calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

2 guys left up the canyon toward the end of trip,but never seen again,indians maybe?
The original theory was Indians. There is even one theory now that it was Mormons. Thirst and Hunger are good enough for me. 2 guys, alone, walking from the Grand Canyon North to where? :facepalm:

fishrdan

Admiral

I bet that fuse panel costed a lot more than you thought it would.

Yup! About twice as much as it should have... The first cheap POS "marine" rated panel I got at BPS went south in 2 years, switches stopped working, one by one. (lots-o-fun fixin that in the dark) So I swapped it out with another panel that cost twice as much and haven't had an issue since, knock on wood.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

The original theory was Indians. There is even one theory now that it was Mormons. Thirst and Hunger are good enough for me. 2 guys, alone, walking from the Grand Canyon North to where? :facepalm:

yep,i didnt want to start any mormon stuff,As they ended up at or near calville they had 5 days rations left so hunger and thirsty was out unless it wasnt enough to keep them all happy to the end.There is always a important part of the story missing unless you read mine lol.Even if it shames me i will say it.

Just the thought of powell climbing up the canyon walls to get a bearing and make his maps was incredible.

As today we pull into coves and look for sandy beaches and good fishing spots,just imagine if you were making a map of mead for the first time climing up each cove mtns and getting a bearing.so hot and thirsty and having headaches and so on the whole time without going home to rest till the job was done.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Yup! About twice as much as it should have... The first cheap POS "marine" rated panel I got at BPS went south in 2 years, switches stopped working, one by one. (lots-o-fun fixin that in the dark) So I swapped it out with another panel that cost twice as much and haven't had an issue since, knock on wood.

mine was too, as a matter of fact i couldnt afford a negative one to this day and my neg wires are all wired to a long bolt and screw togeather haha.no problems though,positives are in a nice fuse panel with 10 junctions ranging from 3 to 15 amps.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Beware if you plan to boat out of Meadview! Meadview's only gas station running on fumes :eek:: Article

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Went out fishing saturday night after work,winds under 5mph and fish were biting good just outside of calville bay.
Funny thing was we went to sleep at 4am and woke up at 8am,winds between 10to 20 mph,started trolling and caught 2 stripers around 2lbs.The night before we caught 2 cats about 2lbs and one striper about 2 half lbs.anyway we were trolling and i heard my pole splash off the stern, as i turned around from driving i noticed it was still floating on top due to the cork handles.As we made a u turn my buddy forgot to reel in his line and it got stuck around prop, breaking just as we arrived on the pole location,the pole started going down as the fish got scared and started swimming downward just out of my reach, i grabbed my buddies pole and caught mine with it by the spinning reel area and pulled it aboard and landed the fish too.Then it took me a while to clear all the fishn wire off the prop.as the wind was blowing us into the rocky shore we used the trolling mtr to keep the bow in the wind and even had to drop anchor for a few minutes.

Now i started trolling again with it and this other boat was coming at me from port side and he had to give way to me, so he slowed down and then just as i barely passed him, he started speeding up real fast and just missed the stern of my boat by 100 ft and now once again the pole flew off the stern again and, dissapeared into the deep green and his prop i bet.After this we decided it was time to go lol...I was really glad the fish were biting good other wise i would have been really mad about the situations, but i didnt even say anything to the other boater.

Just wanted to share my story!!!(I even had pole holders under the console lol)

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Islands off of the Las Vegas Bay area along Lakeshore Road.

Mead Las Vegas Bay Area.jpg

Don't it look awesome!!

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any of you fine folks goin out for Memorial weekend?

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Any of you fine folks goin out for Memorial weekend?

Fine? Uh, well, I may not be in the fine group but I appreciate the thought :D
If you're interested, there's been some discussion earlier in this thread of a get together up at Sandy Point during the MD weekend with even a possible shot at a Grand Canyon run. The GC run is most likely a no go due to the lake level, but I'm still in for a bbq on the beach at SP or wherever.
It would have probably been more organized if we had started a thread for a get together like our ib friends back east have but so be it.
It's a haul for those coming from boulder basin, so a bbq wouldn't work unless they planned on camping. We could also meet earlier to give those from BB time to get back in daylight.
I'll even make a trip to BB if the majority want to meet somewhere there. The Temple Basin tends to have only a small fraction of the boat traffic as BB, especially on big weekends, and this is usually the biggest, so the chances are better of getting a nice big beach around there.
I'll be out in the Temple Bar area for 5 days starting the Wed before. My hat's in :yo:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Meadview Market closed yesterday so right now there is no place to get fuel there. It was also the main place to shop for standard food staples for miles.
Nancy Lou's Country Kitchen has said they will try to help the best they can by offering ice, milk, bread, eggs, lettuce, onions, salad dressings, salsa, salads and anything else they may have that you need. They now have coffee and donuts to go also, along with everything on their menu.
Also, Fisherman's Landing has stocked up on personal need items along with snacks and alcohol.
I hope this gets solved before the holiday weekend or that town's gonna be hurtin!

