Browser Lagging when replying to a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friscoboater

Captain
Most of the time when I click reply to post and use the little box at the bottom of the screen, my browser starts to lag really bad. What I mean by that is I can finish typing a sentence, and the first work is just showing up and you can see the cursor adding a letter I typed 10 seconds ago. You cannot scroll or anything until it catches up. I am using a really fast iMac, and it happens on all browsers. Has anyone else had this issue?

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Browser Lagging when replying to a post.

I've experienced it intermittently for the last couple of weeks BUT only when I "Reply With Quote." I can copy the quote, cancel the reply and hit "Reply to Thread" at the bottom and type normally.

Like Frisco said, it's on every browser (I typically run Safari) and I'm on a Mac too (Macbook Pro). It's intermittent though, and I can't seem to establish any sort of pattern.

Hmmmmmmm... :noidea:

... cool new smileys though :)

Friscoboater

Captain

If I go advanced it is fine, but inside the thread is lags every time.

I just updated java to see if that was the issue... nope.

southkogs

Staff member

Just replied to another thread just fine, and hit this one okay too (both quick replies, hitting "Reply with Quote"). Are you running Safari on 10.7.5?

toneeees

Administrator

Have you cleared out your cached files and temp files? I know this little box I'm replying in now does an auto-save. Maybe there's too many auto saves?

I guess that would only affect the most used browser, not all of them. I'll look into any possible causes on our end. Thanks for pointing this out friscoboater.

bassman284

Commander

Have you cleared out your cached files and temp files? I know this little box I'm replying in now does an auto-save. Maybe there's too many auto saves?

I guess that would only affect the most used browser, not all of them. I'll look into any possible causes on our end. Thanks for pointing this out friscoboater.

test test test test testtest testtesteteseteseteets.

Well, I don't know. I'm using a 10 year old Dell with XP and Chrome and getting no delay in replies. Scrolling up and down a page is noticeably slower than with my laptop using W7, but replies seem to move right along. Makes me think it has to be local to your computer some way, but no idea how.

Mouse dragging does seem to be a little slow and jerky.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In case you are one of those guys that never shuts the computer off. Shut it off, and re-boot. Windows does some funny things when it's been on for too long. Clear your temp files, and I would bet things work great after that.

What operating system and browser are you using?

Friscoboater

Captain

I use a Mac Mountain Lion 10.7.5, and it happens on all browsers. Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I have cleared cache, rebooted, updated everything, and it still lags when replying to a thread inside the thread. If I go advanced it is fine. It is better tonight, but still noticeable.

southkogs

Staff member

In case you are one of those guys that never shuts the computer off. Shut it off, and re-boot. Windows does some funny things when it's been on for too long. Clear your temp files, and I would bet things work great after that.

What operating system and browser are you using?
Yeah, that's not it ... I reboot at least once per day. I'm getting the lag on this reply too ...

Mac Lion 10.7.5 using Safari. I'm trying to think why it might be a "Mac thing?"

Friscoboater

Captain

I reset everything, and am still having the issue. I had the same issue on other boards too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Could also be a problem with any popup blockers you may have, anti-virus program, firewall or ?????
Disable one at a time until and see if it cures the problem.

Just making suggestions for things you may try.

southkogs

Staff member

Could also be a problem with any popup blockers you may have, anti-virus program, firewall or ?????
Disable one at a time until and see if it cures the problem.

Just making suggestions for things you may try.
Thanks Don & forgive me if I sound "know it all-ish" ('cause I certainly don't). I'm posting stuff mainly to help the tech dude(tte)s out.

No add blockers - no plug ins - no anti-virus. Just the native Safari app for Mac (in fact, I just re-installed OSX Lion yesterday). Like I said the lag is intermittent. This post is actually typing just fine.

Friscoboater

Captain

Same here. Standard Mac OS with Safari. No I noticed it happens more with pictures... whoa.. correction it is doing it now. Had to switch to advanced. Anyway. Pictures make it WAAAAAY worse.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have tried everything. Any browser I use when I press the quick reply button, or edit, things start to lag. So slow, it is making it a chore to post anything. I am a member of alot of forums and it doe not do it there. Could it be all the ads that are on the forum? The little on at the bottom keeps popping up all the time!!!! Int there a way to disable it as I have seen it 4 million times?

southkogs

Staff member

It's been really bad today. I can't find anything that makes sense to me.

"Reply with quote" = sloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww

"Reply to thread" = fine, no problem.

Photos don't seem to change either equation for me. Weird.

Y'all aren't tryin' to get rid of us Mac guys are ya'? ;)

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It's been really bad today. I can't find anything that makes sense to me.

"Reply with quote" = sloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww

"Reply to thread" = fine, no problem.

Photos don't seem to change either equation for me. Weird.

Y'all aren't tryin' to get rid of us Mac guys are ya'? ;)

Just trying a "reply with quote" to see what happens.
Seems to be OK here. Normal speed; no lag.
Using Acer Chromebook.

NYBo

Admiral

Have you rebooted your modem/router? Any chance someone is stealing your WiFi signal and clogging up the works?

bassman284

Commander

Well, it does appear that the problem is limited to Mac users, NTTIAWWT. Just sayin'. I mentioned my old Dell above just for an example of a really old, S-L-O-W computer which seems to have no problems here. All I can say to the Mac guys is, GET A REAL COMPUTER!!!!!. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

southkogs

Staff member

Have you rebooted your modem/router? Any chance someone is stealing your WiFi signal and clogging up the works?
I login to iBoats from work (hard or wireless connection on Windows Enterprise), and from home typically hard wired into my router, but sometimes wireless (Netgear router running into Comcast Cable). No difference one to the other. It's gotta' be something with the Mac.

If the pipeline was clogged it would happen when I "Reply to Thread" too, but it only happens when I "Reply with Quote."

Unlike friscoboater, I'm not getting any popups though.

ADMIN: if this isn't helping you any, it's okay to just tell me to shush and deal with it :) I've got an okay work-around going.

toneeees

Administrator

I login to iBoats from work (hard or wireless connection on Windows Enterprise), and from home typically hard wired into my router, but sometimes wireless (Netgear router running into Comcast Cable). No difference one to the other. It's gotta' be something with the Mac.

If the pipeline was clogged it would happen when I "Reply to Thread" too, but it only happens when I "Reply with Quote."

Unlike friscoboater, I'm not getting any popups though.

ADMIN: if this isn't helping you any, it's okay to just tell me to shush and deal with it :) I've got an okay work-around going.

I'm still not positive what is causing it, other then something on the user side. I have tried the main browsers, a few different versions of them and still don't experience a lag. I'm downloading Safari now to see if there's anything different there.

Safari hasn't had any issues yet. Any other Mac users experiencing this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.