calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

CORRECT ACTIONS ARE IMPORTANT HERE,,LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL WOULD DO??????

Sorry JJ, I read your post before but for some reason didn't realize you were really looking for a response from everyone. Then as stated above, other posts hit and next thing you know it's a page back. :grouphug:

Just taking the question as I see it, 15 mph winds won't be much of a factor to me if I'm not at anchor and I've been floating, relaxing in a bay. If he's in trouble and 1/2 way to this island, I know I need to motor over there, so first I need to immediately get any other passengers either on the boat or clear if they have life jackets. As this is happening I put on my life jacket, if it's not already, then motor over to the swimmer. Then, assuming he's conscious, first throw him the throwable then, in my case, pull him to the swim platform with the boat hook. If I had to jump in, I would tether myself to the boat first.

I've stated before that while we're out on Mead there's always someone left on the boat that can and has operated it. I'm extremely familiar with conditions as they are and how they can change on Mead, and the only time I'll ever have everyone off without a tether is when it's glassy conditions and just a cool-off stop. Even then I always check my surroundings for weather and other boats. In coves, we usually hang around the swim platform anyway. :cool:

sam60

Captain

View attachment 189452

I got home yesterday from a 3 day, 730 mile off road trip and had to drive through 60mph+ winds that caused the dust hitting us broadside in a topless vehicle. Not the funnest of times.

Yes, pretty nasty out. It was a dusty sky all day in Southern Nevada and it is blowing harder tonight. What is weird is that the wind can blow hard some days and it doesn't get dusty up high into the atmosphere and other days with less wind it does.

You weren't in DV were you 12v ?

fishrdan

Admiral

Nice pic Dan, river?

Yup! I've seen that herd (or another of that size) in the same area several times over the years.

we ran into a bunch at the monkey hole about 20 years ago...2 males ramming heads for about half an hour....

That must have been quite a sight! One I saw was accosting a barrel cactus with it's horns, thrashing it from side-side!?! I was thinking the sheep was either trying to get inside, or he had an itch :lol:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

You weren't in DV were you 12v ?

Yes, and many other valleys! Our 3 day trip included perfect weather (until the ride home!) and 500 miles of off road trails from near Johannesburg CA up through the Panamint Mts. and over to Beatty, NV then NW, almost as far north as Magruder Mtn, NV back down through the Saline Valley, up over Cerro Gordo Peak and down into the Owens Valley around the east side of the Haiwee Reservoir, then home sweet home.

We got to see so much, but didn't get to the Racetrack! It was running to late that day and we needed to cover too many more miles unfortunately to take the off-shoot from our course. Here's a few pics

IMG_1274.jpg IMG_1203.jpg IMG_1207.jpg IMG_1253.jpg IMG_1232.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks like a fun trip 12V! I'd love to do a trip up there,,, someday... I go through there several times a year visiting family out in Ridgecrest and it looks like a cool area to explore.

fishrdan

Admiral

Good that they found the airman, sad that LMNRA force it to take so long. Looks like a bunch of political BS :facepalm:

[Lake Mead water shortage]
If — or perhaps when — the lake hits the 1,075-foot mark, it will trigger a federal shortage declaration and force Nevada, Arizona and Mexico to cut their river use.

Under normal conditions, Lake Powell releases at least 8.23 million acre-feet of water downstream to Lake Mead for use by Nevada, Arizona, California and Mexico.

Did I miss something from the article, but why wouldn't they cut river use to CA also?

I heard on the radio that the Rockies were getting up to 2' of snow this week, but I think it was on the "wrong" side.

sam60

Captain

Good that they found the airman, sad that LMNRA force it to take so long. Looks like a bunch of political BS :facepalm:

I am also glad that the airman's body was recovered, bad news that it happened in the first place.

I was watching the Vegas local news last night and in the same 1/2 hour newscast, they reported the projected drops in the lake level and 10 minutes later they reported the snow in the rockies that will raise the lake level. :facepalm:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Did I miss something from the article, but why wouldn't they cut river use to CA also?

Hey, you don't want us coming out and stinking up the joint now, do you? :laugh:

Looks like good weather for the weekend. I'm heading out in the morning to work on the place and detail the boat. If you're in TBar stop by for a cold one!

Weekend Weather.jpg

sam60

Captain

Hey, you don't want us coming out and stinking up the joint now, do you? :laugh:[/ATTACH]

Bring QC and bruceb58 with you and close the valve on your way out! :D

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got out on Mead Sat. for my monthly Mead fix..My son and I fished Vegas Wash for 1 Large mouth...Water temp was 62-65..We were fishing a cove when out of nowhere fish and game showed up and checked our fishing licenses. No problem we had them and all was good...Another nice day on the lake....Jim.

fishrdan

Admiral

Hey, you don't want us coming out and stinking up the joint now, do you? :laugh:

LOL

I got out on Mead Sat. for my monthly Mead fix..My son and I fished Vegas Wash for 1 Large mouth...Water temp was 62-65..We were fishing a cove when out of nowhere fish and game showed up and checked our fishing licenses. No problem we had them and all was good...Another nice day on the lake....Jim.

Luck that wasn't me on one of my fishing trips last week, forgot my wallet at home and I wasn't wasting the 2 hours to drive back home to get it.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Don't tempt me man! :D

It was awesome weather this weekend. We went out on the water in a friend's boat Sat afternoon and had perfect conditions. There was only about 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot. :joyous: We went up to Hualapai to do some Spring cleaning in our adopt-a-cove.

I had to stop in Bullhead to visit AZ's Motor Vehicle Division on the way out Friday to register a Rhino we keep out there in the Summer. One thing I like about AZ is they seem to cut through the red tape on a lot these types of things. It literally costs me about 1/10 what it would have cost me at the CA DMV, and I was able to do a dual registration for on and off road.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I tried to attach a couple pics I snapped at the ramp, but they refuse to upload right now. I'll try later.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, flush twice...we need the water.................

[Lake Mead water shortage]
If ? or perhaps when ? the lake hits the 1,075-foot mark, it will trigger a federal shortage declaration and force Nevada, Arizona and Mexico to cut their river use.

Under normal conditions, Lake Powell releases at least 8.23 million acre-feet of water downstream to Lake Mead for use by Nevada, Arizona, California and Mexico.

I heard on the radio that the Rockies were getting up to 2' of snow this week, but I think it was on the "wrong" side.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

fishrdan way cool!!! i love to watch the big horn sheep too, I noticed you have a few self installed items on your boat,can you put a picture of the boat so we can see the rest of your creation..thanks . I hope all you meaders are ready for a great summer of boating

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I do hope we all have a safe and fun year out at Mead this year. I got a lump in my throat this morning listening to the radio... Child dies in Lake Havasu boating accident - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Man, that's tragic. It's the 2nd time I know of this year get killed by falling off the front and getting hit by the prop on Havasu. It also happened to a college kid about a month ago. A friend of mine rents pontoons there and said there has been no tolerance this year if you get caught riding on the front, which is as it should be.

QC

Supreme Mariner

no tolerance this year if you get caught riding on the front, which is as it should be.
So obviously stupid too. Hate this. When I see it I have come close to tracking them down myself. Makes me crazy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.