Expanding (pour in) Flotation Foam and Aluminum Boats

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Expanding (pour in) Flotation Foam and Aluminum Boats

Ive never thought of myself as lemming, just figured reading up on restores for 3 months before digging into mine was a good idea and i would get ideas and learn from it. I thought that is what is site is for and all about. In my personal situation, i dont want to use pourable foam. Just for the simple fact of not wanting to deal with replacing my wood deck prematurely. I would be all for it had i gone with my original plan of aluminum decking (with proper drainage to bilge) but that isnt going to happen do to my current financial situation. It seems like a hummingbird vs lowrance or chevy vs ford debate. While in the end, we all want the same thing! In my boats case, any floatation will be leaps and bounds better than what i had to begin with!

Buckeyelemming

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Jas, I know the above post was probably an effort to close down this discussion gracefully... But, I can't let you end with a bomdigity (under review by man card committee as I type).

Since the pour-in manufacturers give you you the buoyancy specs, I was curious if anyone had every figured out the buoyancy of these noodles (to give you an educated guess instead of just floating your boat sans plug as suggested above)...

The below link (especially the post by dannyual777) contains an interesting discussion. It appears he is a smart dude and did the "Maths" on this...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7270039/printable.htm

EDIT: SORRY I EVEN BROUGHT THIS UP; THIS FIELD HAS APPARENTLY BEEN PLOWED SEVERAL TIMES IN THE PAST, SO I'M NOT TRYING TO START A MATH COMPETITION....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=387186 (refers back to some even older threads)...

remember, just read, don't write...

Yeah, I didn't think noodles were as buoyant as some people think. Looks like they'll only float 1/10th of what some people think they will. 1 noodle = 10 lbs. of dead weight floatation instead of the 100 lbs. some people tout.

I'd be sick to my stomach if I packed my bilge full of noodles and then found out later I only had 1/10th the amount of floatation I thought I originally had... especially if I had installed my new deck finish on top of my deck fasteners and couldn't get back to my bilge without destroying my nice new carpet, vinyl, or paint.

Sheet foam and expanding foam shine in a brighter light when this factor is taken into consideration.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Polycarbonate Corrugated Roofing Panel. Home depot. Can be cut with a hand saw, jig saw, table saw with the correct blade. 26? wide 12? long. Aprox 5/8 ?tall and can be interlocked. Cut and rivet and calk before installing flooring Z strip and if correctly installed the flotation foam will not sticking to the bottom of the boat and a good path for the water to drain will be maintained. The foam should remain dry from the bottom. A sheet of 4 mill plastic on top before the floor is put in and foam should remain dry from the top. Now if she sinks I will have bigger things to worry about. LOL

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pretty sure you don't want to get polyisocarboate wet........

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Pretty sure you don't want to get polyisocarboate wet........

Yeah, and I can see the 4 mil. plastic making "greenhouse" dew droplets out of any moisture in the bilge on the bottom of each sheet/layer. The dew droplets under the bottom sheet would contribute to galvanic corrosion in a hurry since it probably would never dry out under there... unless you paint your bilge before any installation takes place.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes you are correct polyisocarboate is not good in water but Polycarbonate is plastic and will not degrade in water.
s4.jpg

Attachments

• s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the life of me I can not get a drawing to show up.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

So yah, we may all be in different camps, noodle, expanding, foam board, soap juggs, pong balls, whatever, it's your build gents, have at it;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One thing I'm certain we can all agree with here on iboats (yup everyone), aluminum is the bombdigity:p:D

okay, Jason just nailed it on the head.
We are many people, each with our own opinions and ideas and thoughts.

Together, we can make a good idea into a great idea, and help each other out and do better, go further and do things that otherwise might have never been done.

necessity is the mother of ALL inventions, build it, someone will improve it, and then people will want it.

united we stand , divided we fall................ what is wrong with agreeing to disagree??
all of us here, and many many newbies in the future will look at this thread and ponder it.

now looking at it that way, do you now think the same, or differently.

if not for this forum, and the people here, many things i have done on my boat would never have happened, for example my new floors....... sharking the boat, sliding seats and even the portable live well i built today, all ideas i have seen here, and maybe even improved on a little bit.......

------------------------------------------------------

on to the aluminum comment, i agree, mantown trial is over, case closed :cool:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

jigngrub; Take nothing for granted when it comes to safety said:
I see about 5 boats go down every year in Lake St. Clair, you're getting wet if you go down. If it's cold, you're at the mercy of mother nature (unless dry suit or wetsuit is used). You're floatation is supposed to keep you above water, it's not keeping you dry. You can hold onto the swamped boat until help arrives, this is what flotation is supposed to do. Lose the seals on your I/O, down you go if the bilge pump is overpowered.

My goal is to have enough flotation to keep the gunwhales above water. I can't see flotation keeping a boat seaworthy in a catastrophic event.

