Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

Happy New Year Jay. Seems I'm late to the build party. At the rate you are going, you'll need to pick up another project to get you through the winter. Love the new project. When it's finished you are going to have a tough time letting it go without putting a season or two into it. Going to be a sweet ride. Instead of selling it outright maybe iboats will allow an on line auction through their boat sales area so all of us members can have a shot of having this parked oin our driveway. The new owner certainly won't have to worry about purchasing an older boat with a slew of problems.
A tip from my dad, a carpenter by trade for most of his working years while he was with us. Drawing two pieces of wood for glue adhesion using a screw with full thread doesn't work because the thread imbeded into each piece of wood holds it steady with the center void intact. To draw the two pieces together use a dome top screw with a large flat washer and half thread. This way the upper half of the screw is smooth and will pull the lower sheet towards the upper sheet. This will lessen oozing over the drying time, shorten drying time, and allow maximum adhesion.
Keep up the excellent work. From now on I think I will check the thread more often. That way I can avoid spending an entire evening just getting caught up.
By the way, where did you find your angle measuring tool? I'd like to get one. It's a better setup than what I am using.

Friscoboater

Captain

I hear what you are saying on the screws for sure. All I used them for was to hold the clamp force once I had the clamps in place. That way I could take the clamps off for a bit and cut the transom to size. Because it was such a small transom all I needed were the clamps... and the screws were just extra help. Thanks for the tip.

I got that tool at Northern Tool I believe, and it works awesome!

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I got all my goddies from US-compisites this week.

10 Gal of 435 Resin
25 yards of 1.5 OZ CSM
10 Yards of 1705
4 gallon of Cabosil
a bunch of chop strand filler
2 16 cubic ft foam kits

Now I just have to get it all in the boat.

file-1983.jpg

file-200.jpg

file-199.jpg

jsturvey

Seaman

Hi Jay,

As a loyal follower of your projects you're bad for my night's rest ;) Love what you do with that little boat. Good luck and happy buildings ;)

Martin
Agreed! It's almost inspired me to find a boat to restore (because I know I can do it), but my wife would kill me. Guess I'll just have to keep working on the boat I already have. :)

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

for the engine area enamel you might want to check out Massey Ferguson gray they sell it by the gallon/pint at tractor supply and it sounds like it might be the color your after, and at your going rate I need to tow my cheetah to you and just let you finish it lol.

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wouldn't be interested in selling the elbows off of the risers from the donor engine would you? my po couldn't find mine so i need to track some down

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay,

Would there be an advantage to cutting the keyhole slightly larger and then fiberglassing over the inside perimeter in order to keep any water from penetrating it if the sealant between the outdrive housing and the transom failed at some point?

Friscoboater

Captain

You cannot cut too much larger as you will be close to the bolt holes. I am going to create a little trough at the bottom that will allow the water to drain, and I usually put a little coat f csm on there before I am done. I need to test fit the transom assembly first.

Friscoboater

Captain

wouldn't be interested in selling the elbows off of the risers from the donor engine would you? my po couldn't find mine so i need to track some down

I might. Let me make sure I do not need them

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class

You cannot cut too much larger as you will be close to the bolt holes. I am going to create a little trough at the bottom that will allow the water to drain, and I usually put a little coat f csm on there before I am done. I need to test fit the transom assembly first.

I forgot how much thickness a layer of fiberglass would add. Seem like it was around 1/4" from your video.

Seems like every later 1980s Sea Ray I look at has a transom that is either rotten or has high moisture content in the transom.

a1999ponyboy

Seaman Apprentice

hey there i saw your video of you unboxing your supplys from us composets. do you think that is all you are going to need to complete the boat? can you list the shopping list of supplys and the total cost.

Friscoboater

Captain

hey there i saw your video of you unboxing your supplys from us composets. do you think that is all you are going to need to complete the boat? can you list the shopping list of supplys and the total cost.

Actually I just ran out of 1708. I am a little behind in getting things updated here, but I have to order more.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I forgot how much thickness a layer of fiberglass would add. Seem like it was around 1/4" from your video.

Seems like every later 1980s Sea Ray I look at has a transom that is either rotten or has high moisture content in the transom.

One layer or resin and mat will be more like 1/16". Add a layer of 1708 and resin and you'd get just about an 1/8". To get 1/4" you'd need about 3 layers of Mat and 1708.

Friscoboater

Captain

Wood is correct.

Big updates with pictures and video coming to the thread.

sprintst

Commander

You almost make me want to do a glasser. Looking as solid as a rock man.

baloo6049

Cadet

Hey Jay, Boat is looking good. I watched all your videos on the sea ray and just new you could not stay away.... Actually it was part way through your sea ray restoration that it motivated me to do start my own boat restoration. I have been working on an 89 sea ray 160 that has been going slow but it is coming along. I posted some pics of it out here on iboats a few months ago. I have been a spectator for a while and I just thought I would tell you thanks, because your videos keep me motivated to work on my boat too.

RCrockett

Seaman

Hi Jay, I think i may have a touch of what you have. Because of you videos I jumped right in the "fun" and have started my own restoration. too bad I live in Maine and do not have a heated garage or I would be out there working on it today. Your videos keep me motivated. Keep up the great work, I will enjoy the ride!

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jay, looks like you are getting this down path. I watched your Sea Ray project on Youtube and then found this one on Youtube. At the rate you are going your next project should be gutted and back together in a month. Your videos (and Rotor5150 on youtube) have made me want to restore the inside of my 1973 Searay 240 weekender. The structural building back up with wood and glass never worried me, I have built boats from scratch before, it was tearing everything out, including pulling the engines. Seeing how you do this and prep for the install has given me the push to do it. Will be starting in spring, once I finish the center console and get the engine issues worked out in the dory.