sam60

Captain

Went out fishing saturday night after work,winds under 5mph and fish were biting good just outside of calville bay.
Funny thing was we went to sleep at 4am and woke up at 8am,winds between 10to 20 mph,started trolling and caught 2 stripers around 2lbs.The night before we caught 2 cats about 2lbs and one striper about 2 half lbs.anyway we were trolling and i heard my pole splash off the stern, as i turned around from driving i noticed it was still floating on top due to the cork handles.As we made a u turn my buddy forgot to reel in his line and it got stuck around prop, breaking just as we arrived on the pole location,the pole started going down as the fish got scared and started swimming downward just out of my reach, i grabbed my buddies pole and caught mine with it by the spinning reel area and pulled it aboard and landed the fish too.Then it took me a while to clear all the fishn wire off the prop.as the wind was blowing us into the rocky shore we used the trolling mtr to keep the bow in the wind and even had to drop anchor for a few minutes.

Now i started trolling again with it and this other boat was coming at me from port side and he had to give way to me, so he slowed down and then just as i barely passed him, he started speeding up real fast and just missed the stern of my boat by 100 ft and now once again the pole flew off the stern again and, dissapeared into the deep green and his prop i bet.After this we decided it was time to go lol...I was really glad the fish were biting good other wise i would have been really mad about the situations, but i didnt even say anything to the other boater.

Just wanted to share my story!!!(I even had pole holders under the console lol)

That sounds like it was a wild trip jj ! It also sounds like it was kinda fun and a memory that you can share with your Daughter while on the lake someday! :joyous:

sam60

Captain

Meadview Market closed yesterday so right now there is no place to get fuel there. It was also the main place to shop for standard food staples for miles.
Nancy Lou's Country Kitchen has said they will try to help the best they can by offering ice, milk, bread, eggs, lettuce, onions, salad dressings, salsa, salads and anything else they may have that you need. They now have coffee and donuts to go also, along with everything on their menu.
Also, Fisherman's Landing has stocked up on personal need items along with snacks and alcohol.
I hope this gets solved before the holiday weekend or that town's gonna be hurtin!

Man, that really sucks, I hate to see that happen to what is one of the few lake communities in existance at LMNRA. :grumpy:

Edit: Left out that it is great to see the community pull together. Also cool to have 12vman give them some love here! I hope it all works out for them.

Last edited:

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Thanks sam60,, it was a great little fishn trip.

my girl is getting so big now,my wife just showed me the first video tonight where she cries for daddy while hes working .. she has been to the lake once so far and cant wait for our next trip,hopefully there wont be as much sand in here swimsuit lol.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks sam60,, it was a great little fishn trip.

my girl is getting so big now,my wife just showed me the first video tonight where she cries for daddy while hes working .. she has been to the lake once so far and cant wait for our next trip,hopefully there wont be as much sand in here swimsuit lol.

That was quite a trip, one for the memory books. Cherish these times. Once they're gone your memories are all you have :)

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

For all those on or heading to south Lake Mohave by Katherine Landing: 20 min ago Per the National Park Service, Lake Mead National Recreation Area:

Portions of Cabin Site road will be closed May 13-15 to repair damage from a water line break.
Cabin Site Road will be closed from Katherine Spur to the Arizona Telephone Cove Road junction. A marked detoured route along Katherine Mine Road and Katherine Drive will provide visitors alternate access to Arizona Telephone Cove and Princess Cove.
The NPS regrets any inconvenience this temporary closure may cause.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Heck, it was 104 here today.

sam60

Captain

Heck, it was 104 here today.

That is very hot down there, even though you are a bit away from the coast! Henderson maxed out at 106 today but I was too late with the screenshot.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I heard there were grasshoppers migrating accross the region. Anyone get any samples on their car?

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I heard there were grasshoppers migrating accross the region. Anyone get any samples on their car?

I was getting gas last night at 11pm and there were so many there.I couldnt count them all if i tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.