My Struggles

Re: My Struggles

Good news that you are changing what needs to be changed. For the first time since I got my boat over 20 years ago I am enjoying it sober. I learned that I can enjoy my boat and any other thing I like WITHOUT drinking. Drinking is fun BUT there are lots and lots of things that can be more fun IF YOU ARE SOBER. good luck

treedancer

Commander

Things have got tough for me in the past 7 months. That is mostly why I haven't posted much since last August. The one major good thing is that I can say is "I have been clean and sober since August!" I'm to the point now that I don't miss the stuff at all.

The hardest decision for this years boating season is not docking my boat. This will be the first time since 1998 that I won't be spending any time at the dock. My wife is now working every weekend. I don't need to be unaccompanied without her around a bunch of party people. No need to give her any reason for suspicion. Hopefully I will still go to the lake and drop a line once in awhile. Its been hard, but I'm finding a better life......but I know life is still much better on a boat!

Keep it up OM if i can do it anyone can.:cool:

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

SS....that's awesome to hear! I've been lucky enough not to struggle with it myself, but it sure has impacted several people close to me (mainly my mom and dad). Both are gone now, and both are gone because of alcohol (dad died in a crash while he was drunk and mom pretty much drank herself to death). My point is, you're not just improving your life, your improving the lives of all that love you! Keep up the good work!

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats on being Sober for 7 months! Don't sweat the small stuff. Your wife's, or your schedule will eventually change and you will be back on the water again and enjoying it with a clear head!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was on a huge downward spiral, drinking myself silly for 2 years every night, alone. Although I was prob not as bad as you I sort of know where your coming from. Since I got my new job I have lost the urge to drink until I feel better. Mine was a combination of money troubles, crappy job and girl problems. I'm glad you made a good choice, happy boating my friend.

tallcanadian

Captain

That's good to hear, SS. Keep your stick on the ice until you get out fishing. Good luck. You'll have to change your name from SS Mayfloat to SS Canfloat.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

CONGRATS from a newbie.

One day at a time works pretty well.
Good Luck to you.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Life changes are always tuff SS. I recall waking up a long time ago and deciding hung over was no way to go thru life. Although I did not quit completely I can not remember the last time I over indulged. Congrats and hang in there. Nice to see ya posting again.

aspeck

Staff member

Hang in there, SS ... will say a few prayers for you as well ... the more distance you put between you and your old habits the more they will become just that ... old, as in distant, weak, and non-threatening. As you know, it is one day at a time. If there is anything I can do for you, just say the word, my friend.

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm glad to hear you are making positive changes in your life Wes. Positive actions bring positive results. I will pray for you that this is what happens from here on out.

Hang in there, stay strong and rely on whatever resources, including us here, to support you in this endeavor.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you.:)

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Sorry for the troubles. You're going down the right path, and I can FULLY sympathize with what you're going through.
But, the whole ordeal seems to have caused some changes for the good of your health, so maybe it's all a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain

Not sure why your last post isn't here, but I did have a chance to read it via email. It's a positive step in admitting your problems and don't feel bad for sharing. Things can only look up from here on out. I wish you nothing but the best. Share anytime.

mikeasb

Cadet

Six months and counting after 30 years of hard partying. Don't know for the life of me why I didn't do this sooner, life is so much more satisfying. Congrats and stay the course.

heycods

Captain

In time you will get to where it isnt an issue, I have been quit since 1996, I hardly think of it anymore. The Diabeti helps, who wants all that pain for several days ove a couple of beers.

sprintst

Commander

Good for you man. It's an easy trap to fall into.

It's nice not feeling like crap in the morning.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

SS congrats sir on the change for the better.

I will disagree with some here though on one point. I would say not to avoid the boat. find a different place for it or a different group to hang out with, but if you avoid the boat you will eventually blame being sober for not having fun on the boat.
you can have just as much fun if not more doing any activity without the juice. you can't always avoid it, sometimes you have to look it in the eye and just say NO on your own terms.
my dad quit 24 years ago and his life has gotten better each day.

better days chief.

jonesg

Admiral

SS congrats sir on the change for the better.

I will disagree with some here though on one point. I would say not to avoid the boat. find a different place for it or a different group to hang out with, but if you avoid the boat you will eventually blame being sober for not having fun on the boat.
you can have just as much fun if not more doing any activity without the juice. you can't always avoid it, sometimes you have to look it in the eye and just say NO on your own terms.
my dad quit 24 years ago and his life has gotten better each day.

better days chief.

True enough regarding avoidance.
When problem drinkers quit the problem dissapears.
When alkies quit the problem is just getting started.
Avoidance, for them, is not a solution, it causes bigger bust outs in the end.
I didn't quit, I surrendered.:)
Big difference.