Fm161 1985

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Fm161 1985

Actually it was more about use the Marine-Tex since you order some, the talc was just another reason...

train

Seaman Apprentice

Actually it was more about use the Marine-Tex since you order some, the talc was just another reason...
I did get some marine tex. most of that got applied to the inside of the transom metal. Seems to be very good stuff. Very stiff before mixing and, still not set up two days later. The instructions did say that a thin layer will take a very long time to set. The shop is about 60 to 65 degrees so, not a surprise. The spots where it oozed out of bolt holes etc got very hard. I didn't think I would have enough to do the transom wood too so I only did one little spot. Doesn't seem to agree with the spar very well surprisingly. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks jb

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

What did you end up doing about your transom? If your still deciding and just moved on to something else. I say put the chipped side against the transom, the nice side in toward the splashwell and call it good. Caped off, drilled bolted and walk away without a bunch of work for nothing but cosmetics that you can't see.

train

Seaman Apprentice

What did you end up doing about your transom? If your still deciding and just moved on to something else. I say put the chipped side against the transom, the nice side in toward the splashwell and call it good. Caped off, drilled bolted and walk away without a bunch of work for nothing but cosmetics that you can't see.

transom wood turned out well. Inside the transome aluminum I put Marinetex as stated previously and, Gluvit over that. I am very impressed with both products. Good advice from this site! Took a wire wheel to the aluminum for the splashwell side of the transom and, it turned to swiss cheese. Too many holes to fix. My buddy got me some .062 aluminum. Just cut the new piece tonight. I'm considering bonding the aluminum to the wood before I install. I think it may be easier. not sure yet.

train

Seaman Apprentice

Made good progress today. Got the ply cut for main deck and front deck.
P1050732_zps910dd904.jpg
P1050736_zpsbd898d1d.jpg

New front battery box. Couldnt fit two....
And for kicks.. this is the "carpet" that was in the boat that started this rehab......
P1050731_zpsb8ed4c79.jpg

We called it the putting green

Watermann

That is a serious repair for your aluminum transom. I have read about guys here who bond a new piece on the outside. Inside sounds like a good fix too I guess the key either way would be if you can seal it between the new and old otherwise it would leak or get wet in between and start corroding again.

FOUR! .... Did you get 3/4 marine ply for your bottom decks? That is some great looking wood. I still haven't got my ply for the bottom deck but I think I'm going 5/8. Great to see your progress while multi tasking... on the rebuild while still repairing!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Good Work - Sounds like your transom was really corroded... Post up some pics, so we can see what you are talking about...

Are you talking about the splashwell facing side of the main transom, or that little metal brack that goes on the inside of the "wood" and ties into the splashwell structure... If its the latter, I just discarded that piece and so did Jasoutside...

train

Seaman Apprentice

Good Work - Sounds like your transom was really corroded... Post up some pics, so we can see what you are talking about...

Are you talking about the splashwell facing side of the main transom, or that little metal brack that goes on the inside of the "wood" and ties into the splashwell structure... If its the latter, I just discarded that piece and so did Jasoutside...

The pix are on #2 of the transom corrosion. That is the actual "back of the boat".
The new aluminum I got is for the splashwell side of the transom. The transom is sandwiched between the metal on the back and, a piece of metal on the slashwell side. The interior(splashwell) side was corroded through in MANY places. So it is being replaced. I will post pix as I progress.

train

Seaman Apprentice

That is a serious repair for your aluminum transom. I have read about guys here who bond a new piece on the outside. Inside sounds like a good fix too I guess the key either way would be if you can seal it between the new and old otherwise it would leak or get wet in between and start corroding again.

FOUR! .... Did you get 3/4 marine ply for your bottom decks? That is some great looking wood. I still haven't got my ply for the bottom deck but I think I'm going 5/8. Great to see your progress while multi tasking... on the rebuild while still repairing!

The ply was special order from Menards. I am very pleased with the quality. I got a sheet of 1/2 for the main deck and, two sheets of 3/4 for the front deck and rear casting deck. The main deck is A; very small once the other decks are in and, B; completely supported by existing DRY foam. The original main deck was 1/2" and was very sound after almost 30 yrs with the exception of one small spot. The front deck and transom had been replaced with the dreaded treated ply.

train

Seaman Apprentice

New hatches, etc all sealed and ready to go.
P1050740_zpsf5fff314.jpg

P1050741_zps28f8b0e1.jpg

New 6' x 3" aluminum hinges purchased on line. I will break an offset into these and punch holes.
P1050745_zps0264416d.jpg

Aluminum pocket for upper rear deck tube frame to rest in.
P1050746_zpsb781522d.jpg

And finally, the Nautolex.

P1050737_zps2f753edb.jpg

P1050744_zps22978054.jpg

I can't stress enough how sharp the nautolex is! Really great looking stuff. The small swatch I had definitely did not do justice.
Once I unrolled it, I knew I had made the right choice. I hope it holds up cause, it looks fantastic

Watermann

Great progress on the decks train! I'm sure the flooring will hold up to foot traffic and weather better than paint like some use but not as easy to repair. I'm still in the hull up position in the garage but making headway.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Train,

Wonderful. It is rewarding when something turns out so much better than you thought eh.

train

Seaman Apprentice

Train,

Wonderful. It is rewarding when something turns out so much better than you thought eh.

Thanks guys!
Streetgang, I have'nt forgotten your catolog. Cant do pdf but, I will gladly print and mail if you would like. Not a problem

train

Seaman Apprentice

Great progress on the decks train! I'm sure the flooring will hold up to foot traffic and weather better than paint like some use but not as easy to repair. I'm still in the hull up position in the garage but making headway.

watermann,I have a sister that lives your way......... I may have to come manage your refrigerator door for you!

Watermann

watermann,I have a sister that lives your way......... I may have to come manage your refrigerator door for you!

Bring your thirst for great German beer!

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys!
Streetgang, I have'nt forgotten your catolog. Cant do pdf but, I will gladly print and mail if you would like. Not a problem

Thank you for the kind offer. Will pass for now.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Train,

I am assuming Boone Gr is in IN so do you go up to the big lake or inland ?

You havent snuck of and launched that thing yet have you? We still have iceburgs floating around on Erie.

train

Seaman Apprentice

Train,

I am assuming Boone Gr is in IN so do you go up to the big lake or inland ?

You havent snuck of and launched that thing yet have you? We still have iceburgs floating around on Erie.

Streetgang, we still have ice here too. The boat lived on one inland lake last summer. Likely will most of this season as well. Don't have much interest in the big lake.
I've been working on the boat, just havn't taken pix. I will try to post pix of the progress. Got another package of boat stuff from ups today so, progress continues...........