I like pour in foam for the following reasons; Adding rigidity to the hull of an aluminum boat and sound deadening in an aluminum boat. Cost and drainage (which I think I could overcome with a complicated series of pvc piping etc) will probably push me to the sheet foam. I'm holding out making a decision until I have to. In the event I'm still on the fence it's pink foam board. I'll calculate and test to insure I have enough. I always wear a life vest also, you never know when my cat-like reflexes will fail.

Thanks for the thread Jas! Thanks for everyone's input.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

My goal is to have enough flotation to keep the gunwhales above water. I can't see flotation keeping a boat seaworthy in a catastrophic event.

You would be surprised, maybe even amazed at how high a boat will float with the right amount of dry floatation foam.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

You would be surprised, maybe even amazed at how high a boat will float with the right amount of dry floatation foam.

i might put that to the test, just because.............. now i am wondering about my rig ............

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

I just want to address a few of the comments here. The answers are based on my experience testing boats for flotation over about 20 years or so, and helping manufacturers comply with the flotation regs.

Some one asked why manufacturers use pour foam: It's cheap and simple. It is easier to make a compartment, drill a hole in the top, and shoot spray foam in for a Known number of seconds, than it is to cut up board foam, fit pieces in and then attach a cover. The second takes more time and several more bodies to do than one man or woman with a foam gun.

It was asked why does some foam absorb and some not. As I said in my previous post, I believe there are a number of reasons. All foam used in boats is supposed to be closed cell foam. Closed cell foam does not absorb water. So what is happening? for some reason some of the cells are NOT closed. This can be do to improper installation, or it can be due to incorrect chemical composition. The problem has gotten worse since the manufacturers changed the blowing agents in 1995. Water absorption can also be due to simple age. I don't necessarily mean chronological age. The foam in a boat that is heavily used will age faster than in a boat that is infrequently used. That also depends on how the boat is stored. If water is allowed to stand in the boat for long periods with freeze thaw cycles, it will age faster. Shock, vibration, and stress will all affect the foam and cause it to age. But it should last far longer than it does in some boats (not all by any means)

Also the law is not seven years. Recreational boats are required by US law (Canada too) to be in compliance for ten years from the date the boat was entered into interstate commerce (which can be different than the date it was made) But boats made before 2000 were required to be in compliance on five years, and the ten years was phased in over five years, so in 2003 it would have been seven years.

Most aluminum boats made in this country are small utility type boats. Most of those use plain old styrofoam in sealed boxes. They don't have this problem. Some larger aluminum boats use pour foam. They do have this problem. But it has nothing to do with the hull material.

How is the amount calculated. It's not rocket science doesn't take an engineer. I taught this stuff to boat builders for many years. You can see how to do it here (my page) http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/flot.html
Here (the US Coast Guard's handbook) http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/flotation_landing.aspx
Or here: The Safety Standards For Backyard Boatbuilders (no longer published by the USCG) http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

It is based on three things, weight of the boat hull (and machinery for inboards), weight of the persons, and weight of the engine for outboards. All the calculations assume you are using 2 lb density foam, that is one cubic foot weighs 2 pounds and will support 60.4 lb in fresh water and 62.4 in salt water.

Do pool noodles support the same as other foam. Yes if they are two pound density foam. One cubic foot of pool noodles will support the same amount as an cubic foot of two pound density foam. Many years ago I did the calculation for 6 foot, 3 inch diameter pool noodles, but I can't seem to find it. But anyone who knows how to calculate the volume of a circular object can do it.

Placement of the foam in the boat is just as important as how much. Putting too much in can cause problems as well. We even failed a Boston Whaler because it had too much foam placed too high and the boats simply rolled over. Yeah it would float, upside down. That's not the point. Outboards are supposed to float upright, so that a person in the boat would have the upper part of their body out of the water. This helps prevent hypothermia. The exception is inboards (I/O's included) which just have to float with some part of the boat out of the water.

Anyway, great discussion. Great learning tool. Don't stop now!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

i might put that to the test, just because.............. now i am wondering about my rig ............

Just launch without your drain plug in, that's how I found out about mine!:p

... but , really. Just take your boat to a shallow part of the lake and pull the plug, if you start taking on more water than you're comfortable with abort the mission and put the plug back in or chank up the motor and run the water out under power.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the life of me I can not get a drawing to show up.

store your photo online on photobucket, flickr or other image storage site. Copy the direct link they provide
start your new post
type in
paste the link
type in

image should show up when you post

One other thing I wanted to say, re: testing your own boat.

The test for flotation is conducted in a pool, smooth water. Weights are put in the boat to simulate persons, gear, engine, and distributed about the boat in a very prescribed manner. Pulling the plug and letting it fill will tell you if it floats or not but it won't tell you if it will float level with all people on board. And it will probably really screw up your electrics. When we test them we remove anything that might be damaged and put a weight there in it's place. Also if you have a portable fuel tank it will float free unless you secure it. We remove them and use weights. Permanently installed tanks are tested empty with weights to simulate fuel weight too, because we don't need fuel getting into the water, same for your lake. We also drill holes anywhere air might get trapped and swamp it for eight hours. I don't think you want to do that with your boat. So trapped air may cause it to float for a while but over time may work it's way out. .So what I am saying is, sure it'll let you know if it floats, but that's about all. Plus if you do get swamped or flooded, it probably won't be in calm water so the boat will react differently than in a pool or calm water.

