Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Glue in

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Friscoboater's 1986 Glastron Carlson CVX-18 Complete restoration thread

I love this little tool. It allows me to find the angle of anything and transfer it over to what needs to be cut.

file-184.jpg

You just loosen up the thumb screw, push it in place, tighten the screw, and then transfer it to your wood. This allowed me to get the right angle for the bottom of the transom, so it would hug the hull.

file-177.jpg

We also replaced the cap screw strip all the way around. We used PL to glue it in, and will go back over it with resin to give it some protection.

file-181.jpg

Dad came up with this idea. We made little cuts to allow it to go around the corner. We then put PL glue in the cuts for strength.

file-180.jpg

file-179.jpg

I then used the old stringers to make the new ones

file-174.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

The center stringer is much taller than the other two and i will cut it to height when i get it glued in the boat. You can see the mock transom I had in the back to push the stringers up against.

file-186.jpg

I beveled the edges of this transom to see if it makes it easier to lay glass over. If anything it looks cool. I also took the drain hole idea from the Sea Ray, and I am using it here. I am not going to use a brass drain tube, I am using a screw in garboard drain. I will attache a small bit of PVC pipe to it and then encase the area in PB. It will make since later. This will protect the bottom part of the transom from rot.

file-187.jpg

file-188.jpg

file-189.jpg

When you put it up to the skin to trace out the key hole you want to space it up about 1/8" to 1/4" off the hull (hence the stir sticks) to allow your PL glue or PB to "bed" the transom. You do not want the wood right on the hull.

file-193.jpg

I then Slathered on a good layer of PL glue and used a Notch Trowel to spread it out, and then stuck it. I use 2X4 wood turned on end to clamp the transom.

file-194.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

file-195.jpg

Yes, I signed it. I think the fumes were getting to me.

file-2243.jpg

So here is about an hour of video to kill some time

Friscoboater

Captain

Here is some information on boat rot, and why it usually is never an easy fix.

Friscoboater

Captain

I got alot of questions about why I do what I do, and so I made this video on what we will be doing and why.

Friscoboater

Captain

Here is just a fun video. We got about 4 inches of snow here is Dallas on Christmas Day. So my son and I went out to have some fun.

chriscraft254

Commander

Man it almost looks like you know what your doing, hehe :) Just read through this. Great boat to restore man, have always loved the nothing but sexy lines of these boats.

I agree on the original gel. You will probably feel like you accomplished more by restoring the original than you would by giving her a paint job, not to mention the cost savings.

Chupacabra would be my vote for the name. :)

New gauges is a must have with some cool led rgb lights that I know you must be planning on installing later!! :eagerness: Great thread man, haven't had time to look through the videos yet, but great job so far.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man. I love playing around in the snow like that. But I'm sure you must have edited out the OH S#!* parts when you got carried away and ran up the curbs right!:faint2: Ha ha.:lol: Anyways makin good progress on the CVX. Oh by the way the bevel cut on the transom will surely make it easier to round the glass over. Nice job

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love the project. I enjoyed watching the video's.
How come the kid never got to drive lol

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amazing progress. It's almost like you have done this before. :D My Dremel Multimax died too in the beginning of my demo. I replaced it with a Bosch Multi tool and I am very pleased with the Bosch.

That old carpet glue can be a PITA. The only thing that will take it off, short of a grinder, is MEK (not mekp.)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

J your video library keeps getting better! If someone can't do a full retore after watching these they have no buisness owning a boat. Great work so far by you and your Dad. Oh and if you realy want to see some dounut action come to Ohio right about now it's a everyday occurance on purpose or not!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like the "build" part is moving along nicely! I usually just use a brush on my glass work and a bubble buster. But it looks like that roller works pretty good on large surfaces. What kind of roller is it, looks like a short nap type. Do you clean them or just toss them after each use? Did you use a bubble buster on that or just the roller?

chriscraft254

Commander

I use the same type rollers pads, they can be found at lowes or home depot in bulk packages pretty cheap, so just throw away when done and clean the roller with acetone. I prefer the pink pads from lowes, they seem to not fall apart.

How much thickness did the pl glue add after the transom was clamped? Just a note, its a good idea when using pl glue to coat both surfaces your glueing up for an insured bond. It lets you work the glue into both pieces and then the glue bonds to the glue when pressed into place. Don't think you will ever have an issue, just the way I like to do it. ;)

Friscoboater

Captain

Amazing progress. It's almost like you have done this before. :D My Dremel Multimax died too in the beginning of my demo. I replaced it with a Bosch Multi tool and I am very pleased with the Bosch.

That old carpet glue can be a PITA. The only thing that will take it off, short of a grinder, is MEK (not mekp.)

Yep, I used MEK on the Sea ray, and it worked great.

J your video library keeps getting better! If someone can't do a full retore after watching these they have no buisness owning a boat. Great work so far by you and your Dad. Oh and if you realy want to see some dounut action come to Ohio right about now it's a everyday occurance on purpose or not!

We had a blast doing the donuts. Snow is only about a twice a year thing here in Dallas, and I get sick of it after about 2 hours.

Looks like the "build" part is moving along nicely! I usually just use a brush on my glass work and a bubble buster. But it looks like that roller works pretty good on large surfaces. What kind of roller is it, looks like a short nap type. Do you clean them or just toss them after each use? Did you use a bubble buster on that or just the roller?

I like those little rollers. I have little chip brushed too, but I use those more when laying up the stringers. I did not use a bubble buster, but I might get one.

I use the same type rollers pads, they can be found at lowes or home depot in bulk packages pretty cheap, so just throw away when done and clean the roller with acetone. I prefer the pink pads from lowes, they seem to not fall apart.

How much thickness did the pl glue add after the transom was clamped? Just a note, its a good idea when using pl glue to coat both surfaces your glueing up for an insured bond. It lets you work the glue into both pieces and then the glue bonds to the glue when pressed into place. Don't think you will ever have an issue, just the way I like to do it. ;)

It added a 16th of an inch. I used a larger notch trowel this time, and when I put the two halves tother I buttered both sides. I lost about a half tube when I clamped it. So i did not want to add alot of thickness and therefore I only did one side.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Jay,

As a loyal follower of your projects you're bad for my night's rest ;) Love what you do with that little boat. Good luck and happy buildings ;)

Martin