FAIRENHEIT 9/11 REVIEW

PW2

Commander
Re: FAIRENHEIT 9/11 REVIEW

I will defintiely see it. I've enjoyed other Moore films, like Roger and Me, and Bowling for Columbine.<br /><br />While economists could reasonably argue about his conclusions in Roger and Me, certainly people in and around Flint Mi. could not argue that there was a serious problem at the time...<br /><br />And while people could argue about his conclusions in Bowling for Columbine, why is it that America has a far higher firearm homicide rate than any other "civilized" country?<br /><br />These are all serious questions that cannot be brushed away simply because they are politically unpopular. Does he have all the answers? Of course not. But at least he raises the questions, which is more than anyone else has done.<br /><br />As far as his new film, I am looking forward to seeing it. While I am sure that he will not have all the answers in this either, he will likely raise some very interesting questions.<br /><br />And as far as intellectual dishonesty, It can't possibly be as intellectually dishonest as the barrage of Bush reelection commercials we have been inundated with recently.

salty87

Commander

anyone who has seen the trailer knows about this scene. i'll set it up for those who haven't...moore ambushes a congressman on the steps of the capitol and asks him if he would support the idea of getting members of congress to send members of their families to Iraq...http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/8838660.htm<br /><br />of course, the cameras don't show the guy's answer....several members of his family are over there serving. nothing but his usual inflammatory crap that works to avoid the truth and perpetuate his load of bull.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

If we're voting, I'm voting for it. Did it win any awards? Maybe the critics got their feelings hurt. It was a movie that got under some skin. Wonder why, truth or lies, November will tell.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

let's not forget that he's just a film maker and<br />not an elected official guys... his objective is<br />to SELL TICKETS in the end, right? besides, his<br />movies are better than most of what holly-wierd<br />turns out these days <br /><br /> :rolleyes:

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Military Fatalities: By Month <br />Period US UK Other* Total Avg Days <br />6-2004 32 0 7 39 1.7 23 <br />5-2004 80 0 4 84 2.71 31 <br />4-2004 135 0 5 140 4.67 30 <br />3-2004 52 0 0 52 1.68 31 <br />2-2004 20 1 2 23 0.79 29 <br />1-2004 47 5 0 52 1.68 31 <br />12-2003 40 0 8 48 1.55 31 <br />11-2003 82 1 27 110 3.67 30 <br />10-2003 43 1 2 46 1.48 31 <br />9-2003 30 1 1 32 1.07 30 <br />8-2003 35 6 2 43 1.39 31 <br />7-2003 47 1 0 48 1.55 31 <br />6-2003 30 6 0 36 1.2 30 <br />5-2003 37 4 0 41 1.32 31 <br />4-2003 73 6 0 79 2.63 30 <br />3-2003 65 27 0 92 7.67 12 <br />Total 848 59 58 965 2.09 462

SCO

Lieutenant

I'd see a pirated copy, but wouldn't want to "vote" for his movie with a ticket. A great counter propaganda movie would be about the previous President. That one could be done with available sound bites, news clips, etc.. Moore's talents are wasted. How about a little fairness and balance? Mel? Frankly, we're not mean spirited enough.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Moore didn't glorify an American tragedy in BFC, and I doubt 911 will either. I haven't seen the movie, but am looking forward to it.<br /><br />He's an incredibly intelligent and witty individual. Very factual. Sometimes the truth hurts.<br /><br />If you haven't read "Dude, Where's My Country?", I highly recommend it. <br /><br />Moore should be on the ballot...

SCO

Lieutenant

One thing you can count on on this board is consistent opinions by all :D

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, but I hear the liberals are in a pinch in Canada right now as well.

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moore doesn't glorify tragedy. He assigns blame for it. And he profits off of it (either in cash or publicity). Intelligent?...sure, witty?, sometimes, factual? sorry bro, 2 out of 3 ain't that bad. <br />Sad fact of life these days...there always has to be someone to blame. That is the price we have paid for all of our litigation. When I was a kid, many people died of "natural causes". These days, you can read obits, and actually see that a 98 year old man died because of smoking, or not eating right. Hell, he died because he was 98 and had lived a full life! <br />But we need someone to blame. So Moore continues, and assigns blame for Columbine on the NRA when we all know it was the aloof "poor parents" who were too involved in their own social climbing to bother to notice that they never raised their children correctly, or that their children were in trouble, planning to do something very wrong. And then he continues with 9/11 placing the blame on the Bush administration despite the fact that the terrorist groups had been active throughout all of the adminstrations in the last 20 years, and had began their planning of the 9/11 attacks at least a year before Bush was ever elected.<br /><br />As long as we can pin the blame on someone, we all feel better though...so I am sure that if Bush is not re-elected, terrorism will completely stop!...right? It was never present there before he took office...right?<br /><br />Sorry for the rant, but my last statement sums it all up. I have watched this mindset (blame and entitlement) grow for my entire lifetime of 40 years. This, coupled with the current political media war that has been growing for the last 4 or 5 elections will rip us apart as a society.

