clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with?

okay good and yes Ok. has taken a beating. I reckon ours is around the corner since they are predicting 5 named storms for the atlantic this year.

Reckon it would be okay if I sand the cracks to see how deep they are.

zool

Captain

Hi Mc, Sorry, I had to run up to PA today to open my cabin, so i wasnt around.

So I read your other threads, and viewed your photobucket, and it appears we're not gonna be sure if you have failed clear or gel. So lets just move on from that for now, since you will be sanding and sealing it all up anyway. But if it was cleared as a quick fix, its unlikely you would feel the flake, unless its been sanded/compounded back to the gel anyway.

Before you sand anything, you need to clean the area with soap/water, then use the surface cleaner (wax/grease remover). There are many brands of it out there, prep-all, prepsol, ditzo, acryliclean, yada yada, its all the same. Supermarine has one for their system too, SM-695 etching cleaner. You can use the TSP substitute (blue liquid with yellow label for about 5 bucks at home depot) for your test sanding.

You need to do this to decontaminate the surface so u dont push any impurities down into the substrate, which will come back to bite you later. Just take the undiluted tsp sub and put it in a spray bottle, and get a roll of the the blue shop paper towels. Spray the area wet, and wipe in one direction with the clean towel. Use a new sheet for each wipe. What it does is lift the contaminates up into the liquid, to be wiped away, if you smear it around, it will go right back on the surface.

Yes, you can use 120 grit or even 180 to remove the scratches and see what needs repair.

Whether you're using a d/a or hand blocking, be careful of those hard edges on your cap. You want to sand towards the edge, but not over it, or you will burn the edges and ruin the lines. It looks like thats been done already in one area of your pics.

Wipe it with acetone and post back a pic. Do the area you posted in this thread.

zool

Captain

"Not having the already looks like it has clear coat details here, you might have gotten poor advice about how to proceed on an already 'painted boat'."

And I thank you for pointing it out, I have a much better picture of whats going on.....

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

will do. Have rain moving in for next week but will have at it as soon as able. Zool I to have to run up to PA in July. Work calls lol.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guys I have question for you. But first I want ya to know how thankful I am you are willing to help. 2nd why I won't use some coatings on here. MEK = bad news for me. I done been sick from it once and wasn't even using it just got a big wiff of it.

Does pettit paints easypoxy paint and primer have mek in it?

jbcurt00

Staff member

google the MSDS sheet for it. Pettit should have it online..

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cleaned (x4) and sanded then cleaned again. Any place you see silver is rough except in the cracks. I can drag a finger nail across the cracks and not hang on them. They feel smooth to the touch so I am thinking that a good sandable primer will cover them just fine, or maybe a filler but it would be very thin. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• DSCN0579.jpg
    DSCN0579.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0580.jpg
    DSCN0580.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

so what is my options? Sand down to fiberglass, or hope and pray for the best.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No good easy way. Dremel tool and v groove out each crack and then fill with Thickened resin then sand and fair. I'm not saying it will happen just that it might. On my old boat I "Chanced" it with the High Build and 2 yrs later...So far So Good!!!;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think i will chance it also.

zool

Captain

Have you decided on a paint system yet?...I looked at the easypoxy msds (theres one for each color)..I looked at black and white, both did not appear to contain mek...

If you run with pettit, heres the application methods

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/tech_bulletins/ApplyingTopsideFinishes.pdf

They have a high build tie coat primer - Easypoxy White Undercoater 6149

They also have an epoxy primer.

Easypoxy is a 1 part system, easypoxy2 is the 2 part system. Both are single stage paints, so spot repairs down the road wont be so bad.

They also ave a fairing compound that is epoxy based, so you wont have to use mek with poly resin.

Pettit’s 7050 EZ Fair Epoxy Fairing Compound

also, your boat is going to be trailered right?..not left at the dock for extended periods of time?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes trailered. I was thinking about easypoxy since it is local. will awlgrip fiaring compound will that work with easypoxy? I was given some so I have to ask.

zool

Captain

You should be fine with most fairing compounds...

your "cracking" appears to be crazing, and not stress cracks, so youre ahead of the game there...

any other significant surface problems not shown in your pics?

also, since your not sure if you have clear gel or a clear coat like polyurethane, and arent sure if its water or solvent based, the single part easypoxy may be a safer route too, for compatibility issues. Easypoxy is actually a urethane. Plus its relatively inexpensive, and proven, as opposed to the SM, imo

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree about the Easypoxy single stage urethane.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes kind of. There are places were it is down to the flake in places. But a good sanding primer should handle that Or fairing compound since I will be in it anyways. Guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow during the tropical storm.

Attachments

• DSCN0317.jpg
    DSCN0317.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oops forgot, Easypoxy it will be. Also didn't help when I called SM again and asked the same questions to different person and wow different advice too.

zool

Captain

Have fun....we're getting the rain here too...another lost saturday it seems....

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Supposed to be like 30% chance here. So, I am going to take Bay boat and run down to Cape lookout and try to pester a few flounder.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Question. I plan on painting the hull and was going to just jack up boat and lay on back to paint it. What I want to know is can i back it up on some stands and place a saw horse under the jackplate? The stands are the kind you drive up on to change oil for a auto. This would put the boat about 10 inchs higher and a good A frame in front to hold the bow. The boat is completely stripped but for jackplate, steering and throtle control. The hull is only like 6 inch off trailer and trailer has only 14 inchs of ground clearance. The bunk supports are welded so they would be hard to move.