clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: clean hull with? opinion needed

Uhhmmm... Yeah, I'd say Yah Dun Right Good on that Primer Job!!!!
Thumbsup1.jpg

zool

Captain

:victorious:

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aw Thanks. I reckon I will sand and reapply in the morning if it is not raining. sure was allot of orange peel but nothing 220 and a light sand won't cure.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When you roll n' Roll use 2 rollers. The second one should be almost dry and use a Very light touch when re-rolling the surface. Doing this should alleviate almost All of the OP and yield a very smooth, almost spray like finish.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roger that on 2 rollers. However I may have a problem! seems my primer is still soft real soft. It is dry to the touch but you can move it if you apply pressure ti it. I checked the can (that I had shaken up at local paint store) and it has a bunch of krud in the bottom of it. Is it possible that I have old primer? I could not push a mixing stick in to what was on the bottom of can. I hope i don't have to remove all of it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, that's Not a good sign. the Good stuff in paint will tend to settle to the bottom. If it's not properly mixed then the paint won't properly cure. Another member is having the same issue. I HATE to say this but I really think this may be the problem. You indeed may need to start over. Primer should flash off and be dry to the touch in a couple of hours.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

lovely

zool

Captain

The tech sheet says this:

Why is the finish taking so long to dry?
There are some very common reasons why it may take longer than described for the finish to dry.
High humidity or excessive moisture in the air, can prevent proper drying of finishes. If it is very humid out and you can
wait until the next day to work out the project, try to do so. If not, bring your project into an air conditioned area or a
room with a dehumidifier. Be sure to have the air conditioner pulling in air from the outside, not re‐circulating indoor air,
as poor ventilation will also extend dry times.
Applying thick coats, or excessively applied paint films, will take much longer to dry due to solvent entrapment. This
occurs when the outside of the paint film dries faster than the inside, trapping solvents. The product will eventually dry,
just wait it out.
The finish will become harder and more durable over time as the solvents leave the film.

Its been very humid out lately, you may stil be ok..

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

well humidity is like 90% here now (was raining) but was 65% when I finished painting it. Seems to be drying just soft on surface but a bit harder under that. Since i rolled a real light coat (tack coat) to help with viscosity checks and then did a second just thick enough to cover the red and gray underneath it may :pray2: still harden. Either way I am going to take it back in the AM. Maybe I won't lose my cool with them.

So in worse case how do I remove it? Lots of sandpaper I am thinking.

zool

Captain

Yea, pretty much sanding it smoothly back to a solid surface, give it a chance to harden some more, or you will clog alot of paper, redo's are never fun, but at least it wasnt your topcoat....

I would take it back and ask for a discount, and transfer your new product to a new container before you reapply...those empty cans HD sells work good.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roger that on the new can. But They will mix it in the store right there in front of me this time. We will check it to be sure it is not all stuck to the bottom.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and question

Re: clean hull with? primer issue and question

Okay guys back to were I was yesterday morning.:facepalm:

stripped again.JPG

Now here is a video of what I was looking at.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B90odB5gJKLDMEM5X3BnN1MzRUk/edit?usp=sharing

Now for the interesting part. I called Magic Paints this morning. I talked to the chemist not a tech aid. Tom (that was his name) point blank with out a doubt said: (NO do not use this paint on fiberglass boats. It will not hold up.) :eek: Just thought I would share that little bit of info with you folks.

Now lets talk monies Pettit Easypoxy. I reckon I need primer, paint and do I need the Bio blue cleaner they recommend?

Also I am a newbie to this so how tough is it to get a good smooth finish using roll and tip. Does the brush have to be pulled straight or can the brush wiggle a little bit? I have severe shakes. Is it buff able in case I goof it up. With my luck on this I certainly will end up having to buff it.

What say ye one and all?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

OK, wait a minute, What primer were you using.  I re-read your thread and you said.."EasyPoxy it is!!!!"  Now you say you called Majic.  Did you use Majic Primer?  Which one?  This is why details are important!!!

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used magic but I am off to west marine to buy pettit. Sorry I forgot to pin that down.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Majic what? They have several different Primers. Which specific one did you use? Ok I will be calling them tomorrow and If in fact it will not adhere to fiberglass I will be amending my link.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tthe same one shown in your link. Magic paint rust preventative sandable primer.

Pettit easypoxy, primer and thinner ordered. be here wed of next week. So all I got's to do is 1. wet sand again, 2 but back on trailer upside down and park in garage. Easier said then done. Requires wife to move SRX outside. That will be a big I owe your 1 dear.

Then prime and paint.

zool

Captain

"Now lets talk monies Pettit Easypoxy. I reckon I need primer, paint and do I need the Bio blue cleaner they recommend?"

Thats their dewaxer/degreaser, like i said earlier in the thread, there are many brands and each system has their own "mix"....tho you will most like be be fine with the tsp you were gonna use, im kind of a fan of using the entire recommended system products, but ive had no issues mixing cleaner brands either, imo, the jury is still out on that....I have a half dozen brands on my shelves right now, ppg ditzo (dx440), ppg Acryliclean (dx330), Martin Senour 6384, Pettit Bottom Prep (95), ect..

Heres a link to help explain why the variations may matter....depending on the paint chemistry, and environment..

Surface Cleaners - Autobodystore

definately use the same brand primer and paint, and the same blend recommended for your topcoat.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stuck in PA now so I have a few questions.

1. On the top of my transom was a plastic piece that acted as the cap. Will it was broken into about 5 pieces. Is there a replacement I can build or should I just order through ranger or some other after market place?

2. Can I block off the front livewell and use it for storage? If so how would i seal it?

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay guys back home and going to tape off the boat tonight and prime in the am. I have re-sanded the entire hull with 80 grit and washed with soap and water. Then washed with about 1 cup of ammonia in a gallon of water 2 times. I plan to tape off the tow hooks on stern and bow hook this afternoon.

Which tape should I use the green or blue frog tape or just plain old masking tape?

Will wipe boat down with a paint prep solvent then start the rolling. 2 coats of primer with about 6 hours between coats. Have to recheck on that may need 8 hours. Directions say 4 mil wet thickness how thick is that about like a piece of notebook paper? I don't plan on tipping the primer since I am going to sand it anyways.

Then sand with 220 and wait for weekend to do first coat of easypoxy. More questions later.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Taping the chrome won't really matter which tape. I like the Frog. The Undercoater Primer should only should be good to go in a couple of hours. I don't think it's supposed to be 4 mils thick. Prolly only about 1 mil. You might consider using a 3M scotchbrite pad instead of 220 on the primer. You only need to knock the nubs off and scuff the surface a bit for the next coat. I'd use 220 on the last coat to give the first color coat something to "Bite" into.