Fm161 1985

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fm161 1985

Depending on how you build that deck, maybe, maybe not, eh;)

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'd probably be more comfortable with a permanant tank, one you can fill while standing outside the boat.

The iboats store has a good price on a 13 ga. plastic tank that would probably fit below your deck nicely.

13 Gallon Permanent Boat Fuel Tank, 32"L X 10.19"W X 10.19H - Moeller 032513 - iboats

Same tank, lower price. Luckily Iboats will price match. Always good to shop around but still shop Iboats if able.

Moeller 13 Gallon Below Deck Permanent Marine Fuel Tank from Wholesale Marine

64osby

Admiral

As I'm thinking ahead on this project I realize that now my fuel tank will be under the rear casting deck. does this mean I need a tank designed for below deck installation? I currently only have portables which are plenty big for my needs.

If there is room to slide them in and out for filling and they meet your needs stick with them. They are a lot easier to maintain and clean out than a permanent tank. My .02.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Yes I did. The wood has been replaced and is in great shape. Problem is, its treated! Already tore it out. Marine ply on the way.
Man, that stuff sure eats that aluminum!

Nice looking boat you have there train, and a nice big shop to work in too!

Just a note about your transom and the treated ply you took out, my transom was a green treated ply (original) in good shape too but it had left a white nasty corroded mess on the aluminum.

Got you added now.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, pretty much standard procedure for that type problem.

Painting that after you skim it will prevent any future pitting, the pitting is caused by trapped water between the wood and aluminum... it's called galvanic corrosion.

Yeah, my transom had a lot of pitting as well... You can see the "healthy" application of JB weld in the pic below. Sanded that down, sprayed on some rust inhibitor, then some primer over that... Looks as good as new..

9_3_12_boatcleanandJBweld.jpg

Watermann

Great progress, your already on the rebuild road. One might say your tearing into that SN like a bum on a baloney sandwich!

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beauty
SN need to stick together so just have to wrap my hands around this bum baloney thingy

train

Seaman Apprentice

The boat stays in the water on the same lake most of the summer so, a tank I can pull out and take with me to refuel is a plus.
And like 64osby said, easier to clean out. I am however concerned about venting and fume buildup. More decisions!
I ordered marine tex to skim the transom aluminum. Is that a good way to go?
In the meantime, I have another switch plate to make a new face for. I will try to incorporate the Sea Nymph logo like I did on the 1st one

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Just curious... Can you provide some more detail on how you customized that switch plate with the SN logo?

Thanks,

Watermann

Just curious... Can you provide some more detail on how you customized that switch plate with the SN logo?

Yes please, I second that SN logo request. In a vector would be nice to have for graphic building.

Here is the section about fuel system / ventilation from the USCG boatbuilders handbook. If your new casting deck has an open area to fresh air then you should be good.

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/vent_partf.aspx

train

Seaman Apprentice

Watermann, thanks for the info! I will have an open area where the deck meets the splashwell.

The switch plate started out as a generic one from bass.
images.jpg
The more I looked at it, the more I disliked it.
So I unsoldered everything and removed switches etc. Then flipped it over, softened the edges a little and, shined up the bare aluminum.
I then scanned the plate into the paint program that comes with every windows pc.
Found some cool logos etc on the net and applied. then picked a font for the lettering. printed on plain paper to test fit.
I then printed on transparent sticky label material.
P1050727_zpsbe9ae35c.jpg
Then cut slightly larger than the plate and applied rolling out the air bubbles as I went. I wrapped the extra material over to the back to make sure it stays put. then numerous coats of clear. ended up like this;
P1050719_zps71a27c4d.jpg

My only concern is how it will hold up to the sun. We'll see

train

Seaman Apprentice

Coated the inside of the transom metal with marine tex. They recomend measuring with a spoon. REALLY? Very thick! Once mixed, like drywall mud. Did I mention I HATE working with drywall mud! I think it should work though. Then I plan to Gluvit over the whole thing.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I used Marine-Tex on some of the dents on my aluminum hull. So far, I'm happy with it.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Train,

Very nice stuff. Watching some progress is rewarding for me right now as the white stuff is driving me nuts.

May I ask a favor please. If the catalog you scanned is available in pdf format could you email it to me? If a pain no worries mate.

And a question. With the nickname of train and then the large amount of keys on your belt, do you work for the RR ? I did for about 7 years in the wayback and had to have some keys, that is for sure. Tried to see if there was a switch key but not clear. Just curious.

Hats off on the switch plate creativity!

train

Seaman Apprentice

Train,

Very nice stuff. Watching some progress is rewarding for me right now as the white stuff is driving me nuts.

May I ask a favor please. If the catalog you scanned is available in pdf format could you email it to me? If a pain no worries mate.

And a question. With the nickname of train and then the large amount of keys on your belt, do you work for the RR ? I did for about 7 years in the wayback and had to have some keys, that is for sure. Tried to see if there was a switch key but not clear. Just curious.

Hats off on the switch plate creativity!

Thanks for the kind words Streetgang. We have some white stuff here too so, I'm Really enjoying the new shop. Well, its a couple years old but, this is the first winter I finally got the heating system up and running.
The name is one I got in high school back in the stone age. I do commercial heating/air/sheet metal and the keys are for various control rooms, boiler rooms etc.
I will see what I can do about getting you the catalog. I don't have the faintest idea how to do the pdf thing but I'm willing to try.
I'm really lame with computer stuff. If worse comes to worst, I'll Print it and mail it to you. I'll see if my son can help me. cheers

train

Seaman Apprentice

So, the marine ply was slightly too thick for the transom. Thought maybe I could make it work. Wrong. Too much to sand so, ran it through the planer. Had to plane both sides. Took some chunks out of the veneer. was wondering what to fill these with then, it hit me; why not bondo? Cheap, available locally, and easy to work with. I think it's gonna work just fine. Spar over the top looks good. Am I missing the down side?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bondo may have talc as a filler, and 'if' it ever gets wet, it can cause some problems swelling, expanding & contracting...

Spar is not a perfect water barrier.....

Marine-Tex may be a better filler choice then bondo since you have some ordered it. Isn't that what you plan to use for the keel damage?

train

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo may have talc as a filler, and 'if' it ever gets wet, it can cause some problems swelling, expanding & contracting...

Spar is not a perfect water barrier.....

Marine-Tex may be a better filler choice then bondo since you have some ordered it. Isn't that what you plan to use for the keel damage?

You are right jb, I do believe the bondo has some talc in it. But I'm putting it on wood! I know that absorbs moisture. It becomes a cost and availability issue at this point. Plus, It only has to last till I can't fish anymore, Ha! Seriously, since I decided on spar as opposed to epoxy, seemed like a good way to go. Hopefully I haven't made a mistake cause, I really like fishing out of this boat..........