Distributor Help Needed.

OMCEd

Cadet
Hello group,
I recently bought a Sunbird I/O with a 1989 2.3L Ford-OMC engine. The original owner had the marine distributor replaced with an 1985 Ford automotive distributor with Blue Grommet electronic ignition. The Dist. has vacuum advance that is working when checked but is not connected. The boat runs great except for when I accelerate from idle and the eng. is under load, then it boggs down and backfires. If i SLOWLY advance the throttle it will not do this. The carb is new/reman. and timing set to specs. New cap and button, pulgs etc. The only vacuum port I have to tie into is the choke pull off.
Should I cut the hose, put in a "T" and hook up my vacuum advance? I know this will be constant vacuum but i have ran my budget out for now and was hoping this might work. I know I need to replace the whole distributor in the future. Would this be a good one?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-YLU621CV/

Thanks for the help. Ed

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Distributor Help Needed.

I wouldn't even bother operating your boat until you get the proper distributor. Besides the fact that it is automotive, it doesn't have the proper mechanical advance so you are going to be totally messed up there. Who knows if the bogging you are having is due to an advance issue or a carb issue. Until you get the correct distributor, you have no idea which direction to go.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

No vacuum mechanisme on a boat!
It can be in your case that the mechanical advance does not work properly, check it with a timing light.
Automotive ignition systems are not (spark) sealed and have no screen as marine certified ignition has, therefor never use in a closed engine compartment like a boat!

havasuboatman

Ensign

Not to throw a monkey on the wrench but...
Aside from what the other posters said (which is true and very good advice) if you are backfiring thru the carb on accelleration, your problem may be a faulty accelleration pump, failing fuel pump, water seperater that is fouled, or a vacuum leak.
Backfiring thru the carb is almost always caused by a lean fuel mixture.