clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

What have your temps been? How many days has it been since the last coat?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Overnight in the 50's during the day mid to high 70's Painted it on the 24th was last and final coat. 10 days.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is Just me, but I wouldn't touch it with a buffer for another week and maybe not even then. Those temps are not conducive to getting the paint to a total cure. I KNOW you want to get it done but it is what it is. Others may differ but again, that's just me and my experience. My paints been on for 2 years and I haven't buffed it yet. I'm not sure what the hurry is. You can buff and polish it after the flip. Yeah, it's a bit harder to do but it can be done. My paint is still shiny and glossy so, I'm not to concerned with the buffing and polishing. I'll be waxing her this spring so, She'll get her first buff and polish then.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Been a lot of work to get here, I agree w/ WOG ^^^^....

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I am not one to forget experience. Should I lightly sand with 1000 grit then flip her over? will it be okay to set her on a cradle with running boards (covered). Going to look for a primer gun tomorrow. Do you think the Dilbiss gun tip would fit the purple harbor freight gun? Silly I know but hey may never spray anything again. Even better reason to buy another gun if it don't.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't think you understood WOG or I.

Sanding IS the CUTTING @cutting & buffing, and the MORE aggressive of the 2.....

No sanding

No buffing

No flipping

although the paint may feel dry, on the surface, it may not be CURED thru & thru for a while. It may be difficult to wait, possibly VERY DIFFICULT, but wait I would.

If you can roll it out into full sun, above 70, for a couple days, that would help. But it may be weeks to reach cure....

Ask most car repair places how long to wait before washing you're new paint @the repaired car..... 1 random answer

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This^^^ B True. IF... BIGGGGG IF you Could secure a Blanket to the hull and roll it gently on the yard and then lift it onto a well padded cradle without dragging or pushing or shoving then you could flip it tomorrow. If not, then I'd wait at LEAST another week with good full sunshine days. If you really want to get after it, you could buy some heat lamps and for night time Baking Sessions!!!!:D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i flipped it before with out touching the ground. but i will wait till next weekend to flip her. Now remember she is outside where she has always been. Wife said high to low 50s and 60s at night and high to low 70s and 80s during the day. But I can wait, maybe the top cap will be easier now that I can spray it. Heck may get 2 coats in one day.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You should be easily get 2 coats in a day. If you shoot the first at 11 am you can shoot the 2nd @ 5:00 pm

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a plan for spraying. I got a light coat of paint on windshield today. I sanded and polished (320 to 1500) but still had tons of hazing. will sand my light coat with 320 then prime it real good and lay finial this weekend on windshield. Also sprayed a few other things black.

On the jackplate, are the bolts supposed to be borderline ringing off. Mine are so tight after i get them to move that they feel like they are ringing off. I have sprayed wd40/PB Blaster on them but no help. Was thinking some transmission fluid may help.

Debating on starting the motor also. It needs repaint to. Glade its a merc don't have to buy another color of paint.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not sure what a bolt ringing off is.....

Snapping the bolt from over tightening?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes that would be wringing, ringing (twisting into) it off but my bolts feel like that trying to loosen them. I know they are backing out cause the washers are getting lose and i can change the ratchet and tighten the bolt till the washers stop moving freely.

Last edited:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I get ready to paint my jack plate do I handle it just like the boat?
wipe 50/50 mix
thin primer (no hardner)
wait to dry
sand lightly
spray paint mixed like the other (2 cups paint, 1/2 cup 50/50 and 2 table spoons of hardener)

and let her rip

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it's made out of aluminum, I'd recommend using Self Etching primer. All the rest is Spot On!!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

gotr it I found some rusto self etching so I am off to paint land lol

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gents
Should I add hardener to my paint when I paint the windshield? Will add it when I spray the jackplate.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would, but that's just me!!!!:D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I reckon I will then, I was thinking I should. Also been raining for 3 days this week so the flip will be next weekend

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I think OI can flip her back over now. I am pretty sure she has been sitting long enough to cure good. painted on the 24th of Sept. thats right at a month.

Wind shield turned out great, but got a deal on a new one so now I have 2, LOL. Bass Boat Central had a deal on them and I jumped on it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'd say you're good to go on the Flip!!!