Browser Lagging when replying to a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Browser Lagging when replying to a post.

I installed an AV program... scanned... and found nothing. Like i said before, any browser lags on Iboats. I have the hottest Imac you can buy with 16gigs of memory, so performance is not the issue.

I checked my download speed... 50Mb down, 10mb up... so that is not the issue.

I know what it is... it is the adds. The little add is not popping up on the bottom any more, and the forum is working a little better.

Friscoboater

Captain

I just took it out of full screen mode and it was smooth for a second, and then started lagging again. The forum is making my CPU usage spike.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A few years back, I had problems with this site being slow, really slow. The whole site, and only this site everyplace else I visited was fine.
Wife also had a slow one with every place else ok.
Then we changed Internet Service Providers, then this site worked fine, just like 99.9% of the people said it was when I was having problems. Her's worked better too.

Just something to think about.

NYBo

Admiral

A long shot: Change your DNS server.

Splat

Lieutenant

Are you using the mobile site? Scroll to the bottom right of this page and click on "Mobile Site"

Yes my phone defaults to the mobile site for this page. Still no joy.

Bill

toneeees

Administrator

An additional thought is that I have seen both Windows and Mac's experience "bandwidth throttling" occasionally. Some deeply imbedded 'feature' in the OS that has no real purpose in today's higher network speed world.

FWIW - when you are experiencing problems pop open your 'system monitor app' and see what is cooking with network, cpu, disk, etc. Also, run Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test on the various machines to see if you are getting substantial differences.

Some more good advice, most likely the browser you are using will be taking up most of everything.

I installed an AV program... scanned... and found nothing. Like i said before, any browser lags on Iboats. I have the hottest Imac you can buy with 16gigs of memory, so performance is not the issue.

I checked my download speed... 50Mb down, 10mb up... so that is not the issue.

I know what it is... it is the adds. The little add is not popping up on the bottom any more, and the forum is working a little better.

My guess is the ads, but I don't understand why it is affecting you two more then others. You're machine is more then twice as fast as my laptop running windows 7. I have no issues with pages loading or what you guys are experiencing.

I just took it out of full screen mode and it was smooth for a second, and then started lagging again. The forum is making my CPU usage spike.

Javascript and flash take a lot of CPU, both of which are in the ad.

Yes my phone defaults to the mobile site for this page. Still no joy.

Bill

Hey Bill, do you know what version your Android software is?

colonel_sanders

Administrator
Staff member

Test from Curt at iboats on my late 2011 MBP, 10.8.2, 4 gigs of ram, on Firefox 17.0.1 and am not seeing any lag. I'll try Safari and Chrome from my laptop later today. I can also test a MacPro 2010 and a PowerMac G5 if need be. Will follow up later.
Some more good advice, most likely the browser you are using will be taking up most of everything.

My guess is the ads, but I don't understand why it is affecting you two more then others. You're machine is more then twice as fast as my laptop running windows 7. I have no issues with pages loading or what you guys are experiencing.

Javascript and flash take a lot of CPU, both of which are in the ad.

Hey Bill, do you know what version your Android software is?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Why is it, that Mac users always try to propagate the myth that "More and More users are using Macs" I don't know anyone in my life that is using a Mac. And I have owned several!

This Mac vs. PC BS is getting real old.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why is it, that Mac users always try to propagate the myth that "More and More users are using Macs" I don't know anyone in my life that is using a Mac. And I have owned several!

I just bought a Mac Book Air. Now you know one. Of course I am also running Windows 7 on it as well as Mountain Lion.

southkogs

Staff member

... well, I don't know about propagating a myth. But I do know that Mac usage (based on unit sales) has been consistently in a growth mode over the last 8 years (often nearing 20%). Windows/PC has been declining toward levels close to the mid 90's, though they maintain a substantially healthier share of the market place than Mac does (typically around 14%) on the overall. iOS like the phones and the tablets have a lot to do with that, of course.

No offense MT - it was low hangin' fruit, and I was gonna' post on this thread tonight. If it's any consolation, I'm running a Windows partition on the Mac too :D

This particularly chiding post did lag, though I've had two others tonight that did not. I'm not experiencing any performance issues that I can identify (as per Ted's post). So little real change in my situation.

** as a note of interest: When I hit "reply with quote," the post was lagging (typed all of what is up to the asterisks). Then I did a <SELECT ALL>, <COPY>, cancelled the post and went to the "reply to thread" window. <PASTE>, and this is typing with no issue whatsoever. At least for me, it has something to do specifically with "reply with quote."

I'm planning on bumping the OS to Mountain Lion in the next few days - perhaps that'll make a change too.

Hope I'm helpin', and not just bellyaching.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I just bought a Mac Book Air. Now you know one. Of course I am also running Windows 7 on it as well as Mountain Lion.

Bruce,

In my wife's business we have owned several Mac's over the years, in some ways, they work better when doing graphical jobs, we now pretty much use PC, in the internet world, I have never seen a Mac be better than a PC. There is just to many things in the pipeline that can cause problems between the computer and the server, so to say Mac is better is like saying Ford is better than Chevy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I bought my my MacBook Air because its an awesome piece of hardware and couldn't find a Windows PC that could stand next to it.
I am basically a Windows person. My desktop at home and work is Windows based.

UncleWillie

Captain

It is not just a Mac problem.

I am using IE8 on a PC.
Reply with quote has a long lag time until the typing catches up.
Switching to Advanced speeds it all up.

The permanent Quick reply box at the bottom works at full speed.

I have had the problem for a few weeks.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well it's changed a bit..for the last two days using explorer i get this...now what.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well it's changed a bit..for the last two days using explorer i get this...View attachment 178389

Just a blank screen when editing and double posting in chrome.....:lol: but i can edit.

southkogs

Staff member

Well ... OSX 10.8.2 doesn't seem to be making a difference. Still and intermittent lag when using "reply with quote."

Don S

Well it's changed a bit..for the last two days using explorer i get this...View attachment 178389

Just a blank screen when editing and double posting in chrome.....:lol: but i can edit.

I've run into that same grayed out screen myself in the last few days. Using Chrome.

toneeees

Administrator

I myself have noticed this, it's like the page isn't loading completely. I'm pretty sure I know what is causing that and we are working on it. A simple refresh of the page usually fixes that problem.

I haven't found a solution to the slowness in replying. I've tried on several different pcs, and actually got to test it out on a few macs in the office. Sorry guys, still looking for things to optimize so that it stops lagging for you.

Don S

I myself have noticed this, it's like the page isn't loading completely. I'm pretty sure I know what is causing that and we are working on it. A simple refresh of the page usually fixes that problem.

It used to happen about every dozen or so threads, it's increasing, and most of the time now happens every 3 post or less.

UncleWillie

Captain

I just noticed lately that occasionally you will get a "Reply with Quote window" WITHOUT the FORD ads on each side.
When the FORD ads are missing, the reply window is not slow.

Another related complaint; Occasionally the Ford ad launches for no apparent reason and takes forever to load. (30+ Sec)
They can't be aborted and you can't hit the BACK button until they complete loading.

I am starting to hate Ford, and I own one! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.