However, I have done just that with my dinghies that I built. Just take them to the lake and fill them up. It is a confidence builder.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Also if you have a portable fuel tank it will float free unless you secure it. We remove them and use weights. Permanently installed tanks are tested empty with weights to simulate fuel weight too, because we don't need fuel getting into the water, same for your lake.

Thanks Peter for all the great info. I noticed that in the USCG testing, the fuels tanks are removed and replaced by weights. As you have noted, portable tanks are removed, since they'll float free anyway. What weight do you use to replace something that floats? When I calculated how much basic flotation I needed for my I/O powered boat, I didn't include the weight of the permanently anchored plastic tank or the fuel on the presumption that it and it's contents would not be as heavy as an equivalent displaced volume of water. Is this a wrong assumption? Sorry Jas, if I'm hijacking your original thread. - Grandad

A few random thoughts of mine.

Pontoon boats with no foam have decks that last a LONG, LONG time. Some boats WITH expanding foam have rotten decks in 10 years. Even with marine ply.

Some race car builders use the expanding foam to fill the chassis of production based race cars to increase stiffness dramatically (structural strength)

The positive structural contributions would seem to make it even more important in older boats.

Blindly just pouring it back in would be complete and utter nonsense. Some of these older boats have foam that will never drain, for various reasons-many discussed in this thread.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

What weight do you use to replace something that floats?

Damn good question and that has been the subject of much controversy at ABYC meetings and at the USCG.

When the test program started in the 70's (I wasn't there yet) most outboard boats had portable tanks. No problem. Remove the tank and put an equivalent weight in the boat. The problem was permanent tanks. They were filling them with gas and then attempting to seal the tank. This doesn't work well. There were all kinds of problems with gas getting into the water. So in the mid 80's we changed the procedure to fill the tank with water, but only 3/4 full. But that caused problems later on for whoever bought the test boat.

The general rule is if the fuel tank would be underwater when the boat is swamped then the weight has to be adjusted to be the same as what the fuel would weigh under water. Gas is lighter than water and does provide some flotation, but not much. Water weighs 8 lb per gallon, gasoline weighs a little over 6 lbs per gallon so it provides about 2 lbs of buoyancy per gallon. So we calculate what 3/4 of a tank would weigh, adding that much weight with it's CG the same as the tank, and sealing the tank up empty.

To complicate matters, iron (the weights used) weigh less under water than in air, so you have to add weight to compensate for the underwater weight. for instance 10 lbs or iron only weighs 8.6 lbs underwater, so to get 10 lbs underwater you have to add, 11.63 lbs. Anyway;

For tanks that are not submerged when the boat is swamped we just used the same weight as a full tank.

The same applies to portable tanks. The weight is placed where the tank would be, but if there is no designated spot for the tank it is placed aft near the motor well if they have one, or in front of the transom, on the centerline.

You wouldn't think it could be that complex but it can be. It is rare that a boat fails flotation because of the tank, but it has happened, so the tester has to make sure they do it right.

Usually boats that fail, fail the stability requirement, that is they either heel to far or the roll over. They are allowed 30 degrees. If it goes 30 degrees they almost always keep right on going over. Usually this is because there is not enough flotation to adequately support the outboard. Outboards have a high center of gravity, and generally when the lower unit is submerged the head is not, and causes a lot of heeling moment. So flotation needs to be placed in the rear quarters to compensate. Often manufacturers don't put enough back there.

PS: we don't submerged the OB motors. We use a bracket filled with weights with the same CG as the motor.

rinsley

Recruit

I'm well into a rotten-flooring-replacement project ('81 Sea Nymph "Fishing Machine") and have read this thread with great interest. Pour-in foam was used from stem to stern and in the full height flotation compartments flanking the transom.

Foam that was in the best shape was also in the location that had to be dug out--the flotation compartments (because there was no other access to extract and replace the super-rotten flooring extending under these compartments.) I plan to use the pink stuff to refill them.

The foam that was poured through the flooring is my biggest problem. After removing all the wood, I find saturated and partly saturated foam. It expanded right up tight under the flooring--but I can slice away the top layer so it no longer touches the under side of the flooring. I don't want to dig all this stuff out unless it's absolutely necessary. If it's left open to the hot summer sun, will it dry out?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If it's left open to the hot summer sun, will it dry out?

Nope, you'll want to dig it out.

If it's wet on top, it'll be wet on the bottom, for sure.

Sorry man:(

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

I agree. I doesn't dry out. stick a knife in it. If water comes out, cut it out. I have done what you want to do. I didn't want to have to take out the entire structure, just that which was rotten or soaked. But I ended up taking out a lot more than I thought I would have to, because the water had penetrated even the top layers of foam in some places. Just take it slow and look carefully at each before you decide to cut it out or not. Of course with my boat it didn't help that the tank had leaked and some of the foam had gasoline in it.