clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

That would be it!!!!:D
If you had a 1.8mm tip then you would not need to thin it. I finally bought one and it works great.
Bought the gun from TCP Global for 35 bucks.

Last edited:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well if I do another one I may invest. Oh I may do another, thinks I found an old tin one.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay got the primer redone finially. Wind went from 0 mph to 5 mph just as I got my gum setup. So I rolled it again. sanded with 150 between coats washed x2 and wiped x2 with 50/50 mix. Now that I have 2 coats on it and it is drying I have a questions before I try ezpoxy single again.

Do I sand with 150?
Wet or dry sand?
Or do I use a scuff pad and wet scuff it?

Should I wait for tomorrow morning to start painting the ezpoxy single? (may be no wind in the am else roll and roll)

This is getting costly, but I want it right, not going to do this again.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd wet sand with 320, then in the am wipe down with 50/50 and shoot color

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Calling for wind in the morning. Reckon I will sand with 150 wet and roll and roll. Or would 100 wet work? Calls for 150 on directions, says nothing about wet or dry. Now if I find some orange peal on primer should I sand it smooth or just rough it up and not worry about the peal.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You want it smooth NO PEAL!! 150 is fine! I'd do wet!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

done 150 wet sanded. Now for the weather, 10 mph in the morning tapering off by night fall. Got to love it, and the trout will be here in 2 weeks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Where are you painting your boat?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

in the yard

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you considered building a PVC and Plastic Sheathing wall to block the wind etc. You could do this for around $30 bucks. 3/4" pvc is cheap and some Painters Drop cloth plastic and some tape and you could build a wall pretty quick. Something kinda like this...
paintwall.jpg

A Few Elbows and "T" 's and 5-6 10 ft sections of pipe you could build a couple of these to make a corner section to block the wind.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

na had thought about that. Might get divorce if i try though. Wife was not to excited when she got home and there was another boat in the yard. Have herd about it every time I buy something. Oh well got to be in dog house for something lol. I am worried about how far the paint will travel and still stick. Neighbors are close. !/2 acre lots here.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay got first coat on about 12:00 sprayed with no runs got a little orange peal in a couple of Places but NO runs and very light coat for first coat. Now in 6 hours I will buff with scratch pad.

Now should I cover or leave it be, it is outside and not enough time between 6 pm and dark for second coat. so it will sit for a week before next spray.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sprayed and looking good to me for first time shooting.

IMG_0272.JPGIMG_0271.JPGIMG_0270.JPGIMG_0269.JPG

And now for my worst OOPS out of 3 oops's

oops_1.JPG

Not to sure how to fix this reckon sand with 220 tomorrow and see what happens.

zool

Captain

Since you have to sand again before the next coat, (out of recoat window), I would just knock it level tomorrow, then sand it all to prep for second coat.

looking good tho ;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, just goes to prove even a blind Squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Going to sand tomorrow evening after work and wash and wipe before saturday so I can uncover her wipoe her and paint her in the am so maybe I can get 2 coats on her in one day.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paint question. I went and looked at paint job this morning and I have some dull spots on it. Would this be dry paint spray? How do I fix it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Since you have more coats to do, you can use a razor blade scraper to cut that run out before sanding. It'll make it a bit easier. Just be careful with it. I suspect the dull spots in the paint could be from overspray. You have to be careful to ensure that overspray does not collect on your finished paint surfaces. Since you have sanding and more coats to do this should not be a worry. On your final coat you have to watch carefully and keep a wet edge. The Hardener in the paint makes it flash off pretty quick but the temps are cooling down so it should be a bit easier now.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! Temps is not an issue so much as wind is. I had to spray between gust. 0 to 10 all day. So I hung a piece of plastic from a pole and when it dropped I sprayed. I have a guy that will throw last coat on if need be (small charge of course) But I should be able to buff it out after about 2 weeks of cure time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, maybe you'll luck out next time, like I did, and get a calm day!!! If you do, you won't need to buff. The paint will be real smooth and extremely High Gloss!!!!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay my oops is still soft so I took a razor blade and carefully cut it the same thickness as paint beside it. Maybe it will cure now if not will work it when I sand and spray again.