clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Well it is flipped. Not with out issue but flipped.

When I got ready to lower it it fell about 6 to 10 inchs and landed in a rusty bumper.

IMG_0327.JPG

Here is the damage caused. It is about an area 3 x 5

IMG_0325.JPG

A little 1200 sand paper and poof its gone.

IMG_0326.JPG

That hardener sure works good. The spot is a bit duller, but hey after I sand the sides with 1200 then polish after top cap is ready to polish it will be gone gone gone. :clap2:

Now when sanding around the hatch lids just a light touch with 80 grit should do right? Holes should be filled with epoxy with fibers and filler right? How to I plug the backside if I can not reach it to put a piece of tap in back of hole to keep PB from falling through?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the cold has set in and looks like next summer to finish.

Does Sherwin Williams make a topside paint? I ask cause there is a paint booth at the auto body shop on base but they are only licensed for Sherwin William's paint to be sprayed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can use any Acrylic Enamel Paint w/Hardener on the topside. Does NOT have to be a Marine Specific Topside paint.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys back again. I got me a small HF canvas Garage to put my boat in for sanding and painting top cap. Any Idea how to safely heat it so I don't go boom when I paint. i talked to Pettit paints and they said 50 degrees is min but will cure if a bit colder just have to throw the projected times out the window. He did say the hull had to be 50 degrees min for it to stick/cure correctly. I take it it would be same with rusto or any type paint.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, Not exactly...I would never Paint when the temp is under 60?. And it is extremely critical that you get the boat's surface at that temp not not just the paint. You can heat it with a propane Bullet heater outside and use flex duct to shoot the heat into the tent. That way the flames are outside the structure. NO BOOM that way. Once the paint has cured for 4 hours then the temps can fall below 60? but not before. That's my 2?.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wood your 2 cents has done me good so far and I will keep following. I think OI can get it heated to 60 or 70 with a vent from shed to tent, shed has heat and I can get 90 in it on a cold day (40), i tried just to see.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay guy need an opinion. Since my gelcoat is in such bad shape I been fairing and sanding. I think i got so the deep flake damage is smooth. So I am about ready to paint now that they are calling for possible snow. Here is my question. If I spray it with primer it can I fair over the primer if a rough spot shows through?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope you sand the spot and re-fair and re-prime.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda figured that but had to ask. maybe 4 coats of primer will fill it. will know after first coat.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

What size tip is best for spraying Pettit easy Primer. I did it last time with a 1.4 on a harbor freight purple spray gun. I have found a 1.9 (#25943) or a 2.2 (#25942). The 1.4 worked ok but was thin and had to reapply many times to get good coverage. With the larger tip would I still need to thin it like with a 1.4 tip?

zool

Captain

I wouldnt go higher than the 1.9 for that primer, IIRC, its a one coat product and they recommend like under 2 mils dry..if you cake it on too much, it may not cure properly...you can adjust the thinner as needed, but i would at least thin it 5-10%...you can adjust your coverage by hand speed, slow down for higher build..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For Primer I use a 1.8 soooo...The 1.9 should be good and I'd thin it using 2-3 oz of thinner for every 16oz of primer.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay will do

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guys I got issues with top cap primer. I mixed the Pettit ezprimer just like before. 2 cups primer and 3/4 cup of 50/50 acetone and mineral spirits. I just knew I was good to go since it worked so well last time. I sprayed it thin so thin it has a red tint to it from boats original color. Sanded entire boat with 80 grit before spraying and wiped and dried it 4 times (didn't want to do it again) will it is soft as can be. temps in the 70s to 80 during the day and 60s at night. Been drying for 24 hours and still soft. Any ideas where I goofed at?

Also just purchased me a new gun with a 0.082 in spray tip. Best i can figire thats about a 2.0, should be just right for non thinned primer. Trying to decide if I should go with pettit again or flip to rustoleum paint more cost effective if I keep having issues. Does the rusto primer do good? I know it has held good on a fiberglass roof on brother in laws pump house top.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's very strange I'd give it another 10 to 12 hours if that doesn't work I guess I would remove it to go with the Rustoleum

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

All ready started removing it. Some places are hard and others are soft. Only may be an inch apart. So off with it. Good thing is i will be making a casting deck for the front so most of the floor upfront doesn't have to be real good looking. LOL

Do i need to thin the rusto primer with a 0.082 tip?

Last edited:

zool

Captain

The seem to warn in the tech sheet about only applying in early parts of the day with low humidity and/or dewpoint....Maybe they are more aware of a problem then we are....

Hope you get that rig on the water soon...looking forward to see the final results ;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Final results, I just want it painted right now that will be worth a few beers. I to can't wait for final results. They could be zool. Just seems funny that parts of it this evening have cured, but are soft on outer but hard under, that next to gelcoat. almost like 2 coats but I didn't get that far. Won't have to worry with it going with the SEM primer Woodonglass reccomends and rusto for final paint.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

A great deal of boat work doesn't come w instant gratification.... I'm fairly positive paint is 1 of the primary ones that doesn't...

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

AMEN to that.