Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

We just joined up with Bohemia Vista Marina but I can't make their webcam work. Is anybody familiar with webcams in that area so we can check water conditions before we ever head out? Maybe one around Turkey Point, Bohemia, etc.?

Thanks,
Desera
Hi Desera!
I am not aware of any webcams there, but this one is at Tidewater Marina in HDG.
http://www.tidewatermarina.com/weather.asp

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would the view from the Tidewater camera be good indication of how it will be over by Turkey Point / Stemmers Run area? I'm new to this boating so I don't have any of this tide stuff figured out. I thought there was a small craft advisory for today? It looks decent out on that camera...

skargo

Banned

Would the view from the Tidewater camera be good indication of how it will be over by Turkey Point / Stemmers Run area? I'm new to this boating so I don't have any of this tide stuff figured out. I thought there was a small craft advisory for today? It looks decent out on that camera...
TP is typically an iffy spot, IF it's going to be rough, it's rough there.

You will be fine tomorrow, come around TP, go up the NE river or go around the flats to Sand Island, I bet the water will be flat, other than wakes.

I think there were small craft advisories all 3 times I went out this year, 2 times it was flat, and once a little rough, but not too bad.
Tell us about your boat.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i'v come from northeast river or the bohemia and the water was nice till i got to tp. That area has a mind of it's own..lol

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome. When you guys say you camp and sand islands do you mean only by boat or can you actually toss a tent out there? Just curious.

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

raunch,

As for the "view" your getting from the web cam, it sounds to me like the marina needs to adjust where it's pointing. You have no control over that from your computer.

Yes, the web-cam view at Tidewater will give you a general idea of conditions, but you need to be aware (as stated above) that Turkey Point is a major convergence point of waterways, not to mention the boat traffic. It's always choppy there. :eek:

I would say depending on the size of your boat you'll need to figure out the tides pretty quick if you're talking about zipping around the S Flats. (The water can and does get pretty skinny there) I didn't see you mention how much water you draw, so that will be your first order of business if you new to boating. Knowing how much water you need to avoid running aground will make your first year of boating much more enjoyable. If you're an iPhone user, there's a free App called "TideApp" that I use as a quick reference before I even get to my boat.

Boating is probably one of the things my family and I enjoy doing more that anything else, and the anticipation every season is unbelievable. Anything you can do to ensure it's a fun and SAFE experience will only add to your memories. I would highly recommend taking a safe boating course on-line, if not in person. There's enough goof balls out there that don't know what they're doing.

Have fun and look us up if you ever make it down to Fairlee Creek. We're in slip B-63. :D

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome. When you guys say you camp and sand islands do you mean only by boat or can you actually toss a tent out there? Just curious.

Tents are set up on Sand Island regularly. It's not an official campground and there is no enforcement whatsoever, so camping there is often 'pot luck' as far as who else would be there for the night.

skargo

Banned

Woohooo, got my seawater pump replaced. Even here in the tech section I couldn't find any advice, but I figured it out!

I came in to watch the Preakness. I'm going out to run it on water and see if it leaks, wish me luck!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

someone actually bothered to watch the preakness. I would have just been out on the boat.

all that waiting for 2 minutes.

skargo

Banned

someone actually bothered to watch the preakness. I would have just been out on the boat.

all that waiting for 2 minutes.
Since I was working on my boat, a 10 minute break was in order. I was busy making money today, tomorrow I relax.

No leaks on the new pump, I am relieved!

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We already ran aground coming out of the sass - we like to learn things the hard way. Luckily we found soft mud and there wasn't any damage. Since then I've been studying the charts and we just installed a Lowrance HDS-5 (this will be our first time out with it). I figured we can stay in the channel to go out and see sand island, right? Not planning on pulling up to it or anything.

I did take the online boating course - it's required by law (I just missed the mark).

If I remember correctly I was told the draft is 33". It's a 1998 20' Larson 206 Lxi BR if someone knows better...

We've been out around turkey point both times we've been out and both times the water seemed insane to me both times. The water in the Bohemia and Sass of course were great. We just always seem to retreat to the rivers, so it would be nice to to the other way. We'll see how the water is tomorrow - hubby wants to head out bright and early!

Desera

arks

Lieutenant Commander

We'll see how the water is tomorrow - hubby wants to head out bright and early!

Forecast is for a high of 72 and NE winds around 5 MPH.
Perfect!
Assuming you have a VHF radio, if you're still out after 11AM give "Winter Dream" a call on 16 or 09.
I come from Pa and have a few 'honey-do' chores before I can play!

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Desera,

lol...Sorry to hear about the grounding, but at least you found the soft stuff. You should be fine if you stay in the channels to and from Sand Island and HDG. I have a Lowrance on my boat and I love it. Keep in mind the dept measurement you see is probably going to be from the transducer to the bottom (factory default)...meaning if your transducer is attached to the bottom of your transom than the reading will not include the water depth above it....if this is the case you'll need to know how far below the level of your transducer your drive (trimmed down) sits.

Good luck tomorrow...Have fun. :D

We already ran aground coming out of the sass - we like to learn things the hard way. Luckily we found soft mud and there wasn't any damage. Since then I've been studying the charts and we just installed a Lowrance HDS-5 (this will be our first time out with it). I figured we can stay in the channel to go out and see sand island, right? Not planning on pulling up to it or anything.

I did take the online boating course - it's required by law (I just missed the mark).

If I remember correctly I was told the draft is 33". It's a 1998 20' Larson 206 Lxi BR if someone knows better...

We've been out around turkey point both times we've been out and both times the water seemed insane to me both times. The water in the Bohemia and Sass of course were great. We just always seem to retreat to the rivers, so it would be nice to to the other way. We'll see how the water is tomorrow - hubby wants to head out bright and early!

Desera

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I'm heading out to one of the local lakes to give the v-20 it's maiden voyage. So I'll be out, just not down there.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've spent the last few weeks reading this thread from the beginning so I can't feel help but feel like I know you all! Anyway, a VHF is next on the list, don't have one yet, you guys make me want one though.

After we ran the boat aground, my next step was getting the boat named "knot a clue" because it's the truth. I'll still look for you though, pretty sure you're big ol' boat would be hard to miss. And just incase anybody out there is uneasy with the idea of the newbie around - I'm insured!

Time to get ready to head out!

Desera

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me again... don't know if anybody is going to happen to ready this in the next 2 hours, but hubby said to ask you where to fish? (See, I want to zip around and waste gas but that's what we've done both times we've been out, so I guess it's his turn) *pouting*. A buddy of his said go to the mouth of the Elk River (wouldn't that just be Turkey Point?) Launching at Stemmers if that makes a difference.

Also, the transducer is actually in the boat under the engine which is weird to me, I thought it would have to be outside the boat, but this stuff is beyond me. Anyway, hubby said they book said it was a thru-hull transducer and that way we didn't have to put hole in the boat. So, if it reads only 1 foot (assuming my outdrive hangs down less than that, I'll look when I leave) then I'm good? That will throw me off, I'm glad you mentioned it, I would have been freaking out at 5', lol.

Desera

skargo

Banned

Desera,
I too need to find some good fishing spots. Haven't been in many years, but I have a nephew clamoring to go.

I have two depth finders, and one is just like yours, a shoot thru transducer. You can add or subtract to set your depth reading. I like to know actual water depth, so I set it by sticking a boathook in the water and setting it to match that depth.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OMG... We made it out and back in one piece!

What good day. Launched from H/G, criused up to Port Deposit and dropped anchor for a sandwich while on the water. Went up stream a bit then cruised down past the Tidewater Grille and Tidings Light before a run over to Carpenter point and back to retrieve. (I hated being low on fuel) but it was still a great afternoon!!!

Sunday is gonna be all about yard work and watching Nascar.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i just set up my thru hull tansducer. And I measured the depth at the transducer, then set the fishfinder to that depth.

I might go out and sail down the the sand islands

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Glad to hear some people made it out today!! It was a beautiful calm day on the water!!

We made a run to Chesapeake City. It went very well and we really enjoyed the ride. Saw some really nice big boats on the water too. What did the rest of you do?

Stan - How did the V-20 do on her maiden voyage?