grant1973

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Blacktie ....Nail on the head. I talk with a couple of co-workers about all of the bickering the goes on in this country anymore. You speak of this country being ripped apart. That I feel is so true. Sometimes it feels like we are stepping towards another civil war. Everytime Something is stated as progress, groups have to step out and protest...EVERYTHING. What kind of message does that give to our enemies? If we had Gore in office right now we'd still be trying to decide how to handle 9/11 or possible multiple 9/11's

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

He is a spokesman for the terrorist military.<br />I'll only listen to him beg for his life. Anything else from his pie-hole is quickly cut-off in my household.<br />I censor him and his excrement like I would censor "Debby does dallas"

SCO

Lieutenant

Just looked at the Drudge Report RE F911. THe split between Dem and Rep is amazing...frightening.

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grant1973...there should be more of 'em available on this board soon...I sent the admins 500 avatars for use here. :0

PW2

Commander

Blacktie, you have obviously not seen BFC.<br /><br />Blame? I don't think so<br /><br />Causes? Of course. How can anyone possibly expect to solve a problem without identifying what the problem is and what the potential causes are.<br /><br />Unless you stick to the "poor parenting" cause. While I agree that if everyone was a perfect parent, and raised perfect kids, other solutions may not be necessary. Until that happens, however, perhaps some interim measures may be appropriate.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

howdy blacktie,<br />u said; " Moore... assigns blame for Columbine on<br />the NRA", actually he blamed the media for the<br />constant barage of negative news IMO.<br />I agree...

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PW2...I have not seen the movie in it's entirety....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last night! just kidding....<br /><br />I have heard Moore speak on many occasions, both lecture and interview. He equates Wayne LaPierre to a terrorist. All that I have heard from him is all about blame.<br /><br />I agree that causes should be investigated...but Columbine was not a "problem", it was a tragic event. Once it had occurred, there was nothing to solve. (i.e.: No amount of "investigation" after the fact will undo what has already been done...nor will it likely prevent similar occurances from happening. In fact sometimes, the publicity around a tragic event causes others to take similar action).<br /><br />Poor parenting is symptomatic of the general lack of personal responsibility for one's actions that is present in today's America. I don't think it takes perfect parents or kids, just responsible parenting and kids who understand and accept the responsibility for thier own actions.<br /><br />I appreciate the food for thought though, and perhaps I will watch BFC in it's entirety...

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

PW2, what are your imterim measures that you elude to on the BFC issue? If it's more gun control, then I think your barking up the wrong tree.

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is from a press release yesterday from Citizen's United<br /><br />David N. Bossie, president of Citizens United, today filed a formal complaint to the Federal<br />Election Commission and other federal government agencies against Michael Moore’s<br />“Fahrenheit 9/11.”<br />Michael Moore’s latest movie, “Fahrenheit 9/11,” has been publicly touted by its director<br />to play a role in defeating President George W. Bush this November.<br />The complaint alleges that Michael Moore and the companies and individuals involved in<br />the marketing and distribution of the film are about to violate the Federal Election<br />Campaign Act. Paid broadcast advertisements for the film, which include visual images<br />and sound clips of President Bush and other candidates for federal office, are subject to the<br />restrictions and regulatory requirements of federal campaign law.<br />According to federal law, any ads featuring images of or references to President Bush that<br />can be viewed in the United States by 50,000 or more persons qualify as “electioneering<br />communications” and are subject to the ban on corporate and foreign money. Such<br />advertisements must include the federally mandated disclosure statement and expenditures<br />over $10,000 must be reported to the FEC within 24 hours.<br />“Citizens United stands second-to-none in fighting for free speech,” said Bossie. “We are<br />insisting the law be applied equally to all who are involved in campaigns and elections.”<br />“If Michael Moore wants to contact me, I am available to help him comply with Federal<br />election law,” added Bossie.