clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Well I had good intentions but mother nature saw fit to wash it herself. Just as I finished scuffing it it went to raining. But oh it looks good. Pics to follow.

zool

Captain

Yep. its on its way here too, had to wrap up epoxying and cover up..theres a front coming across the region...murphys law.

Im glad your paint is holding on this time...looks like your over the hump....;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep me thinks so to. I got 3 places that is still a little bit thin or appears that way. I will know more when I wet sand it. I hope this next coat is last coat on hull. ready to see the inside now.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate pine trees !! The storm that blew in Saturday evening decided I need some pine cones on my boat. Not allot of damage to paint. Most scratches I got out with 220. Only 1 found the chine and after rubbing it I can see a pink tint so I have to touch up that spot and blend it in. Then maybe just maybe I can get finial coat sprayed.

Can I just sand with 1500 or 2000 only where the bugs land? I could buff that area out with out doing the whole hull. The sides will get buffed after the top cap is complete.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

After your first outing, you'll have a lot more of those scratches!!!!:) I WAS that fussy too! It HAD to be Show Room perfect. 2 yrs later....uhmmm not so much. If they're not deep, i'd scuff and shoot the last coat. Just me!!!!!;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its that deep. I may just mix up a cup and shoot it and a few other spots that look iffy, then get it all next week end.

At least then I have given it my best shoot.

Last edited:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Touched up the thin spots and ready to spray it and done with it. If I don't knock the bugs off the hull, but do the part you can see on the trailer (bow) will it be okay or should I polish all of it? Going to do the sides after I finish the topcap. I might make a oops on the side. I have been know to do that.

zool

Captain

If by polish you mean cut and buff, you really need to wait a few weeks for the fresh paint to "mature". As with sandpaper, you need to avoid going over hard edges with compound...

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea thats what I meant cut and buff. I hope to shot maybe tomorrow or saturday with final coat. Then wait 2 weeks for the cure. Then and only then cut and buff. Mean while I have a windshield to work on and deck lids. I will be asking about windshield when I have some pics of it.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? Any suggestion as to winshield

Re: clean hull with? Any suggestion as to winshield

Okay guys while I wait on paint to dry I have next 2 project for this redo.

How to polish my jackplate?

Do I replace, use as is, or paint it black? I have seen allot of solid black windshields. You can see the grazing that has happened on the inside of the plexiglass.

IMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If anything will work it will be this..Novus 7020 Plastic Polish #1 - 8 Oz.: Abrasives : Walmart.com There are 2 parts. You need both. They use it in on Airplane windshields and it made mine and others look like new. Mine was not as bad as yours but it might still work. Get a buffing wheel for your 3/8" drill and go to work.:D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

the bubbles and grazing is internal or appears that way. I got to get them dang stickers off. goo gone don't work or the other stuff like goo gone nor does WD-40. Any ideas? Else I will go after it with 2000 grit and paint. But I will try that walmart polish.

Got last coat on hull today. got me a white scuff pad to get the bugs and not leave deep scratches. Says it's for polishing and removing over spray. Hope it helps with or eliminates finial polishing. Not going to hold my breath.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guy got time might as well work while waiting on WD40 to soften up my decals on the windshield. Do I just grind out the cracks ( V bit) and fill with epoxy, with fiberglass threads mixed in?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

what else will remove these decals besides wd40 or googone?

zool

Captain

I usually use an eraser wheel, but never tried it on a boat windshield, it should remove the decal and adhesive, but you may get a ghost print left.....but if youre gonna paint or polish it, you can take it down past the shadow...

The 3m is just one brand, there are others maybe less expensive.

On-line Product Catalog:?3M

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the stickers off and will polish later today.

But First: I was grinding out cracks on the deck lids and it appears that I am not the first to attempt this. What I found was wood/fiberglass/gelcoat/epoxy layer/glue/carpet. Can i grind it back to the first/original fiberglass? I can then lay another coat of woven about 16th thick and have a better bond and more strength. I think. What say ye?

Pics to follow later today.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guys, due to forces outside my control, till 2016 I have to backup and go with a economy paint job. I am thinking SEM primer and rustoleum for top cap. Will rustoleum white (gloss) be close to the ezposy white I have on hull. Or will it really matter if they are not the same just a close match?

Or would it be better to go with the Majic Implement paint from Tractor Supply.

As of right this minute I am awaiting final word on what we are going to do for shutdown. Since I am appropriated funding frfom the gov.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Either one will work. Use the hardener and you'll be just fine. I've used both and actually could tell no difference between the two. If I HAD to choose, I'd prolly go with the MAJIC just because it mfgs the hardener too and Rustoleum does not. White will be close but prolly not a perfect match.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOOHOO!! :joyous::joyous: not furloughed :faint:will get ezpoxy for topside this week.

Guys do you think I need to wait the full 14 days for this hull to cure? Was wanting to buff and polish it so I can get on with the flip and topside work.

What buffing compound 3m Finess, what pad do I need? Will buy at west marine unless you recommend something else like mothers or something.