Browser Lagging when replying to a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Browser Lagging when replying to a post.

I have tried everything. Any browser I use when I press the quick reply button, or edit, things start to lag. So slow, it is making it a chore to post anything. I am a member of alot of forums and it doe not do it there. Could it be all the ads that are on the forum? The little on at the bottom keeps popping up all the time!!!! Int there a way to disable it as I have seen it 4 million times?

Jay, out of curiosity are you using any firewall as it might be checking things for you and will slow things down, as for the adds if your using firefox you can install a couple of plugins that will stop those adds from popping up adblock plus 2.2.1 and ghostery 2.8.3

So far I don't see any delays in the quick reply, call me lucky.

southkogs

Staff member

Been doing a lot of browsing on safari and still haven't had any issues.
On Mac or Windows? It'd be interesting if Safari worked fine on Windows ... it'd also give the PC guys some much needed ammunition, so keep it on the QT okay? ;)

It's intermittent for me, and has varying degrees of lag ... this post is slow, but not as bad as some others.

toneeees

Administrator

On Mac or Windows? It'd be interesting if Safari worked fine on Windows ... it'd also give the PC guys some much needed ammunition, so keep it on the QT okay? ;)

It's intermittent for me, and has varying degrees of lag ... this post is slow, but not as bad as some others.

I've got some more ideas to test out and see if they fix the issue. So far nothing for me has slowed down. I'd like to hear from another Mac user on this one.

Splat

Lieutenant

I'll throw a wrench Into the system too, its terrible trying to reply on my android phone. I mainky surf from my phone, this is the only website I have problems with. VERY poorly designed to be accessed from a android browser

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Splat,

Most of this software was designed before the smart phone/tablet market even came into being. My wife does websites for a living and it is impossible to create a website that will work with all of the different variables that now exist in the market.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'll throw a wrench Into the system too, its terrible trying to reply on my android phone. I mainky surf from my phone, this is the only website I have problems with. VERY poorly designed to be accessed from a android browser

Are you using the mobile site? Scroll to the bottom right of this page and click on "Mobile Site"

toneeees

Administrator

Are you using the mobile site? Scroll to the bottom right of this page and click on "Mobile Site"

It should default to this for mobile users. However, there's a few versions I may have missed. If it doesn't catch your mobile browser, then do as Don says and click the "Mobile Site" link.

tpenfield

Staff member

It should default to this for mobile users. However, there's a few versions I may have missed. If it doesn't catch your mobile browser, then do as Don says and click the "Mobile Site" link.

(doing some page load testing at the request of Toneees)

Testing this with IE on WinXP

1.5 seconds to load page

tpenfield

Staff member

Testing this with Mac OSX & Safari

About 1.5 seconds to load

Testing this with Mac OSX & Firefox

About 1 second to load . . .

pretty much the same across the browsers

tpenfield

Staff member

When loading the forum main page seems to be the most delayed. Individual posts seem to be fine (?)

"ad.trun.com" is hanging in Firefox . . . not as bad with IE . . . Safari is OK. So, maybe it is the ads not loading fast enough.

Sort of intermittent . . . the delay comes and goes.

(these last few posts were done at the request of Toneees)

toneeees

Administrator

Thank you for doing that. Just wanted to see if it the operating system really mattered or not. Maybe it is the ads? You can try AdBlock? My only concern is that it may slow things down a bit more. I'll check around on other forums and see if any one else is having a similar issue.

Try this. I've made it so the quick reply is showing constantly. I'll leave it like this if it somehow fixes the issue you guys are experiencing.

southkogs

Staff member

Thank you for doing that. Just wanted to see if it the operating system really mattered or not. Maybe it is the ads? You can try AdBlock? My only concern is that it may slow things down a bit more. I'll check around on other forums and see if any one else is having a similar issue.

Try this. I've made it so the quick reply is showing constantly. I'll leave it like this if it somehow fixes the issue you guys are experiencing.
Just trying out "reply with quote" which is where thing seem to slow up the most, and this reply is typing just fine.

BTW - I'm having no problem loading the pages, and I'm not running any ad blockers outside of Safari (I am running the native ad blocker in Safari). It's only when I hit "Reply with Quote" that things are slowing down - and it (at least seems) is only what's going on inside the reply window. Dunno' if that makes sense or not.

Like Ted said, it is intermittent.

Thanks guys.

Friscoboater

Captain

The issue is only on a my Mac, and I have tried two or three. If I use my laptop it is fine. Yes i know this will give the PC guys joy, but remember, more and more people are using Macs and it would be smart to figure out this issue.

For the record, I have not firewall software at all ( I have a mac)
Also have no antivirus (I have a mac)
I have rebooted numerous times with no change

I have seen this happening on another forum that has alot of ads in the sidebar, and that pop up along the bottom. I think it might be a java thing, and Macs have really disowned Java due to all the security issue with it.

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The issue is only on a my Mac, and I have tried two or three. If I use my laptop it is fine. Yes i know this will give the PC guys joy, but remember, more and more people are using Macs and it would be smart to figure out this issue.

I have seen this happening on another forum that has alot of ads in the sidebar, and that pop up along the bottom. I think it might be a java thing, and Macs have really disowned Java due to all the security issue with it.

With no disrespect, if your connected to the Internet your mac is selectable to anything anyone can throw at your mac..
Virus's Trojans not so much malware the same as any other computer..

Mac Virus FAQs: Do You Really Need Mac Antivirus Software?

and if Government computers can be violated so can yours.

And who really knows what is in most of these advertisements we are constantly bombarded with, the thing is even cell phones can get viruses, so your not immune.

Who really know what issues Java has or doesn't have, do we really know what issues the Adobe Flash player has as all these websites are really putting a lot of trust in Adobe Flash Player, what other choices do we have, not many..

Microsoft has been around since April 4, 1975 and has some of the best programmers in the world and they still have many security updates for any variety of Windows software available..

This may or may not be your issue here, but if your computer, mac or other wise, is lagging in any respect, it might not hurt to check it out and take precautions.

just saying

tpenfield

Staff member

Since I tested my Mac with good results on replying to messages, it does not seem to be a universal issue with Macs. It may be worth putting Sophos AV on your Mac ( I assume that this is an Intel Mac ?). Also, which browser are you using? I have found that the Mozilla Firefox is less compatible with the Forum software than Safari.

If you want a real trip, try posting to the forum with an iPad :D

tpenfield

Staff member

An additional thought is that I have seen both Windows and Mac's experience "bandwidth throttling" occasionally. Some deeply imbedded 'feature' in the OS that has no real purpose in today's higher network speed world.

FWIW - when you are experiencing problems pop open your 'system monitor app' and see what is cooking with network, cpu, disk, etc. Also, run Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test on the various machines to see if you are getting substantial differences.

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^^ Thanks Ted. I'll give it a whirl and watch it for a bit.

Toneeees - thanks for lookin' at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.