clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

There ya go!!!! At the very least It'll be a LOT easier to sand and blend before you shoot the next coat.;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang I didn't even think about that :duh

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay some one drop a house on me. I went out and wet sanded with 220. Sounds good huh. Well i have sanded through to the gel on some edges. Should I reprime again or drive on just hitting them spots with 150 and apply the next coat?

Also the 220 I have feels very rough should I use a emery cloth type 220?

I have to ask, when wet sanding just try to remove the shin and any orange peal or just the shin?

Last edited:

zool

Captain

If you just sanded to the gel and not thru the gel, and it still looks and feels relatively straight, i would carry on...paint sticks well to sanded gel..where is it?..on the bottom or sides?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

on the chine's

zool

Captain

So youre the only one that will see a blemish ;)

I think you may be paying too much attention trying to get a final finish look on build coats. You only need to scuff it for adhesion, while taking SOME peel off on the first coats. If ur getting peel, keep going and add an additional sacraficial coat, then get the final coat straight with varying grits all the way up into the 1000's...you need mil thickness to take down the peel to mirror gloss

Aint painting fun! :D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

why heck yea painting is fun, its the sanding part that is getting to me. I used to enjoy it when I was building molds for plastics. They had to be mirror finish. But now in my old age I have a heavy hand when it comes to fine sanding.

So all I have to do is rough it up a bit don't need to sand the shine of it?

zool

Captain

No, you just need to scuff it up with the 220 dry or wet, it doesnt need to look frosty like sanding for the ist coat over gel, but you do need a groove. The shine is inherent in a poly/enamel.

Careful over edges in the beginning coats, just sand up to hard edges, not over them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Zool's gotcha on the right track^^^^

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay gents going to take off tomorrow and spray. On my chins I have a question. After I mix in the hardener, thinner and spray the paint, what if I get it a bit to thick in the chins area. They have a step in them and the inside corner get thick real fast. Will it eventually cure out hard if I don't get it to over thick.
You can see the step area I am referring to in the pics. Especially the one with the broken gel coat that yes I have repaired. It would be the inside corner that gets thick. Or is there a way to spray it with out over applying the paint?

gelcoat void.jpgP1.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It'll be fine. As Zool stated You're overthinking this a bit much. Shoot it as best you can and it is what it is. The paint will cure. Make sure to let it "Cook" for 30 mins. prior to shooting it and stir @ 10 min intervals. It will be fine. To get a good ONE coat I shot 3 thin coats. By the time the 1st thin coat was on when I got back to the transom where I started it was almost dry to the touch. It flashes off pretty quick when it's a thin coat.:D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well maybe I am over thinking. But I have already had to redo the primer 2 times and the paint once. Gun shy I would call it. So 3 thin, coats cool I can do that. The first coat was thin in all places but the corners they seem to have hardened ok now. I am just very gun shy of this paint and its peculiarities with application. Maybe I am just gun shy of my abilities at this point also.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, but, after the first 3 thin coats... You'll be a lot more comfortable. Play with the settings on the gun until it's flowing out and laying down just the way you want. That's why I started on the transom to get the gun set the way I wanted. After that I went pretty smooth until the filter spit water and ruined the bow!!!!!:eek:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to practice tonight with my gun and tinker with the settings using mineral spirits or water. I feel that was some of my issues.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guys finally got it sprayed again. Started at 730 and got to spray around 10. Had a heavy dew last night and had to wipe boat down 4 times before it stopped getting the little beads of water on it. Here are a few pics of the project.

IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0279.JPGIMG_0280.JPGIMG_0281.JPGIMG_0282.JPG

Last edited:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is how thick I was applying it. After 3 coats it looked good. I could still read the writting on the box with 1 coat.

IMG_0285.JPG

Do I have to wait 8 hr before scuffing it?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now you're Talking!!! I waited 6. I bet you can shoot another coat around 4:00 pm this afternoon. She Looks GREAT!!!!!! I'd just use the 3M pad to nock down any nubs then use the 50/50 to wipe her down and Shoot her again. GREAT JOB!!!!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You think it will get dry enough by dark (730-800)?

this time i sprayed from stern to bow, thinking I may got port to starboard this time or does it matter?

Never mind! I got scuffed with a scuff pad but guess what. Nope paint is good, :laugh: but clouds have moved in and dropped a few sprinkles. So I reckon in the morning I will 220 sand and wash and wipe (50/50). Maybe by then the dew will have dried up and the clouds have dissipated. Oh since I already scuffed it will it need sanding?

Last edited:

zool

Captain

After any overnight dry, Pettit recommends a 220 sand, I would stick with their recs.....

Shes starting to look like a new Ranger :D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

got another coat on this morning. Finished up about 9:00. Thinks if all is right with the water gods I will spray another this even around 2 or 3. Then if the wife will cooperate I will stick it in the garage for the night. That should be all it will need for paint. That will make 5 coats.

Let it sit for a week and make finial decision, another coat or flip it back over.