clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with?

Re: clean hull with?

well got her flipped today. Here is my helper. Worked right good to. Should I block it on the ground with cinderblocks and wood or back on trailer upside down. Here is a few bad spots I found, reckon I need someone/epoxy to fix them. Also found this dip in the hull which is same on both sides so I think it belongs there.

Attachments

• flipstand.jpg
    flipstand.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • gel1.jpg
    gel1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • cip.JPG
    cip.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sagging.JPG
    sagging.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: clean hull with? Flipped hull with cracks in gelcoat

If this dip is in the hull when it's right side up:
attachment.php

The hull might have a hook. It's possible that it's supposed to be there, or that it's hanging upside down and was designed to be supported from below by the trailer or water.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talked to a bunch of ranger owners and they all said thier boats had it also. Seems it helpss with hole shot and porpusing. So all is good there. will grind out the broken gelcoat and patch the on to paint.

jbcurt00

Staff member

good news then. Great!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? gelcoat viods

Re: clean hull with? gelcoat viods

Okay guys I got about 10 spots like this and this is the worst one. Fix with gelcoat repair, epoxy or fairing compound. I am painting so no need to match.

gelcoat void.jpg

Seems I keep finding little things that need fixing. So far none are my fault so I reckon I am doing ok.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Dremel tool to clean it all out and feather the edges. Clean well with Acetone, Mix up some resin with some microballoons to the consistency of mayonaise to use as filler, or buy some 3M premium Marine Filler to fill em with. Sand, fair and you're ready for primer.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? another Question (4)

Re: clean hull with? another Question (4)

Can I fill these on my pad the same way? I think they are to deep to sand out, but to many for me to try and grind and fill. They are easy to feel and you can see the depth in person not to sure about on here. Some are close to 1/32 to 1/16 inch deep. Can I just fill with 3M filler, sand and fair then prime? Willing to sand it but won't that make it awful thin on the pad

keel.JPG

Last edited:

zool

Captain

You can skim coat it, just clean it 1st, sand, and clean again, youre gonna take off almost all the filler you put on, except what stays in the scratches. You may want to block sand it by hand on a large flat area like that.

After you think youve filled all the scrapes and scratches, run your hand over everything and find any remaining imperfections,particularly on the sides and cap. Your getting to the point where you wont be touching the surface with bare hands anymore. After the final clean and prime, any imperfections left will be handled with primer and possibly a guide coat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you mix up some resin and some microballons to the consistency of Ketchup for a "Skim Coat" like zool says and then use the High build primer it will be as slick as snot on a doorknob!!!!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

slick is good. I wear gloves now to keep oil off where I sand. Tomorrow will tell the tale, all day planned for this.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? questions 4 & 5

Ah yes slick is good. Not snot slick but if it was primer would not stick. :rolleyes:

snot slick.jpg

Now it don't look like much but man was it uneven so it is leveled following original contour. I used a stick go flat aluminum to check level.

No I have to be gone all next month. Now can I store my boat upside down. I have braces under stern and bow. I can lower the tent to cover the haul allot better and still allow air movement.

storage.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd put a couple of nylon straps around her to help support the sides and then I wouldn't worry about it.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got straps since that is what i flipped her with. Can I roll on primer or does it have to be sprayed? Wx will not work with in my plans. High wind and rain.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep Roll n' Roll works just fine with primer.

zool

Captain

I noticed you named the jpg "snot slick" lol...looks good ;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? opinion needed

Need opinions:
Hull is going to be Black (grey area upto step in sides), Since it is trailered boat I was tghinking flat instead of gloss, might not show marks from loading and unloading as bad. Also on transom I was thinking only the flat surface were the jackplate is would be black also.
For the sides I was thinking red like it is with the strips in black gloss. What do you guys think about red (gloss) and heat, will it get to hot and fade bad, or would white (gloss) be a better choice. I know if it gets scratched white would be an easy fix since white is white, it may be easier to match then red. I have never seen 2 cans the same color if not white which may not be exact but alot closer of a match then a dark color.

I hope this makes sence.

What say ye?

zool

Captain

I dont really see how flat would hide bunk marks, ect better than gloss, but i think it may be harder to clean off the flat than the gloss.

Fot the cap, white would be the way to go, its the coolest on bare skin, hides the imperfections better than color too. Color on only the hull sides would be my choice, complimenting the color with the canvas/carpet if any. JMO

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah good point on the cleaning. Man I got to start thinking a bit farther ahead!!

Recon I could just go all white and be done with it, Name it marshmellow.:facepalm:

Plan on using dark/light grey carpet on decks with a gray bedliner in the main floor. So I will have to match the grays as best I can. Carpet choice is because the carpet in the storage is like new and still stuck real good.

Could paint everything from rubrail down in gloss black and top cap in white with gray carpet tghat would look good to.

Going to buy primer today, so i need to make up my mind today also on color. Rain called for all week but have a window tomorrow 3/4 day with humidity down to 60% but rising in the late (3:00) afternoon. Think that would be pushing it?

zool

Captain

Black hull sides is nice, but its hard to keep, red really snaps against white, but its really a matter of preference. Just keep in mind that youre using a single stage paint (no clear) so the more colors you use, the more tape edges you get. With the gel, its easier to go multi color, because of the procedure of sanding down to the break lines without taping, paint is another animal all together.

A gloss black bottom, red sides and red stripe on the cap where the black flake is/was, then the rest white on top, could look sweet. The you could add contrasting Ranger decals where the factory had them... just food for thought.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? primed x 1

Re: clean hull with? primed x 1

This is my first coat of primer. I think it came out okay considering. Neighbored decided to mow as I was half done, The bugs went to it like white on rice.

P1.jpgP2.jpgP3.jpg