clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Sounds like a plan to me then. Will start in the morning. You were right its is DRY FILM THICKNESS PER COAT: 1.75 mils (3.8 wet mils) now to figure out how thick that looks.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi a clear cigarette wrapping is about 2.5 mil. If the primer wasn't 2that part with hardener. Next time glove up and wash it off with thinner.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got first coat of easyprim on. But due to humidity and my uncalibrated roller I have decided to wait till friday to scotch brite it and then second coat on saturday. Maybe after that I can start with the easypoxy. Here is a peek at what it looks like now. And yepper thats a fish hanging over the hull. Its my wife's stop point.

DSCN0591.jpg

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? 2 try at primer

Re: clean hull with? 2 try at primer

Well prep is everything as I found out. So to make a long story short start over. I went back to my fairing board and commenced to sanding. What I found was the pitting on the metal flake is what was causing all the trouble. I re faired the entire boat, sanded and refaired it again. Got it smooth this time snot slick smooth. Hey you used the term not me. But it works for description. Any way now I have reapplied first coat of easyprim and it is looking much much better. The coverage is not the best right now but some places have more primer then others due to refairing and how much sanding was needed. I figture 1 maybe 2 more coats and I will be good to go for painting. here is what I have now.

Now when I get to painting it again calls for 4 mil wet thickness. Would I be better off to go a bit thinner and let it cure for 7 days between coats. Yes I know that is more sanding but I want a hard finish and don't want to risk having a soft undercoat that will require more work later. Eye calibration is a bit off for 4 mil. Also Pettit calls for resanding with 220 grit. I have read that this may be to course and that a 300 grit is better. What is your opinion? I don't want to have to redo this part like I did the primer. Also I have a fellow that will spray the last finish coat for me if need to get that perfect finish if needed.

IMG_0239.JPGIMG_0241.JPGIMG_0240.JPG

zool

Captain

4 mils wet nets out about 2+ mils dry...thin coats isnt a bad idea, you just need to apply an additional coat, to get to spec...

220 isnt that course, just make sure the paper youre using isnt the course type, like diablo at HD....just dont hit it too hard with the da, but you need sufficient groove size, for the 1 part paint to adhere to..

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will be wetsanding with 220 emerycloth (i think it is) on about a 5 inch hand sanding block and an 8 inch fairing board using a large circular motion.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I will be wetsanding with 220 emerycloth (i think it is) on about a 5 inch hand sanding block and an 8 inch fairing board using a large circular motion.

So your done with the Poxy primer ? or are you priming still ?

220 is a bit much when prepping for paint ( well .. standard paint ).

Let the epoxy gas off .. then prep for your paint.

YD.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh I am done till after sanding. If I have any spots show through then I will spot prime them.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay gents
How thin is to thin for primer? If you see the original color peeking through is that to thin? I have a few places I need to touch up a few places that a scratch showed so I can touch up all spots if ya'll think I should.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I don't like to see anything but primer. I'd shoot another coat.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats what i am going to do. Should I rough it with 80 grit or leave it with 220 before i apply more primer?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Primer 220 Paint 320

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have always done a 120 profile with primer .. then a 400g for paint for full spray.

If your going to spot prime then you should actually spot spray the spot primes before you spray the full.

Just tack coat the spot primes a few times before you go full blown Painting.

IMHO

YD.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1st attempt with ez poxy

Re: 1st attempt with ez poxy

Finally, got the first coat of ezpoxy topside on her. looks okay from about 3 feet away. Put it on thin so it would dry good (roll & tip). Now they say use Pettit 121 thiner for spraying, The 120 thinner for brushing feels like mineral spirits. Is that what they use to thin the paint? Will it dry just fine using that to mix it for spraying? Would I be better off to use thier thinner? Guidance please!!

Last edited:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
1st attempt pics added

1st attempt pics added

here is a few 5 to 7 ft pics. not to too bad for first I reckon.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very nice. I use a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Acetone to thin the EasyPoxy and obtained Excellent results. I think you would to.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

50/50 I can do that. Has to be cheaper then buying their special blend. Have you ever added hardener to it?

zool

Captain

Looks good mc, youre on your way, but at 1st i couldnt figure how you missed that big clownfish shaped imperfection in the middle of the hull hehe..i had to look close :D

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL yea thats the wife's stop point. Simple thing lets her know when she is in far enough for garage door to work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, I added hardener to mine and it worked great.