Forum update

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am having trouble organizing the post in each of the individual forums with the newest posts on top. I tried the filters and it didn't seem to work. Hints?
I think I understand your question.

The newest posts are always on top, but since we haven't yet color coded stuck posts like the old forum, It's difficult to distinguish between stuck and regular posts. The newest posts are under the stuck posts.

We are used to zooming past the yellow stickies, but until we get the color coding in place, we'll have to watch for the almost invisible tack on stuck posts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I think I understand your question.

The newest posts are always on top, but since we haven't yet color coded stuck posts like the old forum, It's difficult to distinguish between stuck and regular posts. The newest posts are under the stuck posts.

We are used to zooming past the yellow stickies, but until we get the color coding in place, we'll have to watch for the almost invisible tack on stuck posts.
Ahhhh...you are right. I didn't notice that before. I guess it's ok after all

GA_Boater

Ahhhh...you are right. I didn't notice that before. I guess it's ok after all
It got me too until I began to recognize the thread titles as stickies.

We have work to do on the dirty word censor too. 🔨

southkogs

Staff member
I missed that too. Still have to work to see it! Thanks GA.

The Force power

Commander
I find the more you "play around" with the new set-up; the more you get familiar with it and will like it!
You CAN teach an old dog (me) new tricks
Again thank you to all the guys that put in the hard labor to make this all possible

ONE question;

How do you quote someone words?

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
2 issues:
1. Clicking on photos on a phone (mine at least using 2 browsers) results in a super zoom that you can't move around. Opening the image in a new tab is a work around.
2. Unable to see who made the last post in a thread (on phone again). Same issue for a long time with VB. Browsing in desktop mode works, but tough to read on a phone

GA_Boater

I missed that too. Still have to work to see it! Thanks GA.

We need the color coding like :censored: version had.

2 issues:
1. Clicking on photos on a phone (mine at least using 2 browsers) results in a super zoom that you can't move around. Opening the image in a new tab is a work around.
2. Unable to see who made the last post in a thread (on phone again). Same issue for a long time with VB. Browsing in desktop mode works, but tough to read on a phone

Smartphones are harder to manipulate than PC's in forums. Usually customization is needed to handle all the constantly changing OS versions .

Back to your question - Can you pinch the image to make it smaller? Did this happen with the old forum?

On your phone or a PC, in a list of threads clicking on the time of the last reply zips you to the latest post in the thread. To see all the new posts in a thread, click the thread title, then click Jump to new above the first post and it zips to the first unread post. If it's only a matter of not being able to read the last posters name, you should be able to pinch to increase the size.

I don't use a phone for cruising forums, only to call the Admiral for shopping list updates. :giggle: But all my tablets work with the pinching. Hope this helps, Mike.

We worked with the new forum for months, but you guys are better testers than us. For example, we missed how censoring works, t i t le should not be censored to title. 🤦‍♂️

nola mike

Vice Admiral
We need the color coding like :censored: version had.

Smartphones are harder to manipulate than PC's in forums. Usually customization is needed to handle all the constantly changing OS versions .

Back to your question - Can you pinch the image to make it smaller? Did this happen with the old forum?

On your phone or a PC, in a list of threads clicking on the time of the last reply zips you to the latest post in the thread. To see all the new posts in a thread, click the thread ***le, then click Jump to new above the first post and it zips to the first unread post. If it's only a matter of not being able to read the last posters name, you should be able to pinch to increase the size.
🤦‍♂️
Pinching/panning don't work at all if you click the link. Opening in a new tab it behaves as it should. No, it didn't work correctly before. I like to see who made the last reply in a thread for whatever reason, and you can see that in desktop mode and on a computer. VB worked at one point for that, but broke a long time ago. Jump to isn't bad either, just nit picking at this point. Overall big improvement 👍

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Well, I'm still loving the new forum look and functionality and I say a big THANK YOU to all the mods and developers and admins that have been working to make the changes. iBoats doing away with the VB software is the best thing to happen so far in 2020!

I appreciate the tip for identifying stickies by looking for the thumbtack logo. Is there anything similar to identify threads for which I'm current (i.e., no new posts)? In looking at the thread listing in a forum, I can't seem to figure out which threads have new material since I was here last. Am I missing something, or is that on the to-do list (which I am sure is quite long!)?

Again, thanks to everyone for improving the forums!

aspeck

Staff member
Well, I'm still loving the new forum look and functionality and I say a big THANK YOU to all the mods and developers and admins that have been working to make the changes. iBoats doing away with the VB software is the best thing to happen so far in 2020!

I appreciate the tip for identifying stickies by looking for the thumbtack logo. Is there anything similar to identify threads for which I'm current (i.e., no new posts)? In looking at the thread listing in a forum, I can't seem to figure out which threads have new material since I was here last. Am I missing something, or is that on the to-do list (which I am sure is quite long!)?

Again, thanks to everyone for improving the forums!
Thank you for sticking with us through all the downs (was going to say ups and downs, but I couldn't think of any ups) of the VB updates!
As of now, the only way to know what has been posted since you last visited iboats is the "New Posts" listing. There is a line across where the new posts ends and the old posts begin.

1602602700801.png

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks, aspeck. I normally don't use the new topics feature, as I don't follow all the forums, just a handful, but I may have to start. I do hope the future includes some way to look at a topics in a forum and know which ones I'm caught up on.

Thanks again!

GA_Boater

@JASinIL2006

Jas - One of the many difficulties is trying to make a new forum work for you the same way the old one did. It's only been 4 days and I keep looking for the symbol that says a thread has new posts. Old habits are hard to change, but we are far ahead of when we did the major update in the old forum. You joined in 2012 and may have missed some of that - I hope you did. It was a miserable time that stretched on and on.

To your question - This is the closest I can come up with to show posts you haven't looked at.

Clicking on New Posts under Home shows all new unread posts in the entire forum. Show Only Unread is the default filter and with the forum section under the title, this may help you. The circled Filters allows you to build a saveable custom filter.

I only snipped the top part of the page and the end of new posts line is just out of sight. One thing I never use in any forum is the Mark Forums Read. in fact if you click it, a warning pops up. I did try it once and why I don't use it is because it's like starting from scratch and makes finding anything painful until more New posts are made.

newunread.png

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I remember the switch to the last version of VB and what a mess that was, and this change has gone so much better. I'm really impressed how functional everything is, especially given that the board moved to a different platform. It's been pretty impressive to see.

I'm happy to learn new ways to get the same (or nearly same) results, so I'll try your method to ID new posts. Mainly I just wanted to voice something I'd like to see, it it's possible. If it is possible, I don't mind waiting and if it's not, I can live with that too. The board is already so much better than it was under the last version of VB!