a large file. They finally got it fixed, and I have been trying to get caught up.

So when we last left off I had just got my Us Composites order in and we were just about to start tabbing in the transom. I put two overlapping tabs of 1708, skinned it with two layers of 1708 and the a final coat of CSM to make it pretty. I then glues the stringers in the hull with PL, made my fillets with PB, and put two layers of 1708 over each stringer. I went ahead and did the PB fillets again because it is fast. It takes alot more resin to do this (1.5 gallons), but it sure makes it easy, and it cures in an hour. I was also able to get the stringers covered in one layup, instead of tabbing them in and then adding a cap. It is really hard to do it this way, but it sure looks cool. Once that was done we measures out the deck with 1/2" foam to get the fit correct and then cut the deck out of high grade A/C exterior ply. We then coated the back of the deck with CSM and glued and screwed this entire thing down. We then put down more PB around the edges and the seams to join the deck to the hull.

After all of that, I ran out of 1708 and I could not do the tabbing for the deck until I got more 1708 from US composites. So you will have to wait till next time for that update.

So on to the fun stuff... pictures and video.

I installed a new style Drain instead of the old mushroom style.

file-1533.jpg

Here you can see how I did the drain to keep water off the bottom of the transom. This is just a piece of PVC that is glued to the drain, and then I filled in around it with PB

file-759.jpg

Tabbing in the Transom

file-1647.jpg

Two overlapping layers of 1708 for strength.

file-2462.jpg

I used PL just to glue the stringers in, and then held them down with some weight.

file-254.jpg

My son decided he wanted to start helping on this project. He really wants me to restore a car, but I told him he needs to show some interest in learning all the other skills needed first. You know "wax on, wax off"! So he started to come around and asking to help. Thats my boy! I think it will have to be a car next time guys.

file-820.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

I had to use a 2X4 screwed to the center stringer to hold it straight.

file-1836.jpg

Here is a good shot of the stringers getting glassed

file-1883.jpg

file-2374.jpg

This little bugger was a PIA! I finally got the glass to lay down all around it.

file-2136.jpg

Here is the foam board that we used to make templates. This tuff is waaaay cheaper that that PLY.

file-241.jpg

Getting closer!

file-2021.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

One we got it just the way we wanted it, we could cut the deck

file-2329.jpg

This wood I found sure is pretty.

file-2174.jpg

file-809.jpg

We then pulled out the deck and coated it with CSM, and I glued and screwed a 2X2 that was saturated in resin to provide a "cleat" to screw too.

file-1094.jpg

I screwed the deck down with SS screws coated in 3m 5200, and then went around with PB to fill all the gaps and glue it to the hull.

file-1256.jpg

file-2254.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

So onto all the videos

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, I see this CVX sticking around thru his high school years....

Lots of guys in high school got cars. Some even helped bring them back to operable. Not many got sleek retro glass boats, and very few will have helped work on them..

Great looking work in the update!

Friscoboater

Captain

Yeah, I see this CVX sticking around thru his high school years....

Lots of guys in high school got cars. Some even helped bring them back to operable. Not many got sleek retro glass boats, and very few will have helped work on them..

Great looking work in the update!

Very true. He wants to work on a car so bad it hurts. He will get his chance soon.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, cars.... Mine was trucks, still is actually... Texas should yield lots of good candidates when the time comes......

Depending on what you all are looking for, it may not be too soon to keep an eye open....

Too bad the storage auctions didn't uncover any buried gems......

Nice work.....

Friscoboater

Captain

Yeah, cars.... Mine was trucks, still is actually... Texas should yield lots of good candidates when the time comes......

Depending on what you all are looking for, it may not be too soon to keep an eye open....

Too bad the storage auctions didn't uncover any buried gems......

Nice work.....

We are actually looking for a late 60s early 70s C-10 pickup. Most are rusty beyond belief, and I hate metal working! I can do body work, I just hate welding and grinding.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On my dory build I used epoxy, which made sense since I had a plywood hull skinned in glass. I have a Sea Ray I will be redoing this spring, watching you I think I am going to convert over to poly for that job. It will be so nice to be able to finish up the fillets at the seams and just wait an hour then get at it with the glass tape. I had to do work in the morning, wait until the evening and then do the glass work. Most times it ended up being one step a day.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

We are actually looking for a late 60s early 70s C-10 pickup. Most are rusty beyond belief, and I hate metal working! I can do body work, I just hate welding and grinding.

Thats funny, I watch your videos thinking my god how does he do all that glass work!!

I can weld all day and grind all night and I am a happy camper!!

Great job Jay, no surprise at all!!