Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

I have a wellcraft v-20 as well. One of the best riding boats for it's size!!!! Not a fast hull though. Mine has a 175 Merc with a 19 pitch mirage plus and at WOT it gps's 38-42 mph depending on load and water conditions.
My family had one back in the early 80's with a 175 on it and saw about the same speed. Great riding hull for sure!

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is where I was hanging for a bit on sunday. It is a nice, pretty clean little spot.

I did pick up a bag full of trash from some ignorant hikers though. They left foot prints and their entire picnic on the sand!!

I have gone there a few times now, I guess anyone can pull up there. It is part of the state park.

How far is the from the boat ramp and is it at the upper or lower end. Our summer home is right across from there where the high cliffs are. Your in a highly popular crabbing area any time after mid July on.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

How far is the from the boat ramp and is it at the upper or lower end. Our summer home is right across from there where the high cliffs are. Your in a highly popular crabbing area any time after mid July on.

I know that is a popular crabbing spot. That doesn't mean you couldn't go over there and hang out. I crab alot, I mean really alot. But just because your crabbing doesn't mean you own the bay!!! Besides, traffic gets to be a pain in the elk river channel after 10:00 am so the crabbing is usually done by then.

You on the high cliffs of elkview???? Where is your place in there?

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

If anyone stumbles upon a bimini top collecting dust or for sale let me know.:)

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always get such great responses in this thread, but I don't want to post off topic, so.... I was just hoping ya'll could bounce over to my other thread under the appropriate category of "electronics" and help me before we start to install this transducer on the OUTSIDE of the boat. Turns out it wouldn't work this weekend because we can't use it as a thru-hull. Whoops. Anway, please please please offer advice...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2663180#post2663180

Thanks,
Desera

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Next time give us a shout! Always like meeting new people. :)

We're tentatively planning another run to Chesapeake City this Sunday, May 23. We'll be taking my wife's parents out for the first time and plan to arrive about 12:30 or slightly later. Let me know if you're going to be around and I'll look for you.
You can see my boat in my avatar so you'll know what to look for.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

We're tentatively planning another run to Chesapeake City this Sunday, May 23. We'll be taking my wife's parents out for the first time and plan to arrive about 12:30 or slightly later. Let me know if you're going to be around and I'll look for you.
You can see my boat in my avatar so you'll know what to look for.

Hope that you guys have a great time and that your wife's parents really enjoy the boat ride. If we were down we would stop by and say hi. But we will actually be out in Seattle Washington preparing to board a really big boat for a week cruise to Alaska at that time. :D

We will keep an eye open for you in the future though.

What a night! I just got back from the Chesapeake! Only about 3 hours later than I planned! It sure was a night to remember! I'll post all about it later today!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I sure hope it was because it was a beautiful night with water like glass and no ther boats around instead of boat trouble or something like that.
I'm on pins and needles here waiting for the update... :)

Sorry its so long.. but this is the short version !!

Ashley (my girlfriend) and I got to TLM around 4:30. It was absolutely beautiful out, almost no wind and calm waters ! I was anxious to drive down and check out the Sassafras river because I have heard it's really beautiful. We headed toward HDG, Ashley was driving because she loves to drive, and there weren't very many other boats out. We were going to stop at the Promenade Grill but I told Ashley we should keep driving and we should try somewhere new to eat.

Before yesterday, the furthest south we had driven was the Sand Islands. We drove down to the Sass, but I didn't realize that my chart didn't have the Sassafras River on it. So we didn't go very far back. We hung out for 5-10 minutes and just floated while we decided what we wanted to do. We decided to check out the Elk River because that was on my chart.

It was pretty cool to see all the tugs and barges coming out of the Elk River, and I enjoyed navigating through their wakes. Ashley asked me to drive when she saw the barges. At this point, our plan was to drive back the Elk River and go to Walsh's Dockside to grad a bite to eat, and refuel. Once we drove past the C&D Canal our depth finder stopped reading. The water was pretty shallow in some places, only 2-3 feet. I didn't feel comfortable driving any further without a depth finder. I must have spent about 45 minutes trying to the get the depth finder to read but i couldn't fix it. My transducer is definitely bad because even when I held it over the side of the boat in the water I didn't get a reading.

It was probably 7:15 at this point, and we decided to head toward HDG to get food and fuel. Ashley was driving when she looked at me and said, "Hey babe, we're running low on fuel." haha

Uh Oh !!! :eek:

The gauge was reading 1/4 of a tank. Now, you have to understand, this is my first boat. I'm not new to boating, but I'm new to boating the Chesapeake. We have used the boat 6-7 times this year already, but we did a lot of floating, and some skiing/tubing. I have never let my fuel gauge get below 1/2. Since I keep my boat at TLM I basically fuel up every time we go out. To be honest with you, I really never noticed what the fuel economy of my boat was. Also, yesterday is the first time where we just drove for an extended period and didn't stop to float or ski or eat.

Anyway, my girlfriend asked me to drive (as if the boat was going to consume less fuel if i was driving.. haha) Basically, the boat died right when we got to Turkey Point. I probably could have made it much further if I would have driven slower..

It was now 8 o'clock. I didn't waste any time, I looked up the phone number to Boat US on my phone, and called them. I was not a member.. Ouch ! They showed up around 8:20, not bad right? I'm thinking that I would have just enough daylight to get across the bay and to the channel that runs to HDG.

First off, it took them like 10 minutes to tie up to my boat. Then, they were training a new guy so everything was being explained to him, and then they would tell me what to do.. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking, and day light is fading. I told them to bring 10 gallons of gas. I seriously took 10 minutes to put the gas in because they gave me this little funnel so I had to pour very slowly. Once I was done filling it with the gas they start writing up the paperwork.. Once again, they had to explain the forms to the new guy.. Wouldn't it make more sense to do all the paperwork while I'm fueling??? I'm a patient guy, but all said and done they took a good 45 minutes !! Only 10 of it was putting gas in..

It's now 9pm and dark.. The channel marker we needed to aim for didn't have a light, go figure.! But before it got dark I noticed these towers on the shore that had a strobe light, they were directly above the green marker we need to aim for. The bay was very rough and the wind had picked up significantly. It seemed like an eternity until we reached the green marker with a light.. It was ~ 3 miles from where we broke down. But since it was so rough and dark I couldn't even go fast enough to get on plain.

Ashley was using the GPS on my phone and the chart to tell me where to go.. She did a great job!! My trust was really tested though because there were several times when I "thought" we should head more this way, or more that way. The worst was going around sand cove because the channel is narrow there and windy and at this point it was low tide so I didn't want to get off the channel.. And remember, my depth finder wasn't working..

Its amazing how much your eyes will play tricks on you.. Once we got past Sand Cove it was pretty much a straight shot between the islands, so I sped up, just enough to get on plain. The water was like glass and we had the whole bay to ourselves !!!! :p

Once we got to the Sand Islands I felt so relieved because I am pretty comfortable with that part of the channel. Once we got to HDG my phone died !! But what's crazy is that earlier when I had called Boat US at 8, i shut off my Wifi, GPS, Gmail and a bunch of other things that suck the battery life out of my phone.. I can't help but wonder if I hadn't done that how much sooner my phone would have died. If my phone would have died before we reach the main channel then I would have started to worry.. A chart is useless when you don't know where you are on it.

Driving back through the Susky wasn't bad, and even though we never did end up getting to eat I wasn't hungry when we got to TLM because I ate at least 200 mayflies driving back.. haha

We ended up getting to the marina at 11pm.. So it took about 2 hours to get back.. But it was a good 16 mile trip from where we broke down.. We got home at 12am.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel very fortunate my gf and I arrived safely.. But that's a result of us using common sense and being safe.. We didn't rush to get back.. This was just a learning experience for us and I'm already laughing about it.. It might be another week or two until Ashley can laugh at it.. But I must give her credit !! She remained calm, and was an awesome navigator !!

skargo

Banned

What a story! Glad you guys were OK.

I think you might have been confusing the Elk with the North East river though!

skargo

Banned

I knew exactly where you were talking about. ;)

BTW, what did BoatUS charge for the fuel if you don't mind me asking.

I am a member and get their towing just in case.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I knew exactly where you were talking about. ;)

BTW, what did BoatUS charge for the fuel if you don't mind me asking.

I am a member and get their towing just in case.

Yeah I was curious as well. I am also a member with their unlimited towing just in case.

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you CC. That boating thing at night takes a little getting used to. At first it can be hard to tell which lights are on the water and which ones are on land.

Good job to both of you for keeping yourselves calm and collected while figuring out what to do. Hopefully you won't quickly learn from this lesson and become a better boater